What is Dress Code in MDR (Viking Sea)?

harryw

I've only sailed on O the past few years which I think was smart casual...no jeans but I was given a pass at breakfast.

I don't want to be publicly shamed, so what is permissible in the MDR?

Harry

The FAQ on the Viking web site anticipates most common questions.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/frequently-asked-questions.html

What Is The Dress Code?

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), pants or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues after 6:00 PM, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional.

The FAQ on the Viking web site anticipates most common questions.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/frequently-asked-questions.html

What Is The Dress Code?

Dress during the day is casual including shorts (if the season is warm), pants or jeans and comfortable shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center, pool areas and Sports Deck. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues after 6:00 PM, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional.

This seems basically the same as O. And reasonable. My

tux gathers dust in the closet; haven’t brought it on a cruise since giving up on Celebrity years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
People eating in main dining room dressed in jeans, sweatshirts and sneakers. Not my idea of elegant casual.

Nor, I believe, is it Viking's idea. However, they are fighting a losing battle with some people. Viking continues to recommend, and most people continue to adhere to the elegant casual. In my estimation, someone would have to stray quite far from that goal before they would be denied entry to the dining venues.

I've only sailed on O the past few years which I think was smart casual...no jeans but I was given a pass at breakfast.

I don't want to be publicly shamed, so what is permissible in the MDR?

Harry

Public shaming is not allowed in the MDR.

Elegant casual in MDR was very apparent on the Viking Sea TA that ended on April10.

I haven’t seen anyone in jeans and sweatshirts in the MDR last year on Star Homelands last July...except of us in jeans and t-shirts on our first night on the ship when our luggage didn’t arrive:eek:We did explain this at the entrance.

As a guy, I'd like to thank Cruise Critic for raising my awareness to fashion! :) Never noticed anything fashion previous to reading CC.

Jeans common in MDR. Saw a few T-shirts & shorts. They were clean, not rumpled & sweaty. Most follow Viking's recommendation for elegant casual.

Prefer Viking's policy to say, Silversea where I need to bring a suit coat.

Another great thing is the World Cafe where I think the only requirement is shoes of some sort.

DH wore dark jeans (with a collared shirt) to Manfredi’s last night. I looked around to see what other people were wearing, and I couldn’t see anyone from the waist down! So I’m not sweating it much at this point.

The dress code is posted at restaurant entrances, but Viking Sky staff are not enforcing it at all. There were ladies in blue jeans and tee shirts in front of us in line for the MDR last night. Reception agent gave them the once over, but said nothing. Woman directing them to their table also took notice of their attire and looked a bit disapproving but said nothing.

I’d heard people saying that the dress code for their cruises was listed in the Viking Daily as specially no jeans. I looked on our West Indies Viking Dailies and the dress code was there, but no mention of jeans at all.

I was too busy reading menus, wine lists and picking out dinner, then eating it to notice what others were wearing. I did notice a few aloha shirts - hard to miss all those colors [emoji16]. But I kind of figured they fit in the Caribbean. They did have collars!

Only time I noticed jeans was on Ma and Pa Kettle at the reservation desk by Manfredi’s. Except that they were clean, they kind of looked like they had just come in from working the back 40 [emoji16]

I thought they would get turned away, but, nope, they walked right in.

I used to get annoyed at people who wore jeans etc on Carnival Elegant Night where they do specifically say, “ no jeans, tee shirts etc. “ - mostly because it was an issue of ambiance - but frankly, I’ve given up the battle. It’s not worth it. As long as people are clean and the clothes are clean, all I care about is the food on my plate [emoji12]

We chose Viking because their dress code is casual. There are different grades of casual and personally, I find “elegant casual” to be something of an oxymoron, we can do smart, business or country club casual with no problem. My husband wears dockers type pants and a polo shirt. I wear pants (mostly black, white in the Caribbean) and a nice top and we’re done.

Unless you are dressed in some obviously stand out way - I’m not going to notice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I appreciate that Viking is trying to create a pleasant ambiance in their dining venues. After all you would not expect to to to a nice restaurant on land in jeans and a tee. You paid a lot to be there so make it an occasion. If you say for example that “nice” jeans are allowed it is a very subjective thing. Is a little fading OK? How about a small hole near the back pocket? It is easier to just say no jeans and monitor from there.

A little off topic, but I never truly enjoyed casual dining (and was originally prejudiced against it) until experiencing it on O and most recently the Viking Sea. Superb choices and great service!

Cruise mates wearing jeans will not spoil my dinner and anyone wearing them are welcome at my table. It's not what's UNDER the table. It's about meeting new people and great table conversation that's important to us.

(y)

I so very much agree with you!! Ambience is not created by the clothing you wear but how you behave. On one of our cruises there was one older couple that came to dinner each night dressed to the nines, he in doubled breasted suits and she in cocktail dresses, elegantly made up, etc. They sat there night after night, just the two of them, stone-faced, barely making conversations. Sure, they were dress code perfect but would you want to spend an entire meal trying to get to know them?

Cruise mates wearing jeans will not spoil my dinner and anyone wearing them are welcome at my table. It's not what's UNDER the table. It's about meeting new people and great table conversation that's important to us.

I totally agree with this and what Peregrina responded!

There are pleasant and unpleasant people no matter what the dress code. Personally, I stick to the dress code laid down by the cruise line and I expect other passengers to do the same. Wearing jeans to the MDR is disrespectful to other passengers and to the cruise line itself.

There are pleasant and unpleasant people no matter what the dress code. Personally, I stick to the dress code laid down by the cruise line and I expect other passengers to do the same. Wearing jeans to the MDR is disrespectful to other passengers and to the cruise line itself.

This is just another example of poor internal communication. If I received pre-cruise instructions that did not mention "no jeans" (as on our last cruise) and I pack based on those instructions, then I am going to dress based on what I was told when I packed. If Viking is going to change the rules, then they need to tell me before I board the ship so that I can plan appropriately. It is too late to make this change once I am on board because what is in my suitcase is what I will be wearing for the duration of the cruise. It isn't a matter of disrespect; it is a matter of clear and consistent communication.

2 Viking cruises and I don't recall anyone in shorts or T shirts in the MBR in the evening. One or two "dungarees" and fair amount of Docker style jeans. Less than 20% ties and jackets. It was nothing I even thought about so I was obviously comfortable with it.The few times I was dragged into the afternoon Tea people were dressed neatly and same in Explorer Lounge. Unlike a recent Crystal cruise there was no competitive dressing.