incline type- Mount Liamuiga Volcano?

ATLfuzzy

I like to hike, can do 5, 6 or so miles daily without issue. The Mount Liamuiga Volcano hike sounds really pretty. I understand its an incline. Is the incline crazy hard or would you say "moderate"? Distances fine for me...inclines not as much. Want to check it out, but a bit hesitant. Any input would be much appreciated!

Crazy hard for some is moderate for others, but here are some facts so you can decide. The elevation is 3,792 ft (1,156 m), with the climb starting roughly at sea level and going for about 2.5 miles to the top which averages to roughly a 28% incline - 28 feet up for every 100 feet you walk.

In addition to the incline the trail can be overgrown and hard to find in places since it is a jungle. There are parts that require you to climb on/over trees and roots, and even a makeshift ladder in one spot. Because of that it is strongly encouraged that you hire a guide to take you to up the volcano and do not attempt it on your own.

The shore excursion for our cruise calls it "an extremely strenous hike". It then gives all the warnings about seeing your doctor if you have any questions. The minimum age is 10.

So, it definitely is not for everyone.

We did this hike in January 2016. It was definitely strenous. We were a group of 16 peopple, and 14 people finished it. Two of the older passengers did not make it all the way up and turned back. My SO was mid-50s at this point and he finished it, but it was hard. As others have mentioned, part of the difficulty is that it's uneven ground and in a bit of a rainforest. Slippery tree roots, branches, and rocks.

It took us about 2.25 hours going up and about 2 hours coming back down. Going up was hard cardiovascularly, but coming down was hard because of how slippery it was. I don't suggest trying it unless you have at least moderate fitness/hiking skills.

I did it about 8 yers ago at 50 thru a ship sponsored excursion. It was miserable and dangerous because of the torrential rains-think rain Forrest rather than the path itself. We are fit and used to 4000K mountains in NH and had a relay hard time with it. we came back covered in mud!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did it about 8 yers ago at 50 thru a ship sponsored excursion. It was miserable and dangerous because of the torrential rains-think rain Forrest rather than the path itself. We are fit and used to 4000K mountains in NH and had a relay hard time with it. we came back covered in mud!

Yes after seeing videos I’m very surprised its ship sponsored. A bit much. We will go on another hike.

Yes after seeing videos I’m very surprised its ship sponsored. A bit much. We will go on another hike.

Can you please us know what hike you find instead and if you use a guide or not? I am also looking for a somewhat less intense hike - would like to be out of breath and seeing great views but not scared or breaking an ankle ;p