Cruisers who want to lose weight

Hi fellow Cruise lowers!

There was one of these threads that I joined previously for support and motivation to help each other lose weight but It seems defunct now. Anyone interested in losing weight and sharing our stories tips, motivation, goals, check in's etc? I am preparing for a Southern Carib cruise on Jewel of the Seas, Jan 14/18. I'm hoping to shed 25 pounds by then. I could definitely stand to lose more but 25 is the goal. Who's with me?

Robin

Hi! The Weight lose forum is still around http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149

One of the ladies going on the cruise with me and I are trying to lose weight. We exercise at a gym and she's on a diet. I'm not on a diet, but am trying to be more careful in what I'm eating and the amount. It helps that it's summer (hot) so eating doesn't seem as appealing.

Jewel of the Seas, Jan 14/18. I'm hoping to shed 25 pounds by then. I could definitely stand to lose more but 25 is the goal. Who's with me?

After years of saying I'd lose some weight, I finally did it this year. I've lost 29 lbs. (so far) since Jan. 2. Here's how I did it and a few things I learned. Maybe it can help someone else!

1. 80% is what you do/don't put in your mouth, 20% is exercise. I found this to be very true. I had been working out regularly doing high intensity interval training and strength training 3-4x/week since July 2015. I was healthier and stronger, but weight didn't come off. Yes, I know... I had lost some fat and it converted into muscle, but I was still wearing the same sizes and carried a lot of fat on me. When I started eating right CONSISTENTLY this past January, the weight started to fall. Since May my rate of weight loss has slowed significantly. But while I've only lost another pound or two since then, I've dropped another full size. This is where the exercise part is really kicking in, and changing my body composition to a higher % of lean muscle which weighs more but is smaller than fat.

2. Consistency is key. I ate very healthy prior to January, but only did so intermittently. I traveled a lot and used every trip, every special occasion at home, every "event" as an excuse to eat/drink whatever. I stopped that in January for all but the most special of occasions. Yes, it sometimes meant having club soda instead of wine when out with friends for girls' night or whatever, but I had to draw a hard line in the sand until the weight came off.

3. You can't starve yourself. Severely limiting calories just causes your body to fight back by lowering your metabolism. In turn, that makes it easier to GAIN weight once you hit your goal and start eating a bit more.

4. (Healthy) Fat is not the enemy. Your body needs fat, and fat consumed doesn't necessarily turn into fat on the body. Stick to healthy fats, though. I go through olive oil like it's air. I also eat tons of nuts, nut butter, seeds, grass-fed half&half, full fat Greek yogurt, eggs and avocados.

5. Sugar is the enemy. It makes your body produce insulin, which is a hormone that tells your body to store fat. And sugar hides in all kinds of things and goes by different names. It's not enough to just avoid desserts; most packaged/processed foods are loaded with sugar in one form or another, even savory items. Sugar is addictive and the more you eat (even in hidden forms), the more your crave.

6. Read ingredient labels and don't trust the "claims" on the front of the package. Ignore the front of the package where is says "sugar-free" and read the ingredient label on the back. It might surprise you to find it's full of corn syrup, which is just another form of sugar. Another example: "made with 100% wheat." Notice it doesn't say WHOLE wheat. Or "made with whole grains." It can say that on the front, even though it might only have a tiny smidgeon of whole grain, and be mostly made with plain old white flour. You have to read ingredient labels. Don't even get me started on the often-seen claim of "all natural." It means nothing. Sugar is natural, but it's not good for you. :rolleyes:

7. Avoid highly processed/packaged foods. See #5 & 6 above. Stick to real food. Don't fall back on the claims of "I don't have time to cook." If something is important to you, you can find the time. Meal prepping in advance or for several meals at a time is a great time-saver that helps you eat healthy.

8. I don't count anything. Not calories, or fat grams, or carbs. I eat mainly real food (no highly processed stuff) and make sure each meal/snack includes a big portion of fruits/veggies, as well as protein and healthy fat. I also eat a ton of healthy carbs. I avoid added sugar, as well as white flour, white rice and all but the occasional baked potato. I eat tons of healthy carbs in the form of fruit, beans, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, etc. In fact, when I upped my workouts to 5x/week I found I had to really up my carb intake to maintain enough energy. I also drink at least 80oz. of water/day.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, nutritionist or dietician and don't claim to be. Everyone is different. This is what has worked for me, but is also based on significant reading and research on nutrition and healthy weight loss. I have observed a lot of friends trying to lose weight and making excuses for why they can't, all the while observing that they are usually doing the opposite of at least several things listed above (avoiding ALL carbs or ALL fat, severely limiting calories, making excuses, buying process crap because it's "sugar free" or "fat free" etc.)

Hi! The Weight lose forum is still around http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149

One of the ladies going on the cruise with me and I are trying to lose weight. We exercise at a gym and she's on a diet. I'm not on a diet, but am trying to be more careful in what I'm eating and the amount. It helps that it's summer (hot) so eating doesn't seem as appealing.

Great thanks, I'll go check that post out for up to date info. Sorry to start a new thread.

After years of saying I'd lose some weight, I finally did it this year. I've lost 29 lbs. (so far) since Jan. 2. Here's how I did it and a few things I learned. Maybe it can help someone else!

1. 80% is what you do/don't put in your mouth, 20% is exercise. I found this to be very true. I had been working out regularly doing high intensity interval training and strength training 3-4x/week since July 2015. I was healthier and stronger, but weight didn't come off. Yes, I know... I had lost some fat and it converted into muscle, but I was still wearing the same sizes and carried a lot of fat on me. When I started eating right CONSISTENTLY this past January, the weight started to fall. Since May my rate of weight loss has slowed significantly. But while I've only lost another pound or two since then, I've dropped another full size. This is where the exercise part is really kicking in, and changing my body composition to a higher % of lean muscle which weighs more but is smaller than fat.

2. Consistency is key. I ate very healthy prior to January, but only did so intermittently. I traveled a lot and used every trip, every special occasion at home, every "event" as an excuse to eat/drink whatever. I stopped that in January for all but the most special of occasions. Yes, it sometimes meant having club soda instead of wine when out with friends for girls' night or whatever, but I had to draw a hard line in the sand until the weight came off.

3. You can't starve yourself. Severely limiting calories just causes your body to fight back by lowering your metabolism. In turn, that makes it easier to GAIN weight once you hit your goal and start eating a bit more.

4. (Healthy) Fat is not the enemy. Your body needs fat, and fat consumed doesn't necessarily turn into fat on the body. Stick to healthy fats, though. I go through olive oil like it's air. I also eat tons of nuts, nut butter, seeds, grass-fed half&half, full fat Greek yogurt, eggs and avocados.

5. Sugar is the enemy. It makes your body produce insulin, which is a hormone that tells your body to store fat. And sugar hides in all kinds of things and goes by different names. It's not enough to just avoid desserts; most packaged/processed foods are loaded with sugar in one form or another, even savory items. Sugar is addictive and the more you eat (even in hidden forms), the more your crave.

6. Read ingredient labels and don't trust the "claims" on the front of the package. Ignore the front of the package where is says "sugar-free" and read the ingredient label on the back. It might surprise you to find it's full of corn syrup, which is just another form of sugar. Another example: "made with 100% wheat." Notice it doesn't say WHOLE wheat. Or "made with whole grains." It can say that on the front, even though it might only have a tiny smidgeon of whole grain, and be mostly made with plain old white flour. You have to read ingredient labels. Don't even get me started on the often-seen claim of "all natural." It means nothing. Sugar is natural, but it's not good for you. :rolleyes:

7. Avoid highly processed/packaged foods. See #5 & 6 above. Stick to real food. Don't fall back on the claims of "I don't have time to cook." If something is important to you, you can find the time. Meal prepping in advance or for several meals at a time is a great time-saver that helps you eat healthy.

8. I don't count anything. Not calories, or fat grams, or carbs. I eat mainly real food (no highly processed stuff) and make sure each meal/snack includes a big portion of fruits/veggies, as well as protein and healthy fat. I also eat a ton of healthy carbs. I avoid added sugar, as well as white flour, white rice and all but the occasional baked potato. I eat tons of healthy carbs in the form of fruit, beans, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, etc. In fact, when I upped my workouts to 5x/week I found I had to really up my carb intake to maintain enough energy. I also drink at least 80oz. of water/day.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional, nutritionist or dietician and don't claim to be. Everyone is different. This is what has worked for me, but is also based on significant reading and research on nutrition and healthy weight loss. I have observed a lot of friends trying to lose weight and making excuses for why they can't, all the while observing that they are usually doing the opposite of at least several things listed above (avoiding ALL carbs or ALL fat, severely limiting calories, making excuses, buying process crap because it's "sugar free" or "fat free" etc.)

Congratulations on your success and wow, what a great, truly helpful post. Thanks for sharing all this.

I have to say I totally agree with it all. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as possible and managed to lose 20 pounds a few years ago on a low carb (not no-carb, and most were from as you say, fruits, veg, legumes), no calorie counting, minimal exercise diet. In fact, it was an odd one that encouraged you to eat small meals 6 times a day. I felt like I was going to gain a ton of weight from eating so much all the time but I actually felt full, energized and still lost. I think I'm going to give something like that a try again and combine it with my daily treadmill routine.

Enjoy your cruise!

Congratulations on your success and wow, what a great, truly helpful post. Thanks for sharing all this.

I have to say I totally agree with it all. I try to avoid pre-packaged foods as much as possible and managed to lose 20 pounds a few years ago on a low carb (not no-carb, and most were from as you say, fruits, veg, legumes), no calorie counting, minimal exercise diet. In fact, it was an odd one that encouraged you to eat small meals 6 times a day. I felt like I was going to gain a ton of weight from eating so much all the time but I actually felt full, energized and still lost. I think I'm going to give something like that a try again and combine it with my daily treadmill routine.

You're very welcome. I hope others can benefit from it. Just eliminating pre-packaged food alone is beneficial. If you do that, you're going to eliminate a ton of added sugar and unhealthy processed carbs that do nothing for you, not to mention all the chemical additives that poison your body.

I have been on the Isagenix program for the past 2-1/2 months. I did not start this program to lose weight, but rather my goal is to lose some visceral belly fat through clean eating and releasing toxins. I am 5'1 and 115 lbs now (down from 121 lbs), so in essence it is a healthy weight for me, BUT I have battled belly fat for most of my adult life.

I started with the 30-day cleanse program, consisting of 2 shakes/day as meal replacements (usually breakfast and dinner), lunch approx 400-600 calories for lean protein and veggies, healthy snacks throughout the day (to satisfy hunger and keep blood sugar levels even), and 1-2 cleanse days per week (intermittent fasting). I cut out all sugar, most starchy carbs, alcohol, and caffeine. OK, I had a cheeky glass of wine or two after 2-1/2 weeks in, but restricted wine to only on the weekend and 1 glass. I lost 6 lbs, approximately 2 inches, reduced body fat, and have gained lean muscle (defined!). Again, it is not a ton of weight, but this small difference allows my clothes/bathing suits to fit so much better in the places where I am self-conscious of my belly bulge. I can actually see my abs! :)

I am on a maintenance program now, so I have 1 shake for breakfast and my lunches/dinners consist of lean protein and lots of veggies, and then I have 1 cleanse day per week. Of course on the weekend I have a small indulgence now and then, but the great part about the program is that it is totally flexible, so if you do have an "off" day, you can jump right back on it.

No program is one size fits all, you have to find what works for you!

• 3 weeks later...

I've lost 54 pounds since January. Sept 30 we leave on Royal Princess for a B2B2B. I'm afraid of gaining a pound a day. I know ships have gyms but I've never been in one. I'm thinking of hiring a personal trainer this trip to show me around. Good luck to everybody.

I've lost 54 pounds since January. Sept 30 we leave on Royal Princess for a B2B2B. I'm afraid of gaining a pound a day. I know ships have gyms but I've never been in one. I'm thinking of hiring a personal trainer this trip to show me around. Good luck to everybody.

By all means, use the gym, but I've read that 80% of weight loss/gain is about what you do/don't put in your mouth, and that exercise is only about 20% of the equation. That was certainly true in my case. You can't go on a cruise and eat and drink anything and everything, and expect that burning 200-300 calories in the gym will negate that. If you are truly concerned about gaining weight on a cruise, I'd focus on making the right choices at meals, rather than using the "I'm on vacation so I'll spurge" excuse every day.

Congratulations to everyone losing or even trying to lose weight in order to improve your health. I have recently lost 20 lbs and hope to lose 10 more but am a frequent cruiser. The best advice for a cruise would be drink lots of water, lots, and take the stairs whenever possible. I go to the gym regularly on a cruise even if it's just to walk on the treadmill. I love the view and it keeps me away from the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

By all means, use the gym, but I've read that 80% of weight loss/gain is about what you do/don't put in your mouth, and that exercise is only about 20% of the equation. That was certainly true in my case. You can't go on a cruise and eat and drink anything and everything, and expect that burning 200-300 calories in the gym will negate that. If you are truly concerned about gaining weight on a cruise, I'd focus on making the right choices at meals, rather than using the "I'm on vacation so I'll spurge" excuse every day.

Some good advice here. Try selecting nutrient dense foods, so you get your "money's worth" when you eat. Then bulk up with lots of veggies/salad.

And walk a lot. Offer to get things for others in your group. They will think you are being kind, but your getting some exercise at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I have determined that the best ways not to gain weight on cruises, is to have most of our meals in the diningrooms, rather than the buffet. The smaller servings there are instant portion control. For dessert, he will order a fruit plate, and I have a lemon sorbet. Since we rarely drink alcohol, that helps keep the calories down.

Also we try to use the stairs and avoid the elevators. We walk a few go-rounds on the promenade decks daily, and I swim in the pool when it's not too crowded.

• 1 month later...

I stopped eating fried foods, breads( pizza that I love) and most sugars and lost a lot of weight. Now I am used to eating this way. I don't remember the last time I ate at a Mcdonalds or any fast food place. I do enjoy myself when I am on vacation though. That is what they are for, to enjoy yourself and have fun doing things. If you stick to a diet you will see a difference in no time. Good luck with what you decide to help you out and have a great cruise.

Everyone has very good advice. I will tell you what my doctor said. He told me not to eat more than 70 carbs a day. I started in June and as of today I have lost 21.8 pounds. I don’t exercise but I read labels and was absolutely floored with the amount of carbs in so many foods. For me it’s been hard as far is not eating rice, pasta, certain fruits and vegetables. I have to say I am definitely not starving I’m full and enjoy getting on that scale and seeing it creeping down lower and lower. I don’t even look at calories only carbs and sugar. I really think that I can still enjoy my upcoming cruise but still not go hogwild and eat everything in sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyone has very good advice. I will tell you what my doctor said. He told me not to eat more than 70 carbs a day.....For me it’s been hard as far is not eating rice, pasta, certain fruits and vegetables.

I had great success not limiting carbs, just limiting highly processed carbs and sugar. I lost almost 30 lbs. with no limit on the types of fruits and veggies I ate, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, occasional sprouted grain bread, occasional quinoa pasta, and even the occasional baked potato.

I understand perfectly what you’re saying. If I hadn’t just recently been diagnosed with type two diabetes I wouldn’t have to worry about eating potatoes and pasta and what have you. I not only and not eating carbs to lose weight but also because of the diabetes and try to follow that type of diet.

• 1 month later...
I have been on the Isagenix program for the past 2-1/2 months.

No program is one size fits all, you have to find what works for you!

I am on the Isagenix plan as well and I did start in May to lose before our October cruise. I lost 45 pounds, felt way better and had lots more energy. I am now using it in a maintenance way like you are and it has been a good lifestyle nutrition change.