Packing for a 12 day cruise suggestions.

rpmljm

I do use some cubes. I use the mainly for underclothing and socks. When we unpack, I just open the cube and put it on a shelve. It makes that part very easy to unpack. For shirts I use a packing folder. The rest goes into our suitcases.

I do use some cubes. I use the mainly for underclothing and socks. When we unpack, I just open the cube and put it on a shelve. It makes that part very easy to unpack. For shirts I use a packing folder. The rest goes into our suitcases.

What is a packing folder?

What is a packing folder?

https://www.ebags.com/product/eagle-creek/pack-it-specter-garment-folder-small/271322?productid=10296828

Many wrinkles are caused by clothes moving around. Cubes and folders keep things tight, even if you aren’t filling up all the space. They’re especially good in duffle bags.

We’ll use one medium sized folder for DH’s shirts, alternating the collars for easier packing.

Not a big fan of the folders or cubes either. I can pack more without them than with and I like to lay things flat across as much space as possible in my suitcase. I rarely get wrinkles -- the keys are using the right size suitcase and packing it full but not overfull.

The only time I find a cube useful is to carry a change of clothes in my small carry-on bag; not to save space but to keep them corralled in one place. (Like a mini-suitcase :cool:.)

The only time I find a cube useful is to carry a change of clothes in my small carry-on bag; not to save space but to keep them corralled in one place. (Like a mini-suitcase :cool:.)

Yes - that's why I'm overly fond of small zippered bags for my little bits of everything with which I travel;p

I usually travel with mostly knits (even when traveling for business- I don't work in a field requiring suits) so I don't tend to worry about wrinkles - hanging in the bathroom while taking a hot shower usually is enough to release wrinkles...And I'm also rarely on a trip where I'm changing hotels/locations that frequently, but I could see how some sort of organization could be useful there....

I've been a cube/folder person since 2000.

I like that things are compartmented (undies, workout/swim, T-shirts, better shirts/pants). I never seem to have an issue getting things into my carryon - there are plenty of little things to put into the leftover spaces. I like that I can just pull the cubes out of the bag and into the dresser drawers (or cubbies in a closet). I've done as long as a month, living out of the cubes. When I washed something, it went back in the cube. Packing to go home is also a breeze - just grab the cubes/folder and put in the bag. I also find the cubes and folders keep my bag more evenly-weighted; when I didn't use cubes, I'd find my stuff tended to shift and settle towards the bottom of the bag.

I currently use an Eagle Creek Specter bag to put my change of clothes in for my daypack. The Specter bags aren't rigid sides, so it can fit any spot. The size I use for the clothes is their Medium; more than enough room for holding a pair of jeans and hoodie sweater and socks (what I used the other week when I went from 90+ degrees in Palm Springs to 36 degrees and snow at home). If the bag isn't filled, it's freeform allows to go as small as needed.

Edited by slidergirl

96 items? No way.

First, my suggestions for lowering that number:

- I pack daytime wear in sets of three; that is, one pair of shorts + two tops.

- We like to cruise in the fall, so I need a couple light sweaters /wraps. I make sure these match several sets of outfits.

- Similarly, I make sure my shoes match a number of outfits. I have some foot problems, so I do bring more than I used to; still, limiting shoes is a great way to cut down on suitcases.

What I brought recently for a 14-day cruise -- this was everything except small clothes, including what we wore to board -- it was just right; the best packing I've ever done:

(3) bikinis + cover ups

(3) white shorts + blue/white sleeveless top + pink & green top

(3) lime green shorts + white sleeveless top + lime green stripe tee

(3) blue shorts + blue floral top + white long sleeved top

(3) jean shorts + red & white stripe tee + coral sleeveless top

(5) casual day dresses -- black & white tee, lime green print, black with pink flowers maxi, grey & pink stripe long sleeved tee, pink maxi

(4) dressy dresses -- coral lace, champagne lace, pink print, purple

(3) orange & navy print pants + orange long sleeved top + navy sleeveless top

(3) grey yoga pants + lime green long sleeved tee + pink short sleeved tee

(3) lightweight sweaters in lime green, pink, white

(2) hats -- one white ball cap + one straw hat

(3) nightgowns

(7) pairs of shoes: tan walking sandals, pink flip-flops, blue flip-flops, black low heel sandals, tan wedge sandals, water shoes, white Keds tennis shoes

As I said, this was a 14-day cruise; I think this was 38 items of clothing + 7 pairs of shoes.

I washed my swimsuits and small clothes in the sink, and I washed some of the tops (I lean towards thin, gauzy tops, so that was easy). I sent two pairs of shorts out in "the bag".

The category I think most people forget is the yoga-pants type thing. I really enjoy having something casual and easy (and oversized) to put on in the room after returning-from-the-island-stop-and-showering-but-not-ready-to-dress-for-dinner. This kind of thing is also convenient to have for the times you want to run up to the buffet to pick up a drink and a cookie. I probably put this outfit on more often than any other outfit I took ... but I rarely wore it more than an hour at a time.

I have not brought this many shoes in the past, but -- as I said -- I'm having some foot problems, and being able to change shoes during the day helps.

96 items? No way.

First, my suggestions for lowering that number:

- I pack daytime wear in sets of three; that is, one pair of shorts + two tops.

- We like to cruise in the fall, so I need a couple light sweaters /wraps. I make sure these match several sets of outfits.

- Similarly, I make sure my shoes match a number of outfits. I have some foot problems, so I do bring more than I used to; still, limiting shoes is a great way to cut down on suitcases.

What I brought recently for a 14-day cruise -- this was everything except small clothes, including what we wore to board -- it was just right; the best packing I've ever done:

(3) bikinis + cover ups

(3) white shorts + blue/white sleeveless top + pink & green top

(3) lime green shorts + white sleeveless top + lime green stripe tee

(3) blue shorts + blue floral top + white long sleeved top

(3) jean shorts + red & white stripe tee + coral sleeveless top

(5) casual day dresses -- black & white tee, lime green print, black with pink flowers maxi, grey & pink stripe long sleeved tee, pink maxi

(4) dressy dresses -- coral lace, champagne lace, pink print, purple

(3) orange & navy print pants + orange long sleeved top + navy sleeveless top

(3) grey yoga pants + lime green long sleeved tee + pink short sleeved tee

(3) lightweight sweaters in lime green, pink, white

(2) hats -- one white ball cap + one straw hat

(3) nightgowns

(7) pairs of shoes: tan walking sandals, pink flip-flops, blue flip-flops, black low heel sandals, tan wedge sandals, water shoes, white Keds tennis shoes

As I said, this was a 14-day cruise; I think this was 38 items of clothing + 7 pairs of shoes.

I washed my swimsuits and small clothes in the sink, and I washed some of the tops (I lean towards thin, gauzy tops, so that was easy). I sent two pairs of shorts out in "the bag".

The category I think most people forget is the yoga-pants type thing. I really enjoy having something casual and easy (and oversized) to put on in the room after returning-from-the-island-stop-and-showering-but-not-ready-to-dress-for-dinner. This kind of thing is also convenient to have for the times you want to run up to the buffet to pick up a drink and a cookie. I probably put this outfit on more often than any other outfit I took ... but I rarely wore it more than an hour at a time.

I have not brought this many shoes in the past, but -- as I said -- I'm having some foot problems, and being able to change shoes during the day helps.

I love this concept. I’m packing for my first five day and have 3 outfits a day. My husband will not be happy. Lol. Not sure how I will pack for my 13 day next year. This is a great way to think of it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love this concept. I’m packing for my first five day and have 3 outfits a day. My husband will not be happy. Lol. Not sure how I will pack for my 13 day next year. This is a great way to think of it :)

Thanks for the suggestions, but I also have to pack just as much stuff for him too, so double your 38 and...:eek:

I'm sure I will mix and match as you and other have suggested.

Many have said they wash things out in the sink. The sinks are very small, so I'm not sure how that would work, also do you then have to pack laundry soap???

Thanks for the suggestions, but I also have to pack just as much stuff for him too, so double your 38 and...:eek:

Many have said they wash things out in the sink. The sinks are very small, so I'm not sure how that would work, also do you then have to pack laundry soap???

Here are two companion posts about doing laundry while traveling. There are many other travel washing ideas online.

https://ladylighttravel.com/2013/10/20/how-to-do-sink-laundry-while-traveling/

https://ladylighttravel.com/2013/10/28/travel-gear-for-doing-laundry/

Some will bring laundry powder, others will bring a small bottle of liquid (decanted). Others will simply use any soap or shampoo on hand. For softener could bring some or use hair conditioner.

Tide has little disposable packets in the travel bins at the store (Meijer here). Woolite has travel packs too (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001E8R488/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_X1I4zbK7YCXCD). I bring it for lingerie when I travel.

I have never had an issue with the size of the sink hampering my nightly washing of clothes, even when I was a size 2X....

I use some of the laundry soap "leaves" that you can find in stores like REI, MEC... Or, look up on the web for "Sea to Summit Pocket Laundry Wash" - what I currently use. The container is about the size of a dental floss container or a TicTac box. I can do 10 washes from it. there are also some liquids that are already TSA-compliant and concentrated.

I have never had an issue with the size of the sink hampering my nightly washing of clothes, even when I was a size 2X....

I use some of the laundry soap "leaves" that you can find in stores like REI, MEC... Or, look up on the web for "Sea to Summit Pocket Laundry Wash" - what I currently use. The container is about the size of a dental floss container or a TicTac box. I can do 10 washes from it. there are also some liquids that are already TSA-compliant and concentrated.

Shampoo also works well for sink washes.

One thing that has reduced the volume of DH's clothes is to take Ex Officio briefs/boxers. They go on sale through out the year and are available on Amazon.

One thing that has reduced the volume of DH's clothes is to take Ex Officio briefs/boxers. They go on sale through out the year and are available on Amazon.

There are Ex Officio underwear for women, also. They are what I always take when I travel. And, I do wear them for my everyday undies at home also. Very comfortable. And, they are easily washable and line dried overnight!!

There are Ex Officio underwear for women, also. They are what I always take when I travel. And, I do wear them for my everyday undies at home also. Very comfortable. And, they are easily washable and line dried overnight!!

Good to know, thank you. Any idea where these ExOfficio items are available at a reduced price? They seem quite expensive. Thanks!

Good to know, thank you. Any idea where these ExOfficio items are available at a reduced price? They seem quite expensive. Thanks!

They are only expensive if you think of a single use. I have Ex Officio undies that I've had since 2007 and are still in great shape.

There is a sale of some sort right now on the Ex Officio website. See if any are on sale.

• 4 weeks later...

I am doing 15 day Transatlantic with extra days on each end in San Juan and Barcelona. I am doing something very similar to this:

http://classyyettrendy.com/2017/03/9-pieces-10-outfits-french-minimalist-style.html/

I am subbing khaki ankle pants for the white and will have low block heel sandals (https://www.zappos.com/p/sam-edelman-leah-black-kid-suede-leather-black-nappa/product/8872126/color/684348?ef_id=Wgn0OgAABVBKE@VH:20171118160429:s) instead of the black heels.

No handbags. One bathing suit, a pair of slip on sneakers for walking, a black pencil skirt, 2 silk tops (solid color), one pair of shorts, one hooded waterproof jacket, 5 sets undies.

Our ship has free self-service laundry and no formal nights. I need to cover Caribbean weather to April in Spain so I am using basic pieces in neutrals and layering.