QM2 Deck 13 New Cabins

robbie_3

Well we just got our cabin allocation 4 days before sailing and its for the new A2 club cabins which we booked on a guarantee A2 late saver. Anyone with experience of these cabins, they look close to the sun deck and also the gym looks fairly close which will come in useful. Anyone also know if there is a particular club restaurant location for these deck 13 cabins, thanks, as its our first time going club.

I travelled in one of these a few months ago and found it excellent. They are indeed quite a long walk from the restaurant (I found it easiest to walk down a few decks first so that you can then get to the rear set of lfts/elevators without too much travelling between decks). But they are very handy for the Commodore Club. There are two Club restaurants. I was in the one on the Starboard side and I believe that most if not all A2s were there too. But the maitre d' will soon put you right if that turns out to be incorrect. There are usually a few a la carte choices available at dinner and you can probably also ask for crepes suzettes.

The newer Club staterooms have glass doors on the shower, which I've heard is better than the cloth curtain on the original stateroom showers.

In addition, the balcony door slides open as opposed to opening outwards. The overall furnishings of the staterooms and the bathrooms are more elegant than the others, mainly because of the (probably faux) marble.

Our Britannia Club restaurant reservation card did not say which of the two rooms we were assigned. For the first meal I recognised the maître d' in the starboard room so we went there. That was the correct one, as it turned out. Someone told us (this was a year ago) that because the starboard BC restaurant was the new one necessitated by the extra staterooms on Deck 13, that passengers in those staterooms were assigned there. Other people have said that is not the case, so I don't know how it is decided.

The basic menu was the same as in Britannia, but as with the Grills there was an à la carte selection and every night there was a flambé dessert, even if it wasn't on the menu. There has been much discussion on this forum about table assignments because Cunard's information isn't clear. The assignment applies to all three meals, not just dinner. It is single sitting so you can go to breakfast and lunch over a period of an hour and a half and three hours for dinner.

The view from the balconies is impressive, but being so high up and forward you will feel it if the sea gets bumpy. We certainly felt it last year between Halifax and New York.

Thanks all so much for those useful contributions, we now feel happier that we have made the right choice to try club. It seems then that the cabins are some way from the restaurant but nearer other things that we like including the Commodore Club and gym. Thankfully we are very mobile and active which had some bearing in making our choice. Our other curiosity is the Grills and we hope this will also help decide a preference for future cruises.

Edited by robbie_3