OBC and 'solo' cruiser.

Bill B

In my case doubly so because:

1. I was told over the phone on Oct. 28 the price was going to rise on October 1. It did not;

and,

2. The 10% early booking bonus applies if final payment is made by Oct. 31. Implying (not stating... that's crucial) it will expire on that date. However, it will probably be extended... we'll see.

I have the same issue. I booked a back to back 2019 cruise and the SS agent told me the same. Pice would go up and the 10% would go away. Just saw the price went down but the solo supplement changed according to SS. The same 10% was added till Dec 31st. This would have been my first SS cruise, I am seriously thinking about cancelling this and moving on to find a line that I can feel doesn't play the shell game.

Also, they did give me the same $500 obc.

Edited by Rummblestrip
added info

Rummblestrip, I feel your pain. I was lured into reserving my September '18 trip in October '16 by, among other things, the promise of an early booking discount of 10%, so when I see that the company is making the same offer a year later, it does tend to stick in the craw. However, Silversea was offering an itinerary that appealed to me, I was able to book the cabin I wanted, and having paid in full up front, am hopefully protected from whatever currency upheavals Brexit may produce over the coming months. I understand why you are thinking about taking your business elsewhere but where will you go (unless money is no object)? I have been looking for a trans-Pacific voyage that takes in Tahiti, for 2019 (USA/South America to OZ/New Zealand) and I cannot find a line that doesn't charge a 100% single supplement other than Silversea. On principle I will not pay a double fare when only one mouth is being fed... what do other board members suggest?

Twigalina, I'm in a similar boat ;). The fact 'my' cruise goes to South Georgia was the prime consideration - if you want to go to SG, there aren't that many ships/lines to choose from. I looked at them all and chose SS's 'Cape to Cape Adventure' because of the price per day. There are expedition cruises to SG on other lines (round-trip Ushuaia or Buenos Aries) that cost more per day, are not 'all inclusive', you share a room with 2-3 strangers (unless you really want to start paying) and you are surrounded by Naugahyde & Arborite rather than marble & teak. SS's 'round-trip' cruise to SG is about twice as much per day as my one-way 're-positioning' (I guess most people don't want to 'end up' in Africa). The only comparable cruise to mine for itinerary (almost identical) is on Ponant for an almost identical price. I chose SS because: I don't speak French, I like having a swimming pool & hot tubs, and they have a better cancellation policy (with Ponant, your entire 25% deposit is non-refundable). In other words, the least expensive way to see SG in on an all inclusive, luxury line, re-positioning cruise.

Do other 'all inclusive', luxury cruise lines charge a 100% single supplement? I figured SS's 25% was because they are an all inclusive line i.e. don't depend on 'on board revenue' to turn a profit.

As a 'first timer' on SS, I'm not impressed by their deliberately misleading market strategy (but SS is hardly alone among cruise lines in doing so).

In my case doubly so because:

1. I was told over the phone on Oct. 28 the price was going to rise on October 1. It did not;

and,

2. The 10% early booking bonus applies if final payment is made by Oct. 31. Implying (not stating... that's crucial) it will expire on that date. However, it will probably be extended... we'll see.

Bill, each month without fail (and often randomly if sales are going well) Silversea adjust their prices on the 1st of the month.

The early booking offer can be extended but not always. Mine disappeared finally this month.

What’s been explained s few times now, is that to guarantee that price with the 10% off, you need to pay by that date. If the offer extends, but the prices increases, you won’t be eligible for the discount. Sometimes, no price increase (which is often the case), but it’s a gamble.

...to guarantee that price with the 10% off, you need to pay by that date. If the offer extends, but the prices increases, you won’t be eligible for the discount. Sometimes, no price increase (which is often the case), but it’s a gamble.

Yes, I get it... now.

It's not a 'rip-off'... and they do exactly what they say.

However, does anyone believe the way the EBB is set up and worded is not designed to be purposefully misleading to those not 'in the know'?

Yes, I get it... now.

It's not a 'rip-off'... and they do exactly what they say.

However, does anyone believe the way the EBB is set up and worded is not designed to be purposefully misleading to those not 'in the know'?

But cruises do sell out and the EBB gets removed “early”. It’s not s given its going to last and it really isn’t misleading.

I expect you would be angry had you not paid in full, but found the price of your cruise increased by $100 meaning you had missed the boat and no longer eligible to get the EBB discount. (whilch isn’t entirely true, as you could cancel and rebook and be eligible. Just that you’d be paying that $100 increase pp.

What happened to you this month, happened to me last year as I’ve said. I worked out quickly it was a gamble which the following 2 months came in with the promotions that got added and granted at no further costs.

There are numerous things SS do wrong IMHO. I just don’t think this is one of them.

I expect you would be angry had you not paid in full, but found the price of your cruise increased by $100 meaning you had missed the boat and no longer eligible to get the EBB discount.

No I wouldn't. I understood perfectly well, to get the EBB, the cruise had to be paid in full by the 'until' date in effect when I made the booking. There is a natural assumption the EBB will expire on that date. One feels duped (at least I did) when after that date, the 'until' date for the EBB is extended two months and the stated 'fare' (without the EBB) remains the same.

They can withdraw the EBB offer at any time; and, they can raise (or lower) the fare at any time. So, by paying in full on or before the 'until' date of the EBB in effect when you make the booking, you are buying an 'insurance policy' against future fare increases... the 'premium' being they have your money early. However, by having an EBB, they have created the need for the 'insurance policy' - if the EBB did not exist and the 'true' fare was 10% less, as soon as you made the deposit, it would be 'locked in' until final payment date.

Here's something I am still unclear of -

The Silver Privilege Fare for my cruise is currently $1100 pp. The 10% EBB brings it to $9900 pp. If the stated ($1100) fare does not rise, but they add a two Cat. upgrade plus $1000 OBC (those seem common), will I be elgible for any reimbursement under the Silversea Fare Guarantee Programme? You say they gave you the added promotions. However, seems to me they could (not necessarily will) be denied... because the fare has not been reduced.

Edited by Bill B

No I wouldn't. I understood perfectly well, to get the EBB, the cruise had to be paid in full by the 'until' date in effect when I made the booking. There is a natural assumption the EBB will expire on that date. One feels duped (at least I did) when after that date, the 'until' date for the EBB is extended two months and the stated 'fare' (without the EBB) remains the same.

They can withdraw the EBB offer at any time; and, they can raise (or lower) the fare at any time. So, by paying in full on or before the 'until' date of the EBB in effect when you make the booking, you are buying an 'insurance policy' against future fare increases... the 'premium' being they have your money early.

Here's something I am still unclear of -

The Silver Privilege Fare for my cruise is currently $1100 pp. The 10% EBB brings it to $9900 pp. If the stated ($1100) fare does not rise, but they add a two Cat. upgrade plus $1000 OBC (those seem common), will I be elgible for any reimbursement under the Silversea Fare Guarantee Programme? You say they gave you the added promotions. However, seems to me they could (not necessarily will) be denied... because the fare has not been reduced.

Bill, you say you understand the EBB details, but I really still don’t think you do and your anger seems to be because of your own assumption the offer would end.

I’m unsure on the specifics on your Silver privilege question as part doesn’t read right, part seems to challenge what I’d said about my experience of my personal booking and I’m not really sure what your question is.

Firstly silver privilege you get to choose one of three, yet you’ve said you’ve been given two of them?

If the offer appears for Silver privilege after you have paid in full and there are no price increases for the fare you have paid, then you will be entitled to the promotion (subject to availability). Obviously I’m just going on the limited knowledge of your booking and make the assumption there are no details affecting the price you’ve not mentioned. Generally any discounts you have (Venetian, early booking or on board discount) won’t feature as a complication. At least it wasn’t from my own personal experience.

I did think from previous posts, that you had only just paid and complaint was the EBB had continued for the month of November. So did you already have the silver privilege promotion when you paid or has it just been added after and have been given it and worried it may be taken away from you.

Once agreed, it’s yours.

For the record, the silver privilege promotion has changed. Not sure when, but certainly recently - maybe this month. The OBC option was $1500 but has been reduced to $1000 now. The others remain the same.

Bill, you say you understand the EBB details, but I really still don’t think you do and your anger seems to be because of your own assumption the offer would end.

True... but I think it's a natural assumption. For my cruise, they state an $1100 fare and an EBB price of $9900 if paid in full by a certain date. I think the vast majority of people will assume the EBB offer ends on that date.

I’m unsure on the specifics on your Silver privilege question as part doesn’t read right, part seems to challenge what I’d said about my experience of my personal booking and I’m not really sure what your question is.

I'm not challenging what you said about your experience. I'm asking if a cruise fare is not reduced, but they instead add 'perks' (upgrades, OBC etc.) is someone who's already booked and paid in full eligible for those perks under the Silversea Fare Guarantee Programme? The wording of the programme is very specific and would seem to imply otherwise. It states "...benefit from any future reduction in the Silver Privilege Fares for their voyage." What exactly are 'Silver Privilege Fares'... and, is the EBB price considered a Silver Privilege Fare?

Edited by Bill B

True... but I think it's a natural assumption. For my cruise, they state an $1100 fare and an EBB price of $9900 if paid in full by a certain date. I think the vast majority of people will assume the EBB offer ends on that date.

I'm not challenging what you said about your experience. I'm asking if a cruise fare is not reduced, but they instead add 'perks' (upgrades, OBC etc.) is someone who's already booked and paid in full eligible for those perks under the Silversea Fare Guarantee Programme? The wording of the programme is very specific and would seem to imply otherwise. It states "...benefit from any future reduction in the Silver Privilege Fares for their voyage." What exactly are 'Silver Privilege Fares'... and, is the EBB price considered a Silver Privilege Fare?

I think you are confusing EBB with silver select fares which are 2 entirely different things and explains my own confusion with what you’ve posted on your $1100 discount. That is yours and can’t be taken as you’ve paid in full.

Silver select fares are essentially a promotion that gets added to cruises that are not selling well and done purely to boost sales.

The offer gives you a choice of one of three things. A 50% discount on a second suite, a 2 category upgrade on your chosen suite or a $1000 OBC. (The OBC used to be $1500 but has been reduced and has only just happened.)

It’s not available on that many cruises and usually not available until the sail date is less than a year off or sooner. You can be entitled to both promotions and others beside.

Details here

https://www.silversea.com/exclusive-offers/silver-select-program.html

On the question I believe you are asking, paying the EBB will not affect your eligibility. The price of your fare will be quoted on your invoice less any discounts you have. If the fare increases (and it more often than not does when these promotion gets added) then you won’t be eligible. If however it’s added without a fare increase (which has just happened on my cruise for next March) then you can ask for the promotion despite having paid in full.

Like I said, on my cruise last March, I hit the jackpot and got not only one but two promotional incentives added. I got both a 2 cat upgrade for silver select and also a $1000 on board credit for a separate promotion for “Venetian” cruisers. Yes, I get very lucky. Those deals do appear together at times, but would think they’d be as rare as rocking horse poo to be eligible for previous bookers to be able to take advantage. (Like I’ve said, adding “deals” usually gives with one hand and takes with the other. Ie it involves a fare increase.

Now I mentioned previously also, that my own cruise has had Silver select added and EBB no longer available. That would not affect my eligibility to obtain as the base price has not changed. What is different on mine is it is already heavily discounted because SS cancelled my booked cruise and was given this as a replacement. I did have a veranda on my Spirit booking and as part of my own compromise to secure the replacement, I took a Vista suite. I have asked and SS have confirmed i am entitled to get it. However because of the huge discount, have offered the veranda at a concessionary price as a compromise. Had I not have taken the suite hit, I wouldn’t even have asked. They could easily have said no, “your fare falls outside offers” because of the circumstances it was obtained. I certainly couldn’t have complained if they had done so. It’s the reason I prefer to book direct rather than through an agent.

Aaaaaaaaah... so there are 'regular' fares and 'promo' fares:

- Silver Privilege Fares (reg.) that may have a 10% EBB.

- Silver Select Fares (promo) that offer: $1000 OBC*, or two-cat. upgrade, or 50% off a second suite. *Not available on Expedition cruises.

I've booked the Silver Cloud on her yearly migration across the South Atlantic from Ushuaia to Cape Town on March 7, 2019. She does an identical cruise this coming Feb. 28, 2018... so I have the perfect basis to see what might happen fare-wise to my cruise in a year.

I booked a Vista Suite. I almost went for a Veranda Suite, but didn't because you can't smoke on a veranda, plus I figure it's likely to be pretty cold and windy (almost unusable) 'out there' for most of the trip.

For Mar. 7, 2019 the Silver Privilege Fare for a Vista Suite is currently $11000 pp with a 10% EBB making it $9900 pp. I paid a 25% single supplement = $12,375. They gave me $500 OBC.

For Feb. 28, 2018 the Silver Select Fare for a Vista Suite is currently $14,800 pp. However, the $1000 OBC optioin is not available because it's an expedition cruise, and a second suite is no use to me. So, I would take the two-cat. upgrade to a Deluxe Veranda Suite.

A Deluxe Veranda Suite on the 2019 cruise is currently priced at $14,600 pp with a an EBB making it $13,140 pp.

I seems unlikely my Silver Privilege Fare will be reduced; or that a possible future Silver Privilege Fare will be less... or offer anything better than I have now.

Bill , reductions may happen on the SS website but I’ve only ever seen static prices (plus promotions to tempt you) or hikes or huge hikes. My cruise that they cancelled on the Spirit was nigh 100% higher than what I paid at booking when it got cancelled.

The cruise you speak of I expect will get wait listed early and I think you’re correct that no promotions will be added, only increases.

Your logic on looking at the 2018 cruise to compare is sound. I’ve never booked anything as far out as you have here so hopefully you’ve got it at the best price it’s going to be. As you saw on the 2018 offer, they’ve added things, but because the price has increased, it wouldn’t be a valid promo to be added in your situation should it be on your own. Hope this makes a bit more sense now. If it was financially worthwhile, you could cancel and rebook, but it won’t just be added as the fare has been altered.

The really popular cruises, like the tower bridge starters, start with high prices that only get higher. They never get promos added (that I’ve seen) because SS know they will sell and occupancy become wait listed often shortly after the brochure is released. On the other hand, some of the Winds Caribbean cruises need lots of pushing and generally the price per day is less on these cruises than others and often the ones that benefit promos. It’s worth keeping your eye on pricing on the 1st of the month. I’m not convinced you would be told an offer you can benefit from exists... you need to ask for it. At least that is what I’ve found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not convinced you would be told an offer you can benefit from exists... you need to ask for it.

Yes... if you find a lower fare you have to ask for it. They're not going to give it to you automatically. The Silversea Fare Guaratntee Programme states -

"... benefit from any future reduction in the Silver Privilege Fares for their voyage, upon request."

Now, this brings up the question -

What happens if, in the unlikely event a Silver Select Fare is less than a Silver Privilege Fare? It seems to me you could be denied the lower fare because the guarantee programme only applies to Silver Privilege Fares.

Edited by Bill B

Yes... if you find a lower fare you have to ask for it. They're not going to give it to you automatically. The Silversea Fare Guaratntee Programme states -

"... benefit from any future reduction in the Silver Privilege Fares for their voyage, upon request."

Now, this brings up the question -

What happens if, in the unlikely event a Silver Select Fare is less than a Silver Privilege Fare? It seems to me you could be denied the lower fare because the guarantee programme only applies to Silver Privilege Fares.

Silver select isn’t a fare. Is an add on promotion.

The fare is the fare. If when a promotion is added (such as Silver select of discounted / free air fares) The fare you paid and the current fare is what you will be comparing. If you paid less (ignore EBB / Venetian or on board booking discounts for this purpose.)

If the fare goes down, then you are entitled to a refund of the difference. I still think your not quite understanding. I’ve never seen a fare reduction - only increases. It may happen - iv just never seen one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Can anyone explain where the OBC shows on the cruise documentation? I just received final docs for a Galapagos cruise leaving 1/25 and I don’t see it online or on the documents. I did mention this to my Silversea cruise Consultant (booked direct with Silversea and was offered $800 OBC) and he said we would receive it onboard. This seems a little odd to me as others have mentioned seeing the OBC on documents on this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums