Port of Long Beach.... Global Entry or TSA Precheck Line?

CatsinShow

I seem to have difficulty finding out which ports have lines for GE or TSA Precheck.

When I took a cruise from Vancouver to Alaska, there was a Precheck line to board and it was great being able to take that as only a few people were ahead of me.

Does Long Beach have this as well?

Hmmm....we need to clarify some things here. First, to my knowledge only Ft Lauderdale and Miami have Global Entry at their ports, for Americans returning to the US.

Second, Vancouver shouldn't have Pre Check at the Port, as Pre Check is an American feature, run by TSA, used only for flights. However, if you clearing US Immigration and Customs to enter the US as you board the ship, you might be able to use Global Entry, as that is a Customs and Border Protection(CBP) program for people re-entering the US, and it is common to clear US Immigration and Customs at Vancouver as you board a cruise that goes to Alaska.

Some airports in the world (several in Canada) have what is referred to as "pre-clearance", which is a CBP procedure to clear people entering the US, and makes the flight to the US like a domestic flight, not an international flight.

So what exactly did you experience in Vancouver?

No precheck or global entry at The Dome in Long Beach.

Only way to get priority is to have it thru Carnival. Diamond, Platinum, FTTF , Suites, or part of a wedding. Everyone else is the same at debark though those with Priority (all of the above except weddings) can get off at the beginning.

I have a cruise that left Vancouver to Alaska (and ended in Alaska). When I went to check in at Vancouver, there was like a 2nd or 3rd line to go through. One line was separate for people in Global Entry. I just showed them my Nexus Card.

NEXUS is an option of Global Entry, CBP system. It is not TSA Pre Check. So you essentially used Global Entry to enter the US. You actually used the "pre-clearance" program I described in post# 2.

GE and NEXUS are worth every penny. We just arrived at Ft Lauderdale on Sunday. The regular Immigration line had, no kidding, 100 people in it (two thirds of the pax on our cruise were Canadian, another 10+ percent were other countries). We were the only people in the GE line. Saved us 30 minutes, easy.

As mentioned earlier, due to the very high volume of ships at Ft Lauderdale and Miami, those are the only ports accepting GE. But that could change for next summer's cruise season, I suppose, to include Seattle.

Edited by CruiserBruce

• 2 weeks later...
NEXUS is an option of Global Entry, CBP system. It is not TSA Pre Check. So you essentially used Global Entry to enter the US. You actually used the "pre-clearance" program I described in post# 2.

GE and NEXUS are worth every penny. We just arrived at Ft Lauderdale on Sunday. The regular Immigration line had, no kidding, 100 people in it (two thirds of the pax on our cruise were Canadian, another 10+ percent were other countries). We were the only people in the GE line. Saved us 30 minutes, easy.

As mentioned earlier, due to the very high volume of ships at Ft Lauderdale and Miami, those are the only ports accepting GE. But that could change for next summer's cruise season, I suppose, to include Seattle.

Did you go straight to the GE line? How did you get around the main line before you get to the stations? Did you have a porter?

Did you go straight to the GE line? How did you get around the main line before you get to the stations? Did you have a porter?

Straight to the GE line. There is an entry to the GE line right where you come out of the bag claim area, before the zig-zag of the main line. At least at Terminal 26.

And to repeat:

Post #4 is very true! No GE at Long Beach port as we returned today from Ensenada.

Fortunately we opted to do the self-assist departure. Less that 30 people in the room with us and we zipped off the ship and was in an Uber within 10 mins after leaving the ship.

NEXUS is an option of Global Entry, CBP system. It is not TSA Pre Check.

GE and NEXUS are worth every penny. .

NEXUS is only for land travel between US and Canada. SENTRI is only for land travel between US and Mexico. GE is for international air travel and the two ports mentioned entering the US. TSA-precheck is only for boarding airplanes, mostly US domestic. But we just used it for an outbound international flight SFO to HGK.

We just used for the first time GE at arrival to SFO last week on a flight from Hong Kong. It probably saved us an hour clearing CBP. We were off the plane and at the curb in less than 20 minutes.

We had GE because it was included in our SENTRI pass cards and is linked to our passports.