Air Tahiti Nui

reeflover

I'm told no, but your odds are good that you will.

All planes are currently Air Bus 340's and all have seen years of service. 4 have been updated and one has not but I'm not sure which one. There is no way to know which plane you will get.

Starting November 2018 they will start receiving their new Boeing 787's. Two will be delivered November 2018, all four new planes will be in service by the end of 2019.

Is there a way to tell if we will fly on one of their newer planes? We now have the flight numbers.

There’s only one plane that’s the old configuration. You never know. Many times they use it when a plane has a maintenance issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we flew back to NZ from Papeete in September we had the plane that has not been refitted. it was a long 5.5 hours.Would not like to be flying from the US on it.Still you have an eighty per cent chance of not getting it.

• 2 months later...

We flew over in business on TN1 in a newer one in Jan but the seat is still less than conducive to sleeping. 156 degree pitch doesn’t cut it in this modern world. Then on flight back TN2 we were stuck on the old one. There were no less than 3 seats in business that were broken! We lost a preferred seat. They attempted to put us in the bulkhead and at 6’4” I said no way. For some reason the flight had two additional seats open so we went to the middle row 5. They were ok but be sure to bring good earplugs as the galley noise can be a bit much especially on an overnight flight. BTW the coach compartment had maybe 30 people in it. It appeared everyone could have an entire row!

I think the airline has gone downhill significantly. Service is not what it used to be at all. Planes are not up to par and many items were either broken or silly in terms f functionality (good luck trying to adjust your seat on the old jet in business).

I’m so waiting for United to start flying from SFO. At least I know what I can expect and having 787s will be nice also (let alone cutting off 4-5 hours off our trip from SF vs LAX).

This is all about to change ....

In May you have a discounter flying SFO - PPT. Though they have not start selling tickets from SFO - PPT they are waiting on permission to do so.

In October United starts flying SFO - PPT and they are already priced similar to ATN LAX-PPT and will be using Boeing 787-800's

In November ATN receives their first two new Boeing 787's

So that will make 5 airlines flying Mainland USA to PPT .... competition is always good for the consumer and I think we will see a broad range of options from some great basic prices to new planes ....