On Board Credit Question (Again!)

roothy123

I know this has been discussed before but things change, so I'm asking again. I'll probably ask Viking or check the Viking website, but in the meantime, here are my questions:

I have some Viking shipboard credit. What can I use this credit on, besides shore excursions? I'm not much of a spa, hair/nails, alcohol person, and I really don't need much from the ship's stores. While there are some interesting optional excursions I could spend it on, I love going off on my own in many cities, and want to leave time for that if possible. Can or can't I use the credit to pay gratuities? Is there anything else I can spend this credit on - from the large to the small (like shampoo from the spa?!?)? I'm assuming if I don't use the credit, it just goes away. Is that correct? Also, if I WERE to have some onboard credit from a travel agent, would I be able to spend that on anything different from the Viking credit?

We just booked another Viking Ocean. We also have SBC..cannot use it for gratuities..

SO we will get our Silver Spirit package, use it for a shore excursion.. that should take care of it. I don’t need anything from the gift shop, rather drink better wines and get a drink anytime I have the inkling to.

We just booked another Viking Ocean. We also have SBC..cannot use it for gratuities..

SO we will get our Silver Spirit package, use it for a shore excursion.. that should take care of it. I don’t need anything from the gift shop, rather drink better wines and get a drink anytime I have the inkling to.

Just to clarify for those who are new to the topic of gratuities. Some OBCs can be used for gratuities and others can't and there has yet to be a clear explanation here of which is which. I'm assuming that ebtrip and OP have already been told that they cannot use their OBC for grats.

Here's what Viking told me about the OBC I received from Viking when I could not book excursions with my OBC...

"Your credit will become available for you upon embarkation for onboard use. Although you will not be able to reserve shore excursions beforehand using your shipboard credit, you are free to use it on board to purchase excursions, services, drinks, items on the gift shop, and even gratuities. Oftentimes, credit is offered as an amenity for certain cruises or bookings, which is why they can use it to book excursions. However, because your credit is listed as a gift, it can be used exclusively on board."

What I take from this is that in Viking's universe there are different types of OBC, each with their own individual rules & restrictions.

Bottom line: Do NOT take what we post here on CC as gospel. Contact Viking and they will cite YOUR special rules to you.