Anybody had to get emergency medical service while in another country

Unclearnie

Some travel insurance companies will pay upfront; read policies directly.

My DD was bitten by a monkey in South Africa (no, she wasn't holding it). I called our travel insurance about this, but as her visit to the doctor cost only ~$4.50 USD, never completed the claim.

I usually pay using my card that includes travel insurance. I always look up the insurers destination's local phone number to avoid international roaming charges and hassle of finding what to do next. Usually cruise/tour operators are familiar with the local customs and emergency numbers so better to use their expertise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only purchase an annual medical policy, I self insure the trip. I had an 11 day hospital stay in Barcelona with 2 in the ICU. Simple process of calling the insurance, was given the hospital to go to, by time I arrived, only had to show my passport, was admitted, treated and upon discharge- everything covered with no payments.

I always, look at policies carefully and never just "renew". I have high coverage as I travel every month.

• 1 year later...
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 12:42 AM, Keith1010 said:

Yes I was taken off the ship once in Japan while ship was in port for an overnight. Taken by ambulance to a private hospital where I spent several hours undergoing many tests and thankfully and later returned to the ship.

After returning home we submitted the paperwork including original copies of all medical bills (including the ships medical center) and were reimbursed for them a few weeks later.

You pay everything up front.

Keith

Were the costs at the Japanese hospital expensive compared to US hospital costs?  We're on a cruise to Russia and Japan later this year and are evaluating which specific travel insurance to purchase for our trip.

43 minutes ago, rjs412 said:

Were the costs at the Japanese hospital expensive compared to US hospital costs?  We're on a cruise to Russia and Japan later this year and are evaluating which specific travel insurance to purchase for our trip.

My expense in Japan was cheap.

It included an ambulance that took us to a private hospital one hour away, a doctor, every test you can imagine with a total bill of $1,500.00. In the USA it might have been $15,000.00 or more.

Keith

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

My expense in Japan was cheap.

It included an ambulance that took us to a private hospital one hour away, a doctor, every test you can imagine with a total bill of $1,500.00. In the USA it might have been $15,000.00 or more.

Keith

Thanks very much Keith for your prompt reply. This definitely helps to put things in perspective. On another subject, do you get any Cruise Critic perks for reaching 100,000 posts?  Rick

1 hour ago, rjs412 said:

Thanks very much Keith for your prompt reply. This definitely helps to put things in perspective. On another subject, do you get any Cruise Critic perks for reaching 100,000 posts?  Rick

You are very welcome.

I received some type of Cruise Critic logo item.

Keith

On 2/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, Keith1010 said:

You are very welcome.

I received some type of Cruise Critic logo item.

Keith

Heck of an accomplishment!! I'm guessing there aren't many of you at that level.