What's Happening in NOLA Nov 10-12

kdkstormy

On another site that they don't like us to mention, people have been saying they are having trouble booking a room the night before our November 12, 2017 sailing. I've looked online and can't find anything about a festival or other event. Does anyone know what is going on that weekend?

thanks

Karen

• 3 weeks later...
Football season

It's the eye doctor convention. 25,000 eye doctors in town those days. I get good prices for saints games. Besides, the Saints are in Buffalo that week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSU - Arkansas game is in Baton Rouge that weekend. Baton Rouge and NOLA are just over an hour apart - I've seen in the past that a lot of students from the visiting school will head to the Quarter and watch the game from establishments on and around Bourbon Street. Eye Dr convention is probably the main reason, but this will have some carryover as well.

LSU - Arkansas game is in Baton Rouge that weekend. Baton Rouge and NOLA are just over an hour apart - I've seen in the past that a lot of students from the visiting school will head to the Quarter and watch the game from establishments on and around Bourbon Street. Eye Dr convention is probably the main reason, but this will have some carryover as well.

That's a new one to me. I've never known an LSU game to cause hotel prices to go up in New Orleans. However, every time there is any kind of Doctor, dentist, or lawyer convention, prices skyrocket.

Th eye doctor conference averages around 25,000 attendees..they had over 28,000 in Vegas...New Orleans has like 33,000 hotel rooms. The city is going to be loaded with eye doctors.

They may not bump prices but can have an occupancy impact. We were in town the same weekend as an LSU-Florida game prior to a cruise one year. Bourbon Street was a sea of blue and orange, and a ton of tour buses were loading up very bleary-eyed students Sunday morning. One of them said more Florida students watched the game in NOLA than went on to Baton Rouge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They may not bump prices but can have an occupancy impact. We were in town the same weekend as an LSU-Florida game prior to a cruise one year. Bourbon Street was a sea of blue and orange, and a ton of tour buses were loading up very bleary-eyed students Sunday morning. One of them said more Florida students watched the game in NOLA than went on to Baton Rouge.

Yeah I don't know. Agree to disagree I guess. Saints season ticket holder. I used to go to New Orleans on Saturday. Now I go early Sunday morning most of the time. I went the Saturday before the panthers game last year....and I've just never seen anything like that. ...not unless the was a game in New Orleans. I don't even understand why Florida fans would go to Baton Rouge after the game. Seems they'd head back to florida after the game...the team does.

Yeah I don't know. Agree to disagree I guess. Saints season ticket holder. I used to go to New Orleans on Saturday. Now I go early Sunday morning most of the time. I went the Saturday before the panthers game last year....and I've just never seen anything like that. ...not unless the was a game in New Orleans. I don't even understand why Florida fans would go to Baton Rouge after the game. Seems they'd head back to florida after the game...the team does.

The Florida students never made it to Baton Rouge - they stayed in NOLA the full weekend, and that's where the buses were headed back to on Sunday morning.

• 3 months later...
Just stumbled on this thread, and have been asking myself the same question... we are flying in, meeting up with my daughter to celebrate her 21st. $400+ a night for Hilton Garden Inn... steep. I have been noticing some cancellations, but not many.

You can get the Royal Sonesta on Bourbon Street for $350 on Hotwire.

Edit: Just noticed that's for a room with 1 queen bed. 2 queens is $426. 1 King is $441.