Caribbean cruises vs. Hawaii

tbmrt

FYI, PH is not an "organized tour" group. I mentioned Pleasant Holidays because of the savings. Before our trip this year, we were doing our "own homework" on pricing hotel and flights for HI when a friend mentioned savings they had for their trip by booking through Pleasant Holidays and recommended we check them out, so we did. It was a package that included flights, hotel accommodations, and rental cars under one lump sum. My husband spent hours calculating & comparing prices between PH and booking all own our own and booking through PH was a better deal, so that was our choice. PH was only involved with booking hotel/air/rental cars, that was it. The rest was all on our own. What we chose to do was what WE wanted to see and do, based on OUR own "homework", which was several months of research on our part.

Yes, I DID say that "the scenery is similar (mountainous and green)" in reference to St. Lucia. Similar meaning mountainous and green. I can understand/respect differences of opinions, but you could have just as easily stated that YOU didn't "think that St. Lucia is reminiscent (geographically) of any Hawaiian island" and leave it at that. Others have stated that the islands in the Caribbean & Hawaii are "completely different" in disagreement without stating that other posters "need their eyes checked".

Actually, Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays does have group arrangements, including busses etc. And, their package prices (group or individual) certainly can be beat, particularly if you're booking better hotels directly on the hotel website, which for most of the big chains (Marriott, Hilton, etc), guarantee to match (if not beat) any advertised low price and have all sorts of (admittedly sometimes hard to find) discounts. Remember too, that if you purchase accommodations and other travel arrangements from other than the provider (hotel, air, etc), you will almost always lose any loyalty points as well as those aforementioned govt/senior/AAA/et al. discounts.

In addition, know that finding cheap air tix (especially those cheaper than a charter) is not that difficult). Learn to use the various fare codes you can plug into ITA Matrix to identify lowest prices (no tix sales though) on multiple routings including airlines you don't find on regular search engines like Orbitz and Kayak; and use Scott's Cheap Flights to identify flash sales (also no tix sales).

Finally, check UNITED Airlines for coded prices on car rentals (even if you're not flying with them).

Bottom line is that outfits like Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays do offer a bargain way to go. But it's often a bargain only for relatively inexperienced travelers or folks unwilling to do the research (or unknowing about where to find the real bargains (e.g., Jetsetter for hotel flash sales).

BTW, if you don't care for colloquialisms in answering CC posts, don't use them. At the same time, however, recognize that it's rude to tell people that they should get their points across only in ways that suit your idiosyncrasies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

FYI, PH is not an "organized tour" group. I mentioned Pleasant Holidays because of the savings. Before our trip this year, we were doing our "own homework" on pricing hotel and flights for HI when a friend mentioned savings they had for their trip by booking through Pleasant Holidays and recommended we check them out, so we did. It was a package that included flights, hotel accommodations, and rental cars under one lump sum. My husband spent hours calculating & comparing prices between PH and booking all own our own and booking through PH was a better deal, so that was our choice. PH was only involved with booking hotel/air/rental cars, that was it. The rest was all on our own. What we chose to do was what WE wanted to see and do, based on OUR own "homework", which was several months of research on our part.

Yes, I DID say that "the scenery is similar (mountainous and green)" in reference to St. Lucia. Similar meaning mountainous and green. I can understand/respect differences of opinions, but you could have just as easily stated that YOU didn't "think that St. Lucia is reminiscent (geographically) of any Hawaiian island" and leave it at that. Others have stated that the islands in the Caribbean & Hawaii are "completely different" in disagreement without stating that other posters "need their eyes checked".

Totally agree and really appreciate input from pghsteelerfan.

I'm sometimes amazed at the rudeness of some people on the CC boards.

BTW, if you don't care for colloquialisms in answering CC posts, don't use them. At the same time, however, recognize that it's rude to tell people that they should get their points across only in ways that suit your idiosyncrasies.

I came to cruise critic over seven years ago, by accident doing an internet search for a port that we were visiting. MOST people have been very helpful on these boards and we have been able to get the most out of our cruises. I try to do the same by answering posts by others. But your comment was rude and I do not think myself rude for calling you out on it. I call it asserting myself. I could say more but choose not to. The OP posted a question and would like feedback from others and I do not want to get this thread locked due to a childish debate.

I came to cruise critic over seven years ago, by accident doing an internet search for a port that we were visiting. MOST people have been very helpful on these boards and we have been able to get the most out of our cruises. I try to do the same by answering posts by others. But your comment was rude and I do not think myself rude for calling you out on it. I call it asserting myself. I could say more but choose not to. The OP posted a question and would like feedback from others and I do not want to get this thread locked due to a childish debate.

In any case, as I relook at our exchange I realize that I need to apologize to all who viewed it since it appears that you violated a CC policy by mentioning/recommending a travel agency (yes, it is an ASTA member and a "registered seller of travel" in California) and I then repeated it.

On the other hand, I trust that those folks who were/are not familiar with ITA Matrix or other non-sales/non TA websites like Scott's Cheap Flights will explore them in their hunt for ultimate travel bargain resources.

In any case, as I relook at our exchange I realize that I need to apologize to all who viewed it since it appears that you violated a CC policy by mentioning/recommending a travel agency (yes, it is an ASTA member and a "registered seller of travel" in California) and I then repeated it.

On the other hand, I trust that those folks who were/are not familiar with ITA Matrix or other non-sales/non TA websites like Scott's Cheap Flights will explore them in their hunt for ultimate travel bargain resources.

Since you feel I violated a CC policy by mentioning/recommending a travel agency, you have every right to report me, so go right ahead. When I first joined CC, many members have been very helpful and courteous with their replies and suggestions, but lately there has been a lot of negativity on these boards. So if the CC moderators feel the need to ban me for that, then so be it.

The ONLY reason I mentioned this travel agency was in response to the following question in the OP's original inquiry that stated "Interested if those of you who live in FL, love Caribbean cruises and have visited Hawaii think "it's worth the hassle to get there and the extra expense." as information that I thought might be helpful to the OP for something they can look into for price comparison/cost savings.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, I could say more, a lot more, but choose not to, because this is NOT the place.

Do it by land. You need to be there at night and totally get absorbed by it. A cruise can't touch that. You certainly don't need to visit all the islands. Our first three trips were all to Maui before we started branching out. I've never done the 14/15 day west coast return but I've done Pride Of America around the islands and Solstice one way twice. Pick an island (or 2) and focus on that.

I have not read the other posts, but we have done 20 Caribbean cruises, vacationed on four of the Hawaiian islands and cruise Hawaii once. First, Hawaii is a laid back lifestyle that takes more time than a cruise can provide to experience. So I suggest vacation Hawaii before you cruise it. Second, Hawaii is a lot like the Caribbean with all the amenities of the United States like convenience stores, modern hospitals and American laws. Hawaii not only has the best beaches in the world, the state has hundreds of them.

Burt

Whoever suggested that St. Lucia is reminiscent (geographically) of any Hawaiian island needs to have their eyes checked.

That said, do the research for a land vacation, start with Kauai, the Garden Isle (Honolulu on Oahu is like L.A. while its north shore is worth a visit). Skip the Pleasant Holidays tour group and do your own homework/arrangements.

Kind of harsh, don't you think. Maybe forums are not your thing.

As for Oahu, to many people put the island down without really experiencing it. Honolulu takes up two percent of the island. Drive out of the Honolulu city limits and you find yourself in the same plush scenery of any other island. The North Shore beaches (and surf) are like none you will see anywhere else in the world. But the view while driving on the east side of the island is breath taking.

We have no favorite islands because each one has own charm that should be experienced.

Bary

Kind of harsh, don't you think. Maybe forums are not your thing.

As for Oahu, to many people put the island down without really experiencing it. Honolulu takes up two percent of the island. Drive out of the Honolulu city limits and you find yourself in the same plush scenery of any other island. The North Shore beaches (and surf) are like none you will see anywhere else in the world. But the view while driving on the east side of the island is breath taking.

We have no favorite islands because each one has own charm that should be experienced.

Bary

Just ignore him. The troll has been rude to everyone.

I cruised from SF to HI and back. Great time w/family but never again. I'll spend those two weeks on multiple islands. And POA? Please. I'm not flying there to get on a ship.

I'd be perfectly happy if the remaining vacations in my life were all spent on the islands only.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

He said a cruise TO Hawaii, not AROUND Hawaii

Thanks for noting what I actually said which the others did not see. I was very specific about my choice of words. There is a major difference between the meaning of the word "to" and the meaning of the word "at".

DON