Bringing prescription pills on board

KDance

Does anyone know the policy to bring pain killers on board? I was prescribed them today and not entirely sure if I'll use them... but to be safe.. are there any rules with bringing prescribed pain killers on board an RCCL cruise to the Caribbean (Cozumel, Costa Maya). I've heard horror stories of people travelling with medication so wanted to make sure I was fully informed :)

Thank you!

We bring our prescription meds with us without a problem. For you to be sure, you can bring it in its original from the pharmacy. We also bring the pharmacy receipt that indicates patient name and drug facts.

You can also post this on the RCI Cruise board for more response.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since we have no choice but to fly to and from cruise ports, we always keep all medications in their original containers. I also take along the fact sheets that come with the prescriptions.

And I keep all medications in our carry on suitcase. Never pack medications in luggage that you check in at the airport or the cruise terminal.

You will be fine.

While you will get a lot of different opinions something like this I would bring in its original prescription container.

Keith

I'd also recommend this.

Although we bring the rest of prescription pills in daily baggies (we have copies of original labels), we leave the pain meds in original containers.

You are questioning flying, correct? I've never had a cruise line check, question, or even look at our meds.

If you mean OP, it's about bringing pain meds to countries where those types of pills are not allowed, like in Dubai.

If you mean a PP, I'm pretty sure they mean not to put anything like medication in the luggage you leave with the porters. Always have it in a carry on bag on your person.

Does anyone know the policy to bring pain killers on board? I was prescribed them today and not entirely sure if I'll use them... but to be safe.. are there any rules with bringing prescribed pain killers on board an RCCL cruise to the Caribbean (Cozumel, Costa Maya). I've heard horror stories of people travelling with medication so wanted to make sure I was fully informed :)

Thank you!

Take them in the original bottle from the pharmacy. Leave them on the ship in ports. As long as you have a valid prescription you will not have any issues.

If you are bringing a narcotic pain killer, it is wise to be cautious to follow the basic rule (which many of us ignore with non-narcotic drugs). Keep you pills in the original container which should have a label showing your name, physicians name, script #, etc. It is very unlikely that anyone is going to look at your carry-on drugs, but having them in the original container will head off issues if a Customs official does spot the drug.

I will add that we have been traveling internationally (and on far more than 100 cruises) for over fifty years! In all that time we have never had any official question us on our drugs (and we carry enough for a pharmacy). Even when entering Mexico (where we live part of the year) we once had a very thorough search (we got the dreaded red light). The Mexican customs folks have a reputation of being tough (some would say anal)...but when she saw our plastic bags with all of our drugs she just moved on and did not bother looking at individual bottles. One question (for which I do not have the answer) is whether a drug sniffing dog will alert on some prescription drugs. It has not happened to us....but just wonder if something like a legit prescription of Oxy IR (or Contin) would cause an alert.

Hank