No Shorts or Tank Tops in MDR except first night

Someone mentioned (new again) rules for MDR dress code onboard. Apparently was changed on website and here is a very recent article about it. Sailing on Allure May 13. We personally pretty much adhere to this anyway. Not sure if DSo or SIL planned to wear shorts more often. Possibly some GSs might have planned to on some nights since have sailed recently and knew the new norm. What do you think of this? Not sure when RCCL made change but this article is very current.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/cruises/la-tr-royal-caribbean-20180424-story.html

Personally, I'm glad for the change, if only it's truly enforced. Shorts at breakfast and lunch is fine, but it can't be THAT difficult to put on pants for dinner for the MDR. They're not requiring dress pants, so zip off & khaki pants would work and look a lot better than shorts. If you truly don't want to pack and/or wear pants to dinner, the alternative is to dine at the buffet--the choice is yours.

Someone mentioned (new again) rules for MDR dress code onboard. Apparently was changed on website and here is a very recent article about it. Sailing on Allure May 13. We personally pretty much adhere to this anyway. Not sure if DSo or SIL planned to wear shorts more often. Possibly some GSs might have planned to on some nights since have sailed recently and knew the new norm. What do you think of this? Not sure when RCCL made change but this article is very current.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/cruises/la-tr-royal-caribbean-20180424-story.html

Great reporting. The article refers to the company's blog, linking a private blog that has no affiliation with the cruise line at all.:rolleyes:

Honestly, I can't imagine that RCCL would start a new policy that would potentially upset many passengers. I see shorts/T's every evening but not more than perhaps 10%. Plus the wording about "no shorts for dinner" has been printed or posted for years with no enforcement.

M

Last 2 years have witnessed people turned away multiple times wearing shorts and tank tops/T-shirts only on Formal nites... Less then 20 years ago Royal would enforce it every nite but first. Sailed NCL when they started Freestyle the eat when you want wear what you want(except shorts)20 years ago, but even then one nite a sailing was Formal, Jacket/Tie...

Blech it’s 2018 there’s no standards anymore as long as your private areas are covered up who cares what you’re wearing in the MDR!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Speak for yourself. I consider deliberately breaking rules to be disrespectful to the cruise line and one’s fellow passengers.

Speak for yourself. I consider deliberately breaking rules to be disrespectful to the cruise line and one’s fellow passengers.

[emoji849]uh oh another rule obsessed person. I bet you never speed while driving either.

[emoji849]uh oh another rule obsessed person. I bet you never speed while driving either.

and yet another tired, old and totally irrelevant speeding while driving reference. ;p Speeding is breaking the law, not breaking a rule. You get a ticket if caught speeding. You get not even a warning for wearing shorts where they arent permitted most of the time. Big difference.

With that said, Im not one that cares one bit what someone else wears as long as they wearing clothes

I’m wondering how all those that are so against shorts would have felt if they had dined in Chops last month on Oasis on formal night and been served by an Assistant Waiter who was wearing shorts. It certainly didn’t have any impact on our meal or enjoyment of dinner.

Actually on Oasis class ships all the cruise compass says “Evening attire suggestion :Casual”

No reference to no shorts at all.

Agree, "suggested/suggestion". We did a B2B Caribbean cruise on the Jewel 2017 and other than the first evening(s) the hostess was turning away those in shorts for MTD.

I just don't care what other people wear to a meal. Wear what you want, it, it doesn't impact the taste of my food at all.

I for one hope they continue to not enforce the suggested dress code.

It wouldn't of course.

But dining is about more than taste, it's an experience, a feast for all 5 senses. Hence the great attention land- and sea-based dining venues pay to decor, ambiance, soundproofing, etc.

I like sitting by the window and watching the ocean at a meal sometimes, it doesn't affect how the food tastes either, but it's pleasant.

And of course how others dress is part of that. There is a reason for the fashion, makeup and hairstylist industry. People like to look good and like others to look good.

There is an entire field of "embodied cognition" that deals with the way our appearance changes other's perceptions. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/clothes-and-self-perception.html to start.

One thing these types of experiments show is that when we're more dressed up we tend to be more polite and better able to engage in abstract thinking. people are also more likely to be polite to someone dressed well than otherwise

Similarly, Professor Karen J. Pine, of the University of Hertfordshire (U.K.) writes in her very short book Mind What You Wear: The Psychology of Fashion “When we put on a piece of clothing we cannot help but adopt some of the characteristics associated with it, even if we are unaware of it.”

so if you don't care to dress up fine, but let's PLEASE stop this BS that "no one cares" or "why does anyone care" because they do. It's just an excuse to be lazy, disrespectful, and rude.

Personally, I do care how people look at dinner and when they are under dressed it bothers me. But I don't freak out because I'm hardly perfect and I'm sure I do things that annoy people on cruises also. But at least I'm not disingenuous about it.

So I really wish people would stop pretending that it's crazy to care how other people look. It's clearly established through science, history, and culture that appearance is important to most of us. It's not just a made up thing. It's not easily explainable like some many other thing about the human brain but it's still true.

Edited by DrD

Agree, "suggested/suggestion". We did a B2B Caribbean cruise on the Jewel 2017 and other than the first evening(s) the hostess was turning away those in shorts for MTD.

I would say that if they have a certain rule against shorts, they need to make sure it's stated other than just suggested. Not fair to those who think there isn't a certain rule to show up and find out there is.

I would say that if they have a certain rule against shorts, they need to make sure it's stated other than just suggested. Not fair to those who think there isn't a certain rule to show up and find out there is.

Not my concern. We go by the not so consistent guidelines published on RC website.

Hope they enforce the new suggestions. The main dinning room has slowly become the main cafeteria. There is a reason it is called a "dining room".

That has more to do with the quality and timeliness of the food and the level of service than how someone a level (or two) above or below me that I cannot see is dressed.

Blech it’s 2018 there’s no standards anymore as long as your private areas are covered up who cares what you’re wearing in the MDR!

Could be the people dressing as suggested for dinner sharing a table with slobs wearing their shorts, tee shirts and baseball caps at the same table. Kudos for rccl

It also seems to greatly depend on the ship with the Oasis class seeming more relaxed than other ships.