Chanukah onboard

perlgirlnj

Our upcoming December 11th cruise on Sojourn will cover the entire 8 days & nights of Chanukah. Does anyone know if Seabourn has any kind of celebration (candle lighting, singing, latkes [potato pancakes], etc)? Is it every night or only at the beginning? I know the number of people attending is variable depending on who’s on board and how into it they are, but if anyone’s had past experience, can they share how many people and what it’s like? Also does someone run it or is it self-run? Thanks.

As Ed said, there will be a Rabbi on board to lead nightly candle-lighting and Friday evening services. Candle-lighting will probably be in the Card Room, but we have also had it held in the Observation bar. The daily Herald will list times and locations. Seabourn will make latkes and have kosher wine. We have seen hosted and group tables, and have snagged some of the jelly donuts!

The number of people participating varied from cruise to cruise, but we have had from probably 8 to 2 dozen.

This year, once again, we will be on board (Quest) for all of Hanukkah and will bring a small electric menorah for our suite. Chag Sameach!

Thank you both for your answers. That seems appropriately festive! We'll look forward to it. The only other time we've sailed during Chanukah was a number of years ago when our kids were in high school and we were on either a Royal Caribbean ship or a Celebrity ship, about 2000 passengers. The first night there were probably 75-100 people and lots of singing in addition to candle-lighting, latkes & camaraderie. By the end, I think there were maybe 10 of us (and we're a family of 5)! They still made the same number of latkes and all I can say is, at least my house didn't smell!

I have a fabric menorah wall-hanging. Maybe I'll bring it, although my husband says it's just another thing to pack. I guess he's right but it seems like it would be fun to have. Chag sameach!