Azamara announcement on visits to Cuba under the new Trump regs

vvnh16a

v2_larry_hero.pngDear Guest,

Effective November 9th, new regulations regarding travel to Cuba were initiated by the U.S. Department of Treasury. These rules apply to all travelers boarding a ship in a United States port, regardless of nationality or country of residence. Simply put, everyone must adhere to these regulations, and, with this in mind, I have great news.11_17_larry_text.pngCuba presents an unforgettable opportunity to be among the first to experience people, places, history, and culture that have remained off the map of travel enthusiasts for generations. Having been there myself in preparing to deliver Azamara guests the finest experiences, I can tell you that Cuba will both open your eyes and enrich your spirit. It's a nation of contradictions, broken in many ways and, yet, beautiful in so many more. It's classic American cars rumbling down dusty Havana avenues. It's music-filled streets that play well into the night. It's the smell of hand-rolled Cohibas surrounding curbside cafes, and connecting with locals who are genuinely enthusiastic about sharing their home with new guests. Havana is safe, passionate, colorful and about as welcoming an island as you'll find anywhere in the Caribbean.

There are a few things worth noting regarding the new regulations. If a cruise has been booked and payed for prior to June 16th, 2017, guests are free to go ashore independently. If not, under the new rules, guests must travel with a tour group. I would highly recommend this, regardless, as we've put together a menu of unique experiences designed to present Cuba in the most immersive, insightful and convenient ways imaginable.

Whether it's an evening at the legendary Tropicana Cabaret, a moonlit stroll through Havana's World Heritage streets, or sitting down with a local island artist, we're proud to showcase Cuba with experiences that respect and preserve the island's rich heritage. We handle all planning and documentation in full accordance with the new regulations, so guests are free to embrace every moment of their time ashore with no concerns, just plenty of memories.

I'm thrilled to inform you that Cuba remains open for all scheduled Azamara voyages. I assure you, there's no finer way to experience it. For additional information about our Cuba voyages, please click here to visit our Frequently Asked Questions forum.

Best regards,1107_larry_signature.pngLarry Pimentel

President & CEO, Azamara Club Cruises

Sorry - I'm a little confused. When they say that new bookings need to travel with a tour group, does that mean a cruise line excursion, or can you book an independent tour like in St. Petersburg, where some independent companies are sanctioned by the government?

That's a very nicely worded message at first, but then it falls apart. It really doesn't answer one basic question many people have. It sounds like Azamara wants to steer people who booked after the June date into taking their excursions and/or Azamara wants to cover their butt in case Treasury ever evaluates their approach to helping cruisers comply with the revised regulation. Their approach is sneaky and unhelpful in my opinion. It's similar to what some cruise lines do for St. Petersburg, which I feel is deceitful.

Then again, if you look at the link for FAQs, you'll get closer to getting an answer. To me, though, the FAQs still don't clarify if you can/should just hire any person or company for a tour, as it's still not clear to me if that is appropriate if you're claiming travel under the "support for Cuban people" category. In the other thread, at least one person has reported that a tour company they booked got back to him/her stating that they could no longer provide the tour because of the regulation change.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me the Azamara Emergency Telephone number to leave at home in case of Emergencies or is there a ship number that someone can reach me aboard in an emergency. Don't want to be bothered otherwise.