Whisper Works Whilst Guests Onboard ?

Perfectionistcruiser

If I was sailing on a ship that was doing substantial work while I was a passenger AND this work impinged on my ability to utilize all areas of the ship or enjoy my time there--I would be asking for a refund of part of my fare. It would be different if the cruise line advertised ahead of time that this work was going to be happening and offered a reduced fare in the first place.

Well, well, well.

I had just completed a comment card voicing my distaste of intrusive art and auctions, plus a brief mention that I regretted that the pool deck work, while necessary, was taking so long to complete, and had it in my hand to go and deliver it when I opened my cabin door only to pluck from the mail slot the letter from the Captain also regretting that the deck work was taking so long and offering $1,000 future credit plus double Venetian days to all guests ($1,500 for suite pax).

Had to tear up the comment card.

PS I hear that the next cruise is a five day charter - dunno what they, whoever they are, will make of the works.

Well, well, well.

I had just completed a comment card voicing my distaste of intrusive art and auctions, plus a brief mention that I regretted that the pool deck work, while necessary, was taking so long to complete, and had it in my hand to go and deliver it when I opened my cabin door only to pluck from the mail slot the letter from the Captain also regretting that the deck work was taking so long and offering $1,000 future credit plus double Venetian days to all guests ($1,500 for suite pax).

This speaks well for Silversea management. The future cruise credit seems reasonable and the double Venetian days is a nice way of recognizing loyal customers. Presumably they have recognized the challenges of doing dry dock-like work while guests are on board and will not have the same disruptions with the ambitious program of interior improvements apparently scheduled for a forthcoming cruise.

I think it's plenty, I haven't actually found the deck works too intrusive, I just thought they were taking a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Were the pool and the Pool Grill (for lunch) open throughout? I believe that you or someone else said that the work did not effect the evening Grill offerings.

It presents as a numbers game.

Over time they have likely created quality statistical models of the cost/risk of large works in service -v- more frequent and comprehensive dry docking.

A known percentage of those affected will strongly seek compensation , others will "ask" their ta about it, ( and be fobbed or placated according to perceived status as a future customer) and many will shrug and move on.

The modelling must tell them that it works..or they would not do it.

The line is no longer an exclusive luxury offering, it is now just a slightly better mousetrap in a sea of mousetraps .

To that end it is now seeking volume in "new" aspirational participants rather than seriously well heeled , well travelled , discerning, and mayhaps more vocal…customers.

tgh, I tend to agree with you. I think every passenger should have been told ahead of time that this was going to happen and given the opportunity to back out of the cruise or accept a greatly discounted fare.

I suspect the majority of the work will be done during port days with most passengers off the ship.

I both understand this and I also don't. If we stay on the ship, and we're a bit 50/50 about getting off on port days depending on anything from when we get up to which side of bed I fall out of when we do, I think it's ok for some minor maintenance to go on but I do get a bit miffed when chunks of the deck are roped off, power sanders come out and you are asked (politely) to move to another place or it's so damnably noisy you have little choice.

I know passengers are a bit of an inconvenience when they don't get off and trudge around <insert port here> in the rain but if they don't, I feel we should be able to enjoy the facilities of the ship with at most minor inconvenience.

This is not a Silversea criticism at all by the way, this has happened on all lines we've sailed at one time or another.

Currently on the Wind. Carpets and furniture are being replaced through the night in various venues. No disruption to passengers so far.

Wait until they want to do your suite one night and ask if you can make yourself disappear for a few hours! :-)

• 2 months later...

We were appalled at the deck refurbishment on silver whisper cruise New York to Barbados which resulted in us being unable to use pool deck due to noise and work. It was awe full. We’ve shown videos of the work to many people including captain of a different ship and all were appalled. This job was for a refit and clearly the company has taken a punt hoping that few will take them on. We’ve cancelled all future cruises with silversea( 3) as it’s a matter of honesty. We can’t trust them not to destroy another holiday. See the video. It will explain things

We were appalled at the deck refurbishment on silver whisper cruise New York to Barbados which resulted in us being unable to use pool deck due to noise and work. It was awe full. We’ve shown videos of the work to many people including captain of a different ship and all were appalled. This job was for a refit and clearly the company has taken a punt hoping that few will take them on. We’ve cancelled all future cruises with silversea( 3) as it’s a matter of honesty. We can’t trust them not to destroy another holiday. See the video. It will explain things

What video? Was there a link that’s not appeared? Could you repost so we can see what you mean? The only maintenance I’ve witnessed while onboard has been sanding and varnishing the banisters, and painting the hull when docked. That wasn’t so bad, but not being able to use the pool is a different matter entirely.

Welcome to Cruise Critic btw.

Edited by les37b

I was on this same cruise and another one on the Whisper a few weeks earlier. On both cruises they were renovating areas of the deck, (under a tent) - it was unsightly and sometimes a bit noisy but I was on the pool deck or the one above every day and enjoyed myself just fine.

It was explained that they had hoped to finish the deck work before the repo to the Caribbean when pax want to lie around the pool (earlier cruises were a northern TA and Canada/New England) but because of the extremely bad weather in October, they had fallen behind schedule.

IMO Breconboy is over-reacting; cancelling all future SS cruises is a shame for him too because he will not be able to enjoy the benefit of the future credit issued to all pax by Captain Rutigliano in compensation for the inconvenience caused by the weather delay. $1,000 $US per cabin pax, $1,500 $US per suite pax (GBP 757 / 1,137) - very generous in the circumstances, I felt.

I was on this same cruise and another one on the Whisper a few weeks earlier. On both cruises they were renovating areas of the deck, (under a tent) - it was unsightly and sometimes a bit noisy but I was on the pool deck or the one above every day and enjoyed myself just fine.

It was explained that they had hoped to finish the deck work before the repo to the Caribbean when pax want to lie around the pool (earlier cruises were a northern TA and Canada/New England) but because of the extremely bad weather in October, they had fallen behind schedule.

IMO Breconboy is over-reacting; cancelling all future SS cruises is a shame for him too because he will not be able to enjoy the benefit of the future credit issued to all pax by Captain Rutigliano in compensation for the inconvenience caused by the weather delay. $1,000 $US per cabin pax, $1,500 $US per suite pax (GBP 757 / 1,137) - very generous in the circumstances, I felt.

Interested in the cabin/suite comment as the Whisper only accommodates guests in suites. Has deck 3 been opened up recently?

I can remember you mentioning this...... was this on top of.... that business to do with art work sales all over the place? I've possibly got my wires crossed or unrelated to that and even more credit? Just rings a bell.

I've been lucky. I've not had anything on board worthy of a moan - we were given a free upgrade from a Vista to a mid ship veranda when we had loud clanks from the ships stabilisation keeping us awake during very rough seas - but that was only a question to the butler "what was it" rather than a moan. The only thing that's ever made me annoyed was cancelling my Spirit cruise for April, but like you found, they took good care from that inconvenience and an end game we're very happy with.

Interested in the cabin/suite comment as the Whisper only accommodates guests in suites. Has deck 3 been opened up recently?

Semantics.

I do know SS chooses to call regular cabins 'suites', and suites 'medallion, silver, owner's etc. suites', but I'm just for an easier life, I was trying to save on the typing.

And I think this might have been the cruise with the art group on board and hideous things on easels all over the place but that was a one off, we didn't get compensation. What would it have been for anyway? The chance to laugh at a pretentious bunch of gullibles with more money than sense?

Edited by jollyjones