So what's the best thing you've eaten on a Holland America cruise?

jeepers13

We were coming from Sydney to Seattle on the Oosterdam. We docked in Honolulu, and the manager of the buffet went down to the fish market when it opened (like dawn??) and bought ALL the lobster they had. It was a surprise for dinner, and they grilled lobsters split lengthwise ALL EVENING, and stayed open until they were all gone. OMG, I was in absolute lobster heaven!

Which ship and are you talking about the MDR or PG?

Soryr my post was ab ou t Veen dam in July and my reference to awful mangement and food in the restaurant, refers to Pinnacle. We thought the MDR very, much better than Pinnacle. We have dined many times in many Pinnacle restaurants and never had such bad experience in any o f them until now.

Soryr my post was ab ou t Veen dam in July and my reference to awful mangement and food in the restaurant, refers to Pinnacle. We thought the MDR very, much better than Pinnacle. We have dined many times in many Pinnacle restaurants and never had such bad experience in any o f them until now.

We have only dined at the PG when we have had the Explore 4. I would not pay to eat there. I agree that the staff are rude, and the food is mediocre. Certainly not worth the extra charge. After dining nightly in the MDR with friendly waiters, who wants to pay to be treated like that.

We have only dined at the PG when we have had the Explore 4. I would not pay to eat there. I agree that the staff are rude, and the food is mediocre. Certainly not worth the extra charge. After dining nightly in the MDR with friendly waiters, who wants to pay to be treated like that.

I tend to agree - while the food is somewhat better in Pinnacle, it is perfectly good in the MDR (as is the service). We prefer to reserve our optional extra-price dining for really superior experiences ashore - and find the specialty restaurants on cruise ships to be needless --- except for NCL - which has brought the downgrading of their MDR to an art form.

Chocolate purse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for the chocolate purse that sadly is no longer on the MDR menus.

It never hurts to ask if it can be made for you and so far I am batting 80% enjoying chocolate purses on my cruises

For example, I mentioned how much I enjoyed chocolate purses to my Assistant Dining Room Manager one evening last November and the next evening he asked me when I would like it to be served. We did not discuss how many servings and two evenings later, my MDR waiter delivered a large tray with five plates of chocolate purses for my dessert course. The Yum Yum guy, with the large tray, followed me to my stateroom. Joanie, just finishing her Room Service dinner, was thrilled and so were several other friends when I delivered chocolate purses that evening.

Two years ago, we had chocolate purses served in the MDR for our Meet & Greet attendees.

The crispy phyllo dough crunches when opened allowing the warm dark chocolate to ooze slowly onto the plate. This low-sugar dessert is both visually appealing and very satisfying to chocolate lovers of all ages.

admin.php?page=nggallery-manage-gallery&mode=edit&gid=61&_wpnonce=6199614106

IMG_1329crop.jpg?i=1751960674

Edited by Crew News

... It never hurts to ask if it can be made for you and so far I am batting 80% enjoying chocolate purses on my cruises

For example, I mentioned how much I enjoyed chocolate purses to my Assistant Dining Room Manager one evening last November and the next evening he asked me when I would like it to be served. We did not discuss how many servings and two evenings later, my MDR waiter delivered a large tray with five plates of chocolate purses for my dessert course. The Yum Yum guy, with the large tray, followed me to my stateroom. Joanie, just finishing her Room Service dinner, was thrilled and so were several other friends when I delivered chocolate purses that evening...

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story - always nice to see Posts that accentuate the positive and give credit where credit is due.

Baked brie appetizer.

On many cruises, it'll be available in the dining room, but not the Lido. If we're planning to eat in the Lido that night, I'll order 2 from room service, eat both of them all by myself, then head to the Lido for the rest of the meal. Yum!

• 1 month later...

I got addicted to the prepared Kale Ceasar Salad at the aft-deck pizza station on our last cruise. Easy, ready to go, always crisp and that salad dressing was sooo good. Just a little of the dressing went a long way too -so it felt "healthy". I am a sucker now for many of the grab and go sandwiches too - I now know my favorites and which bread I like best. Yum