What to do in Alotau,Papua New Guinea for the day??

This is will be our very first time to Alotau, Papua New Guinea and I was wondering what is there to do there??

When you went there, what did you do when you got there??

Any tips/advise/ideas are very welcome :)

I can only suggest not going to the "Cultural Festival". It's basically some singing and dancing at a Christian Trade School of some sort. It didn't impress at all and better singing and dancing is to be seen on Kiriwina Island.

My wife and I enjoyed the Cultural Festival. They also have people selling local crafts, food and drinks including coconuts. I also enjoyed a ride in a long canoe. There are also military based tours of WW2 battle sites of Milne Bay. Other people went on a glass bottom boat trip into the bay to see the coral reefs, see https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g616352-d7181139-r231288960-Reeftours_Milne_Bay-Alotau_Papua_Region.html.

we walked to the Waterfront Lodge & had a relaxing time, having a few drinks and food, listening to the local band playing, with lovely views of the bay, including seeing the ship. Some took a helicopter flight sightseeing, right there from the lodge.

We walked back to the wharf & took our ship-booked tour of WW2 history. Quite moving to see where it all took place & the conditions our troops battled under.

One day in Alotau wetted our appetite for a further visit to PNG.

We went to the Driftwater Resort, they offered free transport from the wharf. We had a swim and an excellent Crab and Lobster Lunch, they then dropped us back in town. We walked back stopping at a few shops and also at the Waterfront Bar for a few beers.

This was our second time there. The first time back in November 2013 the Cultural Festival was the actual event.

Others like ourselves who had been before felt that when we went in February this year it was something a bit more put on to sell P & O Shore Tours.

I agree with Sinbad you will see cultural activities at the other ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Alatau is within walking distance of the ship. As well as the usual markets there's the local market selling beetle nut and it's additives as well as local and unusual fruit and veg. About 100ms up the hill from the market there are two beautiful bush churches. One has small stained glass windows commemorating Australia's role in the war in the Pacific. Standing by the shore you can watch the war canoes putting on a display and there's an official war memorial near the water too.

The Cultural Festival was interesting but not all that special unless you're interested in the individual dance routines from various regions of PNG. The biggest problem with going to the festival is that you can't get off the bus in town. It's a long hot walk from the ship to town and back, and as others have said there are dance performances to be seen on the smaller islands.

• 2 weeks later...