Hotel/Activities when flying into MCO?

DukeBlueDevil

I booked the Hyatt Regency Orlando Airport location for the night before our cruise (arriving at 1pm), then taking Disney transportation to the port the following day. My thoughts were that my toddler twins would enjoy seeing the planes land/take off from this hotel, and the pool.

I'm wondering if I should take advantage of Disney Springs or something while we are there instead? What are the transportation options from the airport to Disney Springs with toddler twins & no car seats (going rogue and not bringing them with us).

Your only options to get to Disney property from MCO when not staying at a Disney hotel is a taxi or a rental car. It will be a 30 minute drive if the traffic is decent.

If I wanted to spend time at WDW, I'd stay at a WDW resort hotel. Then you can take Magical Express (no charge) to the resort hotel and use WDW transportation to Disney Springs or wherever else you want to go on property. You can change your DCL transportation to a departure from your hotel if you are OK with not arriving at port till about 1pm. Alternatively, you can arrange a private towncar/limo to take you to port, do a one way car rental, or take Magical Express back to the airport in the morning and catch a DCL bus from there (as you've already booked this). Frankly, that seems like a lot of work with 2 toddlers, but that's an option. Technically, Magical Express does not offer this as a choice--you have to let them think you are flying home but don't check your bags (take them under the bus with you). A WDW value resort will cost less than a stay at the Hyatt MCO, but the transportation will be more involved.

The downside to DCL transportation from WDW is the timing--there is one departure from each of the resort hotels, and they generally arrive at port between 1 and 2pm. You do have the same luggage service as you would from MCO. But many people like to be on board before the bus transportation from WDW will get them there.

Thank you for the information! I think we will stay put at the airport & hopefully get to the port at a decent time.

That will do it--when you stay at the Hyatt MCO, be sure that your name and room number is placed on their DCL list (this is done at check in). You will also be given a form to give to the CM at the Welcome Center in the morning. The list tells the Hyatt to claim your bags from your hotel room and take them to DCL. The form for DCL tells them to verify that they have received your bags. You can go down to the Welcome Center whenever you are ready to leave the hotel and be assigned to a DCL bus. The first departure is about 9:30, with following departures about every 20 minutes or when the bus fills--whichever happens first. We've found that going to the welcome center when they first open and checking in, then going to breakfast works well. There is nothing to do in the welcome center area but wait and hope you get a chair. I believe they say they open at 9 but really open about 8:30. This is typical of most Disney things--lines, terminal, etc. open when ready which is typically before the stated time.

If you are on the first DCL bus, you will be among the first people in the terminal, but this will not get you onto the ship any sooner. WHen you do your on line check in, you'll select a PAT (port arrival time), which will be tied to your boarding card number. You'll board when your number is called. Prior to that, seeing the terminal for the first time is nice, there are some character appearances, and you can confirm registration on the kids. However, all of these things are easily accomplished on the ship without the lines that are typical in the terminal. Bottom line--if your number is called, board the ship.

There is actually a lot to do at MCO. Many of the food outlets are before the security gates, so you'll have a decent selection of places to eat (we find the Hyatt too pricey for our taste). Same for breakfast if it is not a part of your stay (we got a discounted room rate, but they wanted $15 per person for a buffet breakfast--we figured there would be plenty of food on the ship!) There are many fast food choices and a couple of casual sit downs in the airport. Also, rooms on the airport side of the hotel can pick up the free airport wifi. It may have changed, but a couple years ago the Hyatt was charging for wifi! As you noted, you can swim, watch planes, visit the Disney store (and lots of other stores), walk to your heart's content.......

Thanks so much for the info! One note...when I completed the online check-in, I specifically looked for our port-arrival time, and it said there was not one since I was taking Disney transportation? I'm wondering what our boarding number will be.

Thanks so much for the info! One note...when I completed the online check-in, I specifically looked for our port-arrival time, and it said there was not one since I was taking Disney transportation? I'm wondering what our boarding number will be.

I know you will be admitted into the terminal and the check in line as soon as you arrive on DCL transportation--in fact, the first bus from the airport becomes the first people into the terminal before they open the security check to people who arrived by other means. My guess is that your boarding number will be assigned based on your actual check in time, although I can't verify that. We've been platinum since the status levels were instituted (before PAT system), so I've never worried about how they do the assignments for people on the bus who aren't platinums.

Best guess--you'll get a number based on check in time. What I know for sure--you won't get a horrible, terrible number if you arrive before 11. DCL finds subtle ways to reward people who use their services (and pay for them).

• 3 weeks later...

We stated at the Hyatt MCO in April before the Westbound Panama Canal Cruise on the Wonder in April, we loved the hotel and the convenience it offers, going right from baggage claim to the hotel and checking in, signing up for the Hotel to Port baggage transfer is a godsend, we had dinner at one of the many restaurants in the airport so we never had to leave the property. The next morning we got up and got ready and just before we left to go have breakfast the staff came by to pick up the bags to take to the port. We had a quick meal then went down to the transportation center to get the bus (be SURE you sign up for Disney transfer before the cruise) the bus was quick and easy and we got the port in 50 minutes. Once we got through security we checked in, we waited less than an hour before boarding started and then another 10 minutes for our number to be called. Very easy and there was little or no stress I can't highly recommend going to your cruise this way.

We just came back from a Disney cruise. We went to DW to spend the night. My son and his family spentthe day at the park and my DH and I went to Disney Springs (via Disney transport). We liked that our luggage was handled from the time we got to our home airport until we saw our room at DW. It was also an easy way to get to the ship. My son liked that he didn't have to worry about car seats on the Disney transport. We stayed at the least expensive place (All Star Sports) at DW because it was only one night. It was fine. Our transport to the ship left at 11:45 and we were on the ship before 1.