3 new ships (not 2!)

moki'smommy

i still disagree

if it's adult, it's adult

no exceptions

i for one don't want babies there...i don't want strollers there....it's an adult venue so i'm there to be with adults...not babies...

and yes, i have kids....loved having kids.....though i was a high powered whatever, i chose to stay home for 14 years with the kids and it was the best job i ever had...

and i enjoy taking care of the grandkids now...

but if i'm some place where kids are not supposed to be, then they're not supposed to be there.....be they 1 day old or older...

if you can't part from then, then don't come..

I totally agree with you and so does my wife who nursed both of our children.

I agree that people will not use common sense and push the limits. And as long as the infant is quiet, I don't have any issues.

We bought both of our kids earmuffs to use and they worked great, even when the fireworks were going off, the youngest (3 months) didn't wake up.

And people pushing limits would place DCL CMs in bad positions. My opinion--adult activities/areas are for adults. That makes it very clear who is and who is not permitted. But then, I was the mother who would not allow my daughter to walk thru the adult pool area until she was 18. Too literal? According to some, definitely. On the other hand, there was no reason that she HAD to walk thru an area that clearly said "Guests 18 and older," and this mother didn't permit invented excuses.

DCL clearly advertises "adult only" locations and activities as places where adults can get away from kids. In my opinion, that needs to be enforced. No, I don't hate kids. But I do enjoy kid free times and spaces on my vacation.

How did this topic go from discussing the new ships turn into a discussion of whats right and wrong in adult areas. By the way, we are talking about the DISNEY cruise line, aren't we?

Yes, we are. I take it by your comment that because it's Disney, we should assume that adults don't count. Had Disney not attempted to cater to adults by creating adult only areas, this would not be an issue. But as long as they did, then all we ask is that those areas and the rules governing those areas, be respected.

Yes, we are. I take it by your comment that because it's Disney, we should assume that adults don't count. Had Disney not attempted to cater to adults by creating adult only areas, this would not be an issue. But as long as they did, then all we ask is that those areas and the rules governing those areas, be respected.

Not exactly. I believe the rules should be enforced regarding after hours shows and say Palo. However, when it comes to passing through an adult area (pool), and I emphasize 'passing through', some latitude should be given. There is no way I would go up and down a flight of stairs, literally dozens of times during my week long cruise, just to avoid an Adult area, which may or may not even be occupied in the first place.

Not exactly. I believe the rules should be enforced regarding after hours shows and say Palo. However, when it comes to passing through an adult area (pool), and I emphasize 'passing through', some latitude should be given. There is no way I would go up and down a flight of stairs, literally dozens of times during my week long cruise, just to avoid an Adult area, which may or may not even be occupied in the first place.

The point is that you don't have to go up or down stairs to avoid the adult areas on the Magic and Wonder, and only those few guests in the far forward section concierge cabins are involved on the Dream and Fantasy. That's how our discussion started--saying that we hope the new ships are better designed in this regard than the D and F. Unless you are staying in one of those far forward concierge cabins, you have to go up a flight of stairs or ride an elevator to get to the pool deck. It is just as easy to walk to the midship elevators on the floor you are on and get off in a "family" area as it is to walk to the forward elevator, get off and walk thru an adult only area. What it amounts to is that people make a choice to take the forward elevators and walk thru on the pool deck rather than walking the distance on a floor with cabins or other public areas.

It is exactly the same distance traversed and the same use of stairs or elevators. The only difference is the decision to walk forward and use those rather than walk to midship and go up from there.

As to "passing thru," that can mean anything from quietly walking to walking while screaming at others in your party to skating on those idiotic "heelie" shoes (which are also not permitted on the ship for safety reasons). And yes, while I was sitting in the area outside of the Cove Cafe with a cup of tea and a book, an unsupervised child plowed into me and my table, spilling my tea....and took off without so much as an apology. Wrong on so many levels!

There is NO reason that a kid needs to be in the adult area. They can use a wave phone to contact a parent who should really be supervising them if they are not in the programming.

The point is that you don't have to go up or down stairs to avoid the adult areas on the Magic and Wonder' date=' and only those few guests in the far forward section concierge cabins are involved on the Dream and Fantasy. That's how our discussion started--saying that we hope the new ships are better designed in this regard than the D and F. Unless you are staying in one of those far forward concierge cabins, you have to go up a flight of stairs or ride an elevator to get to the pool deck. It is just as easy to walk to the midship elevators on the floor you are on and get off in a "family" area as it is to walk to the forward elevator, get off and walk thru an adult only area. What it amounts to is that people make a choice to take the forward elevators and walk thru on the pool deck rather than walking the distance on a floor with cabins or other public areas.

It is exactly the same distance traversed and the same use of stairs or elevators. The only difference is the decision to walk forward and use those rather than walk to midship and go up from there.

As to "passing thru," that can mean anything from quietly walking to walking while screaming at others in your party to skating on those idiotic "heelie" shoes (which are also not permitted on the ship for safety reasons). And yes, while I was sitting in the area outside of the Cove Cafe with a cup of tea and a book, an unsupervised child plowed into me and my table, spilling my tea....and took off without so much as an apology. Wrong on so many levels!

There is NO reason that a kid needs to be in the adult area. They can use a wave phone to contact a parent who should really be supervising them if they are not in the programming.[/quote']

I do agree with you about the situations where you can easily avoid the Adult areas with a little planning. I would give those families who are in concierge on decks 11 and 12 on the Dream and Fantasy a pass. Its very inconvenient to get to the pool or deck 11 venues without traversing the adult area. As I said, I'm not doing the stairs all week to get from my room to get a soda or ice cream or to get to the buffet. You should give those others who are not familiar with the ship's layout a pass if they inadvertently 'trespass' into the adult area. But please, don't crucify every kid on on board because you had one bad experience. Again DISNEY = lots of kids.

I do agree with you about the situations where you can easily avoid the Adult areas with a little planning. I would give those families who are in concierge on decks 11 and 12 on the Dream and Fantasy a pass. Its very inconvenient to get to the pool or deck 11 venues without traversing the adult area. As I said, I'm not doing the stairs all week to get from my room to get a soda or ice cream or to get to the buffet. You should give those others who are not familiar with the ship's layout a pass if they inadvertently 'trespass' into the adult area. But please, don't crucify every kid on on board because you had one bad experience. Again DISNEY = lots of kids.

I agree that those few cabins on Decks 11 and 12 are almost in a "have to" situation on the newer ships. That's why we were talking about our hopes for design of the newest ships under construction.

I guess we're going to need to agree to disagree--I don't see why a guest who is unfamiliar with the layout can't understand a sign that clearly reads "This area intended for guests 18 and over." These signs are posted at all entrances. And, if only it were one bad experience; I related the worst, but in reality I've had several instances where kids were disruptive in the adult only area around the pool. Yes, the CMs will chase a kid out of the pool (I've seen that too), but nothing is done about kids being kids--noisy, running around, not watching...in many ways just being kids having fun, but in the wrong place. And yes, Disney = lots of kids. There are very few areas of the ship where they are not welcome, but they should be kept out of those areas. As long as DCL advertises "adult only" areas and places signs indicating "guests 18 and older," those areas should be enforced.

I agree that those few cabins on Decks 11 and 12 are almost in a "have to" situation on the newer ships. That's why we were talking about our hopes for design of the newest ships under construction.

I guess we're going to need to agree to disagree--I don't see why a guest who is unfamiliar with the layout can't understand a sign that clearly reads "This area intended for guests 18 and over." These signs are posted at all entrances. And' date=' if only it were one bad experience; I related the worst, but in reality I've had several instances where kids were disruptive in the adult only area around the pool. Yes, the CMs will chase a kid out of the pool (I've seen that too), but nothing is done about kids being kids--noisy, running around, not watching...in many ways just being kids having fun, but in the wrong place. And yes, Disney = lots of kids. There are very few areas of the ship where they are not welcome, but they should be kept out of those areas. As long as DCL advertises "adult only" areas and places signs indicating "guests 18 and older," those areas should be enforced.[/quote']

Amen.

I agree with that, but I didn't get that from your statement. It sounded like you were implying that since we were on Disney, we should not expect any exclusivity. Having said that, I sort of steered this thread off course when I first suggested that this be taken into consideration when designing the new ships. That is, that adult areas be positioned so that they are not in a main traffic area.

Love to see a itinerary that runs from Hawaii to Australia could stop at all the island like Bora Bora, Fiji Vanuatu , New Caladonia. Could be a nice long 14 nighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

there is already such a cruise...on Royal Caribbean. DCL's limited itineraries are getting so repetitive and main reason that's driving us to look at other cruise lines....

• 3 weeks later...
With the new ships will the price comedown

Doubtful. Prices went up when the Dream and Fantasy joined the fleet. THe only way prices will come down is if DCL can't fill ships. Otherwise, they'll stay high in order to pay off those beauties that cost $1billion+ each.

Do you know what’s going to be different and when the ships will come out

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When it was only 2 new ones, the announcement said 2021 and 2023 with an option on 2 more. Obviously they've used the option on one. The latest I've seen is a launch in 2021, 2022, and 2023. I really don't know a lot more other than that they are similar in size to the Dream and Fantasy (slightly larger, actually at 135,000 tons) and I believe being built at Meyer-Weft. This is what was released at the 2017 D23 convention.

The classics are in pretty good shape and not likely to be retired by Disney for 10 or 15 years. My own thoughts is that one classic will go to South American and the other to Europe full time One of the Dream or the new class going to the far east.

AKK

With the new ships will the price comedown

i doubt the prices will come down.

all you have to do is look at how much their european and middle eastern guests are willing to pay on the VERY expensive european disney cruises to know that they have a vast market of very wealthy potential guests out there.

on my daughter's high priced med cruise last year there were 1,000 guests from the arabian peninsula.....that's a lot.

and it's even more true in the far east where the pool of potential guests is both well to do and disney crazed - and willing to spend big bucks on their disney vacations...

in fact, i'm guessing that those two broad groups (middle eastern and asian) may associate high prices with quality...

so disney would be foolish to drop prices to those markets...

disney will probably continue to ride the demand curve as they do today...

• 3 weeks later...
the Wonder and Magic are getting close to 20 years now. I wonder if they are planning to replace and grow the fleet by one by the mid 20's

You are not the only one to question this, but they continue to undergo modifications and upgrades...and they will be the only smaller ships in the fleet. My guess is that they'll probably continue as DCL ships for many years to come.

the Wonder and Magic are getting close to 20 years now. I wonder if they are planning to replace and grow the fleet by one by the mid 20's
If I remember reading the steel used on the Wonder and Magic, would indicate a 40-50 year life span. I suspect the larger ships will handle the bread and butter normal cruises with the classics handling the unique cruises. Given how good Disney is in selling nostalgia (look at the Dumbo ride) I suspect DCL will be able to avoid the "old" and "lacking modern XX".

In another 10 years the classics are just getting old enough to have mom taking her "little souvenir" and spouse on a cruise in hopes of becoming a grandma on the same ship.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk