Puerto Madryn: Peninsula Valdes or Punta Tombo?

Aussie Jo

We're on the Zaandam Round the Cape and Antarctic cruise leaving in a few weeks from San Antonio on 15 December and disembarking in Buenos Aires on 6 January. We've booked shore excursions in Punta Arenas to see the penguins on Magdalena Island, and in Stanley at North Pond. Trying to decide whether to see thousands of penguins at Punta Tombo, or enjoy the scenery and wildlife on Peninsula Valdes. Both excursions seem to involve a long drive of about 1 1/2 hours each way. Does anyone have experience of either one or both of these places to help me make a decision? Have read good reviews of both Forastero and Sentir Patagonia and they both provide tours to these two places.

Thanks for your help.

Josette

If it helps your decision, Punta Tombo is closer to 2 1/2 hours from the port. The

Valdes Peninsula involves just as much driving/riding, but you're stopping at various wildlife sights along the way, so there's much more to see. It's a barren drive to Punta Tombo other than a giant fake dinosaur on the side of the road. And, don't be swayed by the "thousands of penguins" at Punta Tombo. There were supposedly a million there in 2017, but 999,000 of them were obviously hiding when we visited. Still a lot, but it was not nearly as impressive as one might imagine.

If you've already seen penguins in two ports, I would opt for the Valdes

Peninsula out of Puerto Madryn.

• Like 1

If it helps your decision, Punta Tombo is closer to 2 1/2 hours from the port. The

Valdes Peninsula involves just as much driving/riding, but you're stopping at various wildlife sights along the way, so there's much more to see. It's a barren drive to Punta Tombo other than a giant fake dinosaur on the side of the road. And, don't be swayed by the "thousands of penguins" at Punta Tombo. There were supposedly a million there in 2017, but 999,000 of them were obviously hiding when we visited. Still a lot, but it was not nearly as impressive as one might imagine.

If you've already seen penguins in two ports, I would opt for the Valdes

Peninsula out of Puerto Madryn.

Thanks FredZiffle for your comments.

Josette

We went to Punta Tombo on our first SA cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed Punta Tombo; but since we were there in late February, there weren't as many penguins as we were hoping for. There were still a lot to see and they came up close to us. We are going to the Valdez Peninsula when we are on the Zaandam in early January. We are going to Valdez this time. I agree with Fred regarding the drive to Punta Tombo, it is very long and very boring; but if you hadn't seen penguins in other ports, it is worth it, especially in late December.

P_Madryn_IMG_8438.jpg

P_Madryn_IMG_8457.jpg

We went to Punta Tombo on our first SA cruise. We thoroughly enjoyed Punta Tombo; but since we were there in late February, there weren't as many penguins as we were hoping for. There were still a lot to see and they came up close to us. We are going to the Valdez Peninsula when we are on the Zaandam in early January. We are going to Valdez this time. I agree with Fred regarding the drive to Punta Tombo, it is very long and very boring; but if you hadn't seen penguins in other ports, it is worth it, especially in late December.

Thanks Mike for your comments. I'm tending towards the Valdes Peninsula because I'm pretty sure we'll get to see penguins on Magdalena Island. I've booked the ship's speedboat tour because it goes really early, 7am I think, and the local companies trips go later when I understand the wind could be stronger.

May I ask whether you are using a local tour company for the Peninsula, and if so, which one?

Josette

• Like 1

Thanks Mike for your comments. I'm tending towards the Valdes Peninsula because I'm pretty sure we'll get to see penguins on Magdalena Island. I've booked the ship's speedboat tour because it goes really early, 7am I think, and the local companies trips go later when I understand the wind could be stronger.

May I ask whether you are using a local tour company for the Peninsula, and if so, which one?

Josette

We are using Flamenco Tours.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 12/3/2023 at 6:02 AM, Shwarmski said:

Can't comment on the Punta Tombo option but we enjoyed the Valdes Peninsula tour.  Your question made me go back to my FB post to see the photos and remember exactly what we saw.  We took a tour with local company Sentir Patagonia (who knows if it is still operating!).  We stopped at a Interpretation Centre at the entrance to the reserve which included a complete skeleton of a Southern Right Whale and baleen plates available for us to touch and feel.  Our driver kept an eye out for any wildlife along the way and we saw a Patagonian Mara.  We stopped at a penguin rookery and because we were there in Dec/Jan we saw Magellanic penguins and chicks quite close.  It was also the time of year when the elephant seals were moulting so we saw them lying on the beach.  If I recall correctly, I think this is also the area where killer whales can be seen at times, but we didn't see any.  Our final stop was at Punta Piramides where we saw sea lions with young calves.  So lots of wildlife which might be of interest to a 4 yo.  I think the total drive time is less for Valdes Peninsula, which might be a factor to consider, but it was still a long, boring drive.  Hope this helps.  Loved this cruise.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2023 at 11:08 PM, Aussie Jo said:

Can't comment on the Punta Tombo option but we enjoyed the Valdes Peninsula tour.  Your question made me go back to my FB post to see the photos and remember exactly what we saw.  We took a tour with local company Sentir Patagonia (who knows if it is still operating!).  We stopped at a Interpretation Centre at the entrance to the reserve which included a complete skeleton of a Southern Right Whale and baleen plates available for us to touch and feel.  Our driver kept an eye out for any wildlife along the way and we saw a Patagonian Mara.  We stopped at a penguin rookery and because we were there in Dec/Jan we saw Magellanic penguins and chicks quite close.  It was also the time of year when the elephant seals were moulting so we saw them lying on the beach.  If I recall correctly, I think this is also the area where killer whales can be seen at times, but we didn't see any.  Our final stop was at Punta Piramides where we saw sea lions with young calves.  So lots of wildlife which might be of interest to a 4 yo.  I think the total drive time is less for Valdes Peninsula, which might be a factor to consider, but it was still a long, boring drive.  Hope this helps.  Loved this cruise.

I just came across your posting.

We are doing the SA cruise and will stop at this port too and I too have the same issue.  I booked the Punta Tombo because I wasn't sure of what the Peninsula Valdes offer. 

I booked with Sentir Patagonia and they are still in bsuiness.

• 1 month later...

We are going to Punta Tombo on April 16, 2024. I am wondering now after reading different posts if there will be penguins there this late in the season. I don't much like the thought of the long drive there and back and not seeing penguins. Wondering if I should cancel our tour and look for something else.

7 hours ago, nursedj said:

We are going to Punta Tombo on April 16, 2024. I am wondering now after reading different posts if there will be penguins there this late in the season. I don't much like the thought of the long drive there and back and not seeing penguins. Wondering if I should cancel our tour and look for something else.

I assume you are on the Eclipse with us? 🙂  I did a lot of research on this.  I do think the odds are better with Punta Tombo, but I was concerned I was going to spend most of the excursion driving to and from, and then see very few.  We decided to go with Valdes.  For what it is worth, our private tour operator told us we would see penguins at either.  But, from what I can tell, we have a better chance of seeing more variety of wildlife at Valdes and a more scenic trip.  Plus we will stop and eat at an Estanca (sp?) so there is that...

7 hours ago, nursedj said:

This is description of what we are doing

This Protected Natural Area, declared a "Natural Heritage of Humanity", has one of the most fascinating ecosystems in the world: whales, orcas, sea lions, elephant seals, Magellanic penguins, maras, guanacos and choiques live in the same habitat.

56 km from Puerto Madryn we arrive at El Desemeño, the main access to Peninsula Valdés, the first stop will be at the interpretation center and from there to Estancia San Lorenzo located in the north of the Peninsula.

The stay

56 km from Puerto Madryn we arrive at El Desemeño, the main access to Peninsula Valdes, the first stop will be at the interpretation center and from there to Estancia San Lorenzo located in the north of the Peninsula.

Natural and cultural heritage

The coast of San Lorenzo is home to wide beaches as well as cliff areas.

The action of erosion and the passage of time left ancient reef areas of ancient fossils exposed in cliffs and ravines. They are true witnesses of a warm sea that flooded the region 20 million years ago. The existence and way of life can be interpreted through the permanence of animals and stone artifacts characteristic of their culture.

In previous times, between 1917 and 1953, a sea lion oil factory operated on the beach, its ruins can be visited today as part of the historical heritage of the Valdés Peninsula. Along with the Magellanic penguins, San Lorenzo offers the possibility to observe elephant seals, guanacos, rheas, owls and a large number of birds. Eventually, right whales and orcas can be seen.

Conservation

Estancia San Lorenzo has a professional team of park rangers who are responsible for the natural and cultural conservation of the place. Our visitors can interact with them to learn the latest news about the penguin colony.

Services

Back at the Estancia, our guests can visit the interpretation center and the ranch premises where they can taste an exquisite grilled lamb. We also offer other menu options, including a vegetarian menu.

Duration: 8 hours
Includes:

• Vehicle A/C
  • Guide in Spanish
  • Estancia San Lorenzo Visit (Penguin colony)
  • Visit to Punta Norte (Elephant seal watching)
  • Lunch (1 empanada, 1 lamb sandwich, 1 flan)
  • 1 non-alcoholic drink
  •  

12 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

This is description of what we are doing

This Protected Natural Area, declared a "Natural Heritage of Humanity", has one of the most fascinating ecosystems in the world: whales, orcas, sea lions, elephant seals, Magellanic penguins, maras, guanacos and choiques live in the same habitat.

56 km from Puerto Madryn we arrive at El Desemeño, the main access to Peninsula Valdés, the first stop will be at the interpretation center and from there to Estancia San Lorenzo located in the north of the Peninsula.

The stay

56 km from Puerto Madryn we arrive at El Desemeño, the main access to Peninsula Valdes, the first stop will be at the interpretation center and from there to Estancia San Lorenzo located in the north of the Peninsula.

Natural and cultural heritage

The coast of San Lorenzo is home to wide beaches as well as cliff areas.

The action of erosion and the passage of time left ancient reef areas of ancient fossils exposed in cliffs and ravines. They are true witnesses of a warm sea that flooded the region 20 million years ago. The existence and way of life can be interpreted through the permanence of animals and stone artifacts characteristic of their culture.

In previous times, between 1917 and 1953, a sea lion oil factory operated on the beach, its ruins can be visited today as part of the historical heritage of the Valdés Peninsula. Along with the Magellanic penguins, San Lorenzo offers the possibility to observe elephant seals, guanacos, rheas, owls and a large number of birds. Eventually, right whales and orcas can be seen.

Conservation

Estancia San Lorenzo has a professional team of park rangers who are responsible for the natural and cultural conservation of the place. Our visitors can interact with them to learn the latest news about the penguin colony.

Services

Back at the Estancia, our guests can visit the interpretation center and the ranch premises where they can taste an exquisite grilled lamb. We also offer other menu options, including a vegetarian menu.

Duration: 8 hours
Includes:

• Vehicle A/C
  • Guide in Spanish
  • Estancia San Lorenzo Visit (Penguin colony)
  • Visit to Punta Norte (Elephant seal watching)
  • Lunch (1 empanada, 1 lamb sandwich, 1 flan)
  • 1 non-alcoholic drink
  •  

Yes, we are on the Eclipse with you. I really appreciate the information on Valdes. We've decided to change our tour to Valdes. It definitely sounds like a much better tour. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness in sharing your info. We hopefully look forward to meeting you on our cruise & tour.

Best Regards,

Dianne & Kevin

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nursedj said:

Yes, we are on the Eclipse with you. I really appreciate the information on Valdes. We've decided to change our tour to Valdes. It definitely sounds like a much better tour. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness in sharing your info. We hopefully look forward to meeting you on our cruise & tour.

Best Regards,

Dianne & Kevin

May I ask what the name of your tour company & tour is for Valdes?