Entertainment on Seabourn

SLSD

I think Seabourn needs to explore activities where guests participate rather than just spectate. Look at the popularity of Trivia, it's because guests are actually doing something rather than just watching others do or speak.

Henry :)

Is this a corporate issue? Perhaps your local cruise director could help.

I think it is corporate. Seabourn is careful not to upset customers hence no Karaoke, singing with the band etc.

They do need to be careful so as not to sanitise the experience too much. As the age demographic gets younger, or people aged 50, 60 or 70'enjoyed their formative years in the more modern era expectations change from a cheeky waltz to something more engaging. We've started to see it in the latest shows. Brittany Spears "Toxic" features in one of them !

I envisaged a more open debate involving the whole room covering a few topics in an hour rather than small groups of people sitting at tables. You can do that already in any of the bars or Seabourn Square.

Henry, I really like your idea! Are you in touch with any of the cruise directors?

At the same time, you have to realize how toxic a discussion on anything political (and everything seems to be political these days) becomes very quickly these days--especially in the United States. I do think it would be helpful if more Americans learned what others truly think about what is going on in our country right now. That's ALL I'll say. But I am on board for a large room discussion.

Therein lies the skill of the host. Good humour, a balancing of the arguments, steering the debate away from and indeed towards areas of discussion.

In a large room I'm envisaging people having a microphone to talk into thus ensuring one person at a time speaks. If needed a time constraint on contributions.

I don't know who our CD would be in December on Sojourn.

Currently on the Pacific Hawaii trip on the Sojourn. A Tahitian-based group was on board LA to Tahiti, then Hawaiians since Tahiti. They gave ukulele and hula lessons and othe cultural events and guests participated including uke concerts and dancing. All good fun. Including the Tahitian pig dance, better than karaoke. Sufficient parameters kept things as group rather than any untalented guest claiming a soloist role. (We we’re all pretty untalented).

I think it is corporate. Seabourn is careful not to upset customers hence no Karaoke, singing with the band etc.

They do need to be careful so as not to sanitise the experience too much. As the age demographic gets younger, or people aged 50, 60 or 70'enjoyed their formative years in the more modern era expectations change from a cheeky waltz to something more engaging. We've started to see it in the latest shows. Brittany Spears "Toxic" features in one of them !

I envisaged a more open debate involving the whole room covering a few topics in an hour rather than small groups of people sitting at tables. You can do that already in any of the bars or Seabourn Square.

Currently on the Pacific Hawaii trip on the Sojourn. A Tahitian-based group was on board LA to Tahiti, then Hawaiians since Tahiti. They gave ukulele and hula lessons and othe cultural events and guests participated including uke concerts and dancing. All good fun. Including the Tahitian pig dance, better than karaoke. Sufficient parameters kept things as group rather than any untalented guest claiming a soloist role. (We we’re all pretty untalented).

It sounds like a good time on board jozi. I hope you have a great cruise.

Julie

Henry, I understand that Sophie Tehrani is on board currently as CD and will be for our Feb trip. Not sure if she has a period of leave between now and then (hope so for her sake!).

Great idea about the debates and love the topics! It would certainly need a skilled person to "control" as some are very passionate about various issues. Managed properly it could be educative and highly amusing.

We had the pleasure of sailing with Judy Carmichael onboard the Sojourn last fall. A wonderful, talented entertainer.

We also had a lecturer on board who gave 4 talks on international affairs. Very interesting. I do not go on a cruise to be lectured. But it is a nice way to spend 45 minutes late afternoon (or watching it on TV while getting ready for dinner).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of the lecturers on the Pacific Sojourn hosted an informal discussion (Q and A) on Brexit in the club this morning. I didn’t go (doesn’t meet my vacation goals!) but I heard it was well received and civil.

Henry, I understand that Sophie Tehrani is on board currently as CD and will be for our Feb trip. Not sure if she has a period of leave between now and then (hope so for her sake!).

Great idea about the debates and love the topics! It would certainly need a skilled person to "control" as some are very passionate about various issues. Managed properly it could be educative and highly amusing.

Henry - you should ask E to proof-read for you! I think the young musician in question is BRITNEY Spears.

;p;p

One of the joys of being dyslexic.

I try my best and rely heavily on spell check. It's a strange affliction, you can string together a cohesive sentence but you have no idea how to spell the words making the same mistakes time and time again. When proof reading you miss double typed words as well.

I will often find alternative words if I'm struggling, for instance I was going to use "bizarre" (sp?) in the last sentence but couldn't work out the correct spelling from predictive spelling on my iPad.

The other thing worth mentioning is if we should ever bump into each other I won't remember your name. I will remember what you do for a living, hobbies and interests, any odd facts you told me, how many Pina Coladas you had at lunch but not your name. I wish there was a magic button for that one as it makes networking impossible.

You should have seen my school reports for English :)

One of the joys of being dyslexic.

I try my best and rely heavily on spell check. It's a strange affliction, you can string together a cohesive sentence but you have no idea how to spell the words making the same mistakes time and time again. When proof reading you miss double typed words as well.

I will often find alternative words if I'm struggling, for instance I was going to use "bizarre" (sp?) in the last sentence but couldn't work out the correct spelling from predictive spelling on my iPad.

The other thing worth mentioning is if we should ever bump into each other I won't remember your name. I will remember what you do for a living, hobbies and interests, any odd facts you told me, how many Pina Coladas you had at lunch but not your name. I wish there was a magic button for that one as it makes networking impossible.

You should have seen my school reports for English :)

I think we must be twins. I can relate to all of that. I really hope one day, we meet on a cruise, I think we would get on rather well. By the way, my name is Jocelyn, will you remember? :D

Able-

And I have facial dysrecognition disorder. I can spend three hours talking with you in the afternoon, and although I remember your name and what we talked about, will not recall your face when I see you later. Would be quite a Jack Spratt couple :-)

Thankfully I DO Eventually connect the face and the person.

My partner actually has to watch many movies with me through the beginning, since if, say, a female actor pulls back her hair and changes her blouse, I won’t necessarily recognize that it’s the same person as in the previous scene.

As you can imagine, frequently quite awkward socially. I’ve come to explain it to people so they aren’t offended when I passed him later in the day and don’t respond in a way that socially appropriate to someone with him you had dinner the night before, or that afternoon!

I also struggle with facial recognition. When someone says doesn't she look like her mother I can rarely see any similarity. Were I a child of the modern era I suspect I would have been diagnosed as high functioning autistic

I look at the world through the eyes of an alien. That said I've developed what you might call an act to fit in. It sounds almost patronising in text but it genuinely isn't. I have great friendships and enjoy people's company providing they are people I like :)

It makes selling things rather easy because I've had to observe behaviour carefully I understand why people do things, I know when someone is going to buy something before they do!

The more I meet people the more I recognise them and eventually names sink in. But someone I saw on the TV every day would be a blank.

In terms of names sometimes I quickly run through all the letters in the alphabet to see if that triggers.

It doesn't always work, the number of times I'll go "what's his name, begins with a D, "Roger", "Yeah, that's the one" :)

Ultimately I'm not complaining because where if lack in some areas I excel in others and it makes me who I am. I've also got a good team around me to fill in my gaps who I bring with me on board :)

I doubt for one minute I would remember the name Jocelyn but if you mentioned this thread I would know who you were instantly.

Back on topic another debating subject I thought of the other day:

"Would we be better off with all female governments?"

I would look forward to a debate concerning the advisability of all female governments Henry! You think of great topics. I hope you will work to persuade SB to add discussions/debates to the roster of activities.

Sadly I am but a humble punter with no access to the powers that control such things.

I happen to think that all female politicians who don't have to be a woman in a mans world would solve a lot of our problems. Women generally feel the need to punch each other and their maternal instinct makes going to war counter intuitive.

Of course they would spend half the day trying to park their car but....

I'll get my coat :)