What lines are best about being open and accepting?

adamrosie

Which cruise lines are the most open to all people? For example, which lines allow a same sex couple to participate in wedding and newlywed games? Which lines would let a gay man judge the worlds sexiest man competition?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are concerned about which lines would be accepting of same sex relationships, I think they all would. The cruise lines don't have any issues with that, and I doubt any one line is more or less favorable than another. All cruise lines accept bookings from all people.

But as with any gathering of strangers together in any large group environment, each individual would have their own opinion and some would be accepting, others would be neutral, and others may object. In other words it isn't a matter of cruise line policies but a matter of the views of the passengers on board.

As to the specific questions you ask regarding the different activities on board, I doubt there would be any policies for or against anything such as you mention. But I have to say that IMO it is rather an unusual question that you ask - I don't think anyone would think twice about it.

Sail in Europe on a mainstream english-speaking line...sometimes it may be the location rather than the line.

Not that you will have 'unaccepting' folk and lines in the US but if you sail on a main line over here you will always have a diverse mix of passengers and probably a lot of Brits.They say Brits are more liberal on the political spectrum but I guess that depends on who you ask.

Therefore, sail with a line that caters for many nationalities? That makes Carnival, Star, P&O Oz and UK and Marella the least diverse as they pretty much cater for 1 nationality.

I do not think that it is an issue of cruise line.

Rather I think that it is a basic issue of politeness, civility, tolerance, and being non judgemental about others.

So I really think it comes down to your fellow passengers on any particular cruise. Keep in mind that there will always be a certain amount of people who will openly display intolerance and sometimes worse. You will just have to ignore them, feel sorry for them, and move forward. The vast majority of people will treat you with the respect and kindness that they would any other couple.

Sail in Europe on a mainstream english-speaking line...sometimes it may be the location rather than the line.

Not that you will have 'unaccepting' folk and lines in the US but if you sail on a main line over here you will always have a diverse mix of passengers and probably a lot of Brits.They say Brits are more liberal on the political spectrum but I guess that depends on who you ask.

Therefore, sail with a line that caters for many nationalities? That makes Carnival, Star, P&O Oz and UK and Marella the least diverse as they pretty much cater for 1 nationality.

And you have sailed on each of these lines?

Carnival is extremely diverse both in crew and guests.

Don’t think you have a problem with the cruise lines, Celebrity just held their first same sex marriage. If you check their web site there is a press release. You have to be careful however with some of the islands in the Caribbean. Some are not accepting and have very religious backgrounds and may take legal actions.

Don’t think you have a problem with the cruise lines, Celebrity just held their first same sex marriage. If you check their web site there is a press release. You have to be careful however with some of the islands in the Caribbean. Some are not accepting and have very religious backgrounds and may take legal actions.

It's not just Caribbean islands. As much, or more, discretion is necessary at some Middle East and South East Asian ports of call.

And you have sailed on each of these lines?

Carnival is extremely diverse both in crew and guests.

I was pondering the idea, not making a statement. Hence the ?

Sailed with Carnival 3 times for 37 days in total. Marella and P&O are my families favourite lines as they are all British. They note how many Brits are on the sailings.

Loved those cruises but the other 3 lines I have sailed with had a more diverse mix of passengers and have more ships all over the globe. Carnival is known for having more US passengers as it sticks to US ports (Oz aside) most of the time.

Most lines have a diverse crew.

I was pondering the idea, not making a statement. Hence the ?

Sailed with Carnival 3 times for 37 days in total. Marella and P&O are my families favourite lines as they are all British. They note how many Brits are on the sailings.

Loved those cruises but the other 3 lines I have sailed with had a more diverse mix of passengers and have more ships all over the globe. Carnival is known for having more US passengers as it sticks to US ports (Oz aside) most of the time.

Most lines have a diverse crew.

The US is huge, if you are basing it on demographics, sailing from the northeast or west coast will most likely have more liberal passengers.

Don’t think you have a problem with the cruise lines
Some registry nations, though, are making it increasingly uncomfortable for people of conscience to cruise on ships registered in their nations. Of course, I'm talking about Bermuda, which recently prohibited ships registered in Bermuda (many of which are in the Princess, Cunard, and P&O fleets) from performing same-sex marriages. As long as that is the case, I would expect many of us to find cruises on vessels registered in other nations, so as to vote against that unwelcoming policy with our wallets.

The US is huge, if you are basing it on demographics, sailing from the northeast or west coast will most likely have more liberal passengers.

While I agree with you on the US demographic I also meant diverse in the sense of different countries and cultures entirely.

I really like meeting people from different countries and one could wonder that if a ship has a very mixed passenger base of countries and cultures etc then it may make it more accepting to a certain other group. Not stating a fact just pondering the idea. Obviously this changes based on the length/time/location.

Note: I don't dislike Carnival at all and I would probably still be sailing with them of they were more worldwide.

I don't know how many cruise lines do "the world's most sexy man"...Newlywed and not so Newly wed games have faded...at least on HAL, not sure on other lines.

You may wish to ask your questions here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162

HAL has such a tiny cruise staff these days, there is no one to run those games.

It's 2018--people are way more open than they used to be. I live one of the bigger cities in Kentucky and our mayor (who is also running for congress) is openly gay, and honestly, no one cares. Live your best life! Cruise away!

It's 2018--people are way more open than they used to be. I live one of the bigger cities in Kentucky and our mayor (who is also running for congress) is openly gay, and honestly, no one cares. Live your best life! Cruise away!

I love Lexington!