All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Debbie, I haven't run across that blogger. I admit that for all the reading that I do...all the research...I haven't really gotten into any blog in particular. I used to read TVF regularly, but now I just go there if I'm in a mood. I've never actually followed a blog!:confused: I am glad though to see that one, as I'm getting into a creative mood.

Laurie...I've been channeling your laundry energy this week and pushing through all the backlog of laundry from moving etc. Linens and clothing and all sorts of hard to launder items...all done. Yippee! My desk is cleared off and now I have a space to do some sewing.

Mom sent me a dress to hem for her prior to her cruise in a couple weeks. I have some other little projects I want to get done. And I'm trying to figure out if I really want to pursue an idea or not...

I put on the dress Laurie and I both have an it was way too big at the arm holes...like my entire bra side was exposed. The top is also loose, but not in a horrible way...the bottom is still a nice fit (that's the way my weight loss works...top down to a point...then bottom up to a point...and then the middle is the very last to go) except that the dress seems too long now... Anyway...looking at all the grommets, etc., I was thinking what a pain it would be to alter...but then I thought about that idea of when ladies pair a long sleeved shirt under a sleeveless dress!

Do ya'll know what I'm talking about?

I have some cream colored fabric that I think would be well suited to this idea...I'm just trying to think about what kind of shirt I would prefer. Most of the shirts pictured are typical collared button down shirts...which are okay, but not my fav...and also, I'm thinking they seem a bit too, IDK stuffy for a dress with grommets and lacings through the grommets? The dress isn't edgy but it does have a bit of an edge with that detail...

So I'm wondering what kind of neckline would be most compatible and what kind of sleeves...the dress has a scoop neck, so the neck detail could be more than just a typical collar, which I'm not sure I love anyway...

And that would be my first for me project to try. Something that would really be a benefit to me....and help me to be able to continue to wear that dress...after I adjust the hem. Having the shirt underneath will fix the arm hole exposure issue...and help me wear it in the cooler weather.

Any ideas?

And congratulations Debbie! I'm sure the holidays will have plenty of activity that might be less stressful with a freer schedule...do you have any plans in particular in the new year? This is where I'm at...trying to figure out what I'd actually like to DO now that DS is so close to graduating high school.

Anita, I can't recall the specific dress you're talking about, but the look -- long sleeved top under sleeveless dress -- is very common here in the shoulder seasons as a way to stretch one's wardrobe, and also among the more conservative (or modest, in Project Runway speak) religions. I see it all the time at the Jewish weddings we've been to, where we see very fancy designer dresses worn with a simple long sleeve top underneath. Almost like tights for the arms. I think you really have an opportunity to play with the styling of the dress that way... poet shirt, french striped T, contrasting color? Lots of options.

top.jpg.f957a070fd5fd9dfca763b04b382c474.jpg

Debbie! Congratulations! One thing, don’t expect to have more time to do things...time just disappears, but you’re doing things that you want to do. Shopping during the week is such a pleasure, no crowds. I only go out on weekends if our girls want to go. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You know you don’t wear watches much anymore when all of them need batteries! I’ve just been wearing my Fitbit, but that won’t change time zones & really irritates me. Melody

I've had the same Michael Kors watch for years, I just keep replacing the band. This week it finally broke again, so I stapled it together until the new band I ordered arrived. :) I have a super cheap sport watch that I wear to the beach or on excursions, a nice gold one that DH gave me for our 15th anniversary, and my grandma's white gold watch with a scattering of diamonds around the bezel. That's it. My daily watch is like my rings, I just wear the same thing every day.

I've been planning to get a new suitcase, and I found one today at TJ Maxx. It's laid out just how I like it on the inside, but it has two strikes against it. One, it's black. Two, it's a spinner, and I prefer 2 wheels. It beats seeing my clothes all over the carousel in LA though.

OMG you guys, I'm leaving in 10 days and I'm not prepared! Except for our two formals (photos tomorrow), I have no idea what I'm going to pack. I'm hoping to spend all day Wednesday getting clothes and toiletries ready. We spend T day with my inlaws, and then next weekend we'll be closing up the lakehouse, then I have my last work day, then we leave. I don't even have a checklist yet. Shocking, I know! :)

DH's new office faces the Macy's parade route, so for the first time ever I'm not going to watch the parade on TV, we're going to his office. We'll be right at the level of the balloons! I'm so excited!

Hi Margaret,

I got your skirt in the mail. It's so cute!!!! It's a little too big but, I'll see if I can get someone to take it in a bit. The length is great. The colors are nice FIREY colors too.

I'll post a photo soon.

Oh Margaret! Macy’s parade in person at balloon level! What a treat!!! You’ll be packed before you leave & have a great time

We leave on Friday at oh dark early! case is packed except for hanging stuff that gets folded onto the top. I didn’t do a color theme this time so have 3 extra outfits.

We’ll be two nights in Miami (South Beach). Any must sees there? Never been on South Beach before.

Well, I had my last medical test on Thursday (an esophogram or barium swallow). The radiologist asked if I minded medical students observing. Of course not, how else are they going to learn? She had me swallow (this white chalky stuff) & tracked the progress on the screen. She says “Wow!” I do hate it when they do that[emoji849]. She tells the students to gather closer to the screen & watch because they likely won’t see a hiatal hernia this large for years, if ever! Brother! I swallow again & I hear Wow from 8 people. It’s grown from 6cm & is now over 10cm. Guess I’m not looking at laparoscopic surgery any longer [emoji22]. I meet with the surgeon right after we get back on the 13th. Melody

Melody, in South Beach you have to eat at News Cafe. Before they built the berm, you could sit outside and watch the beautiful people on the beach. Or visit the Fontainbleu at mid-beach for the classic 50's/martini vibe and good Italian at Scarpetta. There is a nice boardwalk along the beach for strolling. If you bike, try Citi Bike Miami (you can get a map app for your phone that shows where the racks are). It's fun just to walk around and take in the art deco architecture.

My battery died in my watch and I never replaced it. DS was a baby at the time...so that was about 16 years ago? And I haven't regularly worn a watch since then. I did recently buy a watch...just for looks...and it keeps terrible time, brand new...I only wore it a couple times. It was a very inexpensive Kohl's watch...so nothing to be too upset over.

Margaret...that is so special!! That's a mixed bag...going to work for a such a fun reason, but still...going to work...kwim? Very cool though!

Melody...I am constantly amazed at what you have to deal with. I hope you are able to stay in the moment and enjoy your cruise even with the surgery facing you upon return.

Sally, bargain of the year, I think!

Anita, I have to wear a watch. There are no clocks in our classrooms, and we have to end on time. I find it much easier to check a watch surreptitiously than my clunky phone.

Kim, I'm glad you like the skirt. As I switched to an EARTH palette it just sat in my closet with nothing to go with it. I'm glad it has a new home. :)

The worst thing about going to the office for the parade is that I will be meeting DH's new colleagues for the first time, at 7:00am.:eek: Due to extra security we have to be there really early, and I'll have to look pulled together (not just roll out of bed, ponytail and jeans).

I honestly have pictures of my dresses, I've just been so busy with end-of-school. You've seen both of them before, anyway. I got my accessories together tonight, so I'll try to post tomorrow. I leave in 8 days!!!!

Melody, have a wonderful vacation, and forget all about the medical stuff until you get home. You really deserve this break.

We leave first thing (0600) Friday morning. Suitcases were closed & transported to the garage to await the cab. Les still doesn’t know that we’re traveling first class [emoji6]. Don’t remember if I said anything, but first class from Colorado Springs to Miami & return was $224 (obviously priced wrong, but I grabbed it). Regular coach is sitting at over $1000 right now.

Today is pie baking day. 2 apple, 2 blueberry, 2 cherry, 4 French silk. Oh, and the family favorite, tapioca pudding with crushed pineapple & whipped cream. Almost forgot, 5 lbs of fudge too! That’ll keep me occupied today! Our daughter is hosting Thanksgiving, only 34 this year (but 9 of those 34 are teenagers & college students, they know they get to take leftover pie back to the dorms).

I’m going to attempt to have Les take a picture of me each evening (see how long that lasts!). We do have a photo & wifi (for the first time) package so maybe I’ll even post!

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday & finds that special something at the shops on Black Friday (no shopping for me, ah well, I’d rather cruise). Margaret, have a great time! Melody

Melody, I bet your house smelled reeeeaaallly good today. :)

Here are my two "formal" dresses. You've seen them both before. We're not really going all out, DH will wear a blazer with dark pants and a tie, so I'm reigning in the glitz.The brown dress is going on it's third Princess cruise, and the lace one is the one I wore this summer to the wedding near the beach. I'm wearing my favorite nude platform pumps with both. They're a lot easier to dance in, so I'm giving my knees a break.

formals.jpg

formals.jpg

Edited by MJC
fixing the pics

Here are my accessories. With the brown dress, I have these earrings and I'm giving myself the option of wearing my hair in a bun with this fancy scrunchie wrapped around it. You can't tell from the photo, but it almost exactly matches my hair and gives the effect of a dressier, shapely bun. I'll see how my hair is behaving with the weather before I decide. This is for first formal night.

brown.jpg

With the lace dress, even though I would not wear pearls for a formal evening here, because DH is dressing more casual I'm going to wear my pearls again. They seem to go nicely with the neckline and all my other options are too sparkly, I think. I'm debating whether to wear the pin, too. It can clip to the necklace, or maybe I'll put it in my hair, we'll see.

Pearls.jpg

Edited by MJC
Just getting the hang of the new hosting site. Old dog, new trick. :)

I love seeing your dresses and accessories, Margaret. I have loved your brown sparkly dress for the longest time. Your accessory choices look perfect too.

I keep thinking about what im.going to wear and my cruise isn't until April. [emoji6]

Remember that link to the warm blue lace dress at JCPenney I was admiring? Regular price is $120.00 but it is currently on sale for $69.00. It has me thinking a bit, but I would love to find a shorter formal dress instead.

Margaret, what are you wearing the other nights?

Melody, I made pumpkin pie tonight and the rest will be tomorrow.

You have had so much going on health wise this year. I love that you keep your chin up.

Sally, great deal in that coat! Posts picture when it comes in!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app