New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I book almost every cruise on board to get the on board benefits, then switch it to my agent in return for some discount.

(If he did not give me something extra I would not switch it).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I book almost every cruise on board to get the on board benefits, then switch it to my agent in return for some discount.

I do the same, and since I get 'points' with my TA, it helps. Also, having someone who can call to make changes (while I still book the excursions etc) is a benefit to me.

Woohoo My fist email from the upgrade fairy ever....received yesterday. Responded immed and moved from inside to full OV on upcoming partial Panama Canal ($258 uncharge for cabin). This is our first HA cruise.

Woohoo My fist email from the upgrade fairy ever....received yesterday. Responded immed and moved from inside to full OV on upcoming partial Panama Canal ($258 uncharge for cabin). This is our first HA cruise.

Congrats!

Thanks snow baby.

Zuiderdam next month just the two of us. And there is a jazz group on board

Though we booked a year our we were unable to secure either early or late but had to accept anytime. I was hoping there might be some sort of reservation system on board.

But If this is not the case and we are faced with a 40 minute or so wait please tell me I am not expected to stand on line waiting but they have some sort of beeper (or something). “There’s an app for that”

Losnab, You may make MDR reservations for a specific time early in the day with anytime dining. You can make them up to three days at a time. Just ask at the door. If there is a wait they have beepers, but seldom is there a wait unless you want a table for two. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks snow baby.

Zuiderdam next month just the two of us. And there is a jazz group on board

Though we booked a year our we were unable to secure either early or late but had to accept anytime. I was hoping there might be some sort of reservation system on board.

But If this is not the case and we are faced with a 40 minute or so wait please tell me I am not expected to stand on line waiting but they have some sort of beeper (or something). “There’s an app for that”

You may be able to get into early or late when you bourd. The maitrede is usually set up some where taking requests. We have had to do this on more than one occasion.

Do you have a particular denomination in mind, or are you shopping? I was raised Lutheran and married a Baptist. I would have no hesitation attending a Catholic worship. If you are looking for a particular liturgy, your local parish might be able to direct you to a particular cruise line

My husband (and I, as musician) have been Guest Minister assigned by HAL, for 15 years. We do interdenominational services on sea days and Sundays.

It used to be all cruises 10 days and over, now we are assigned only on the Grand cruises, and selected Holiday cruises. We have been treated with so much respect by the HAL staff, and always given incredible support. Hope to meet some of you along the way!!

My husband (and I, as musician) have been Guest Minister assigned by HAL, for 15 years. We do interdenominational services on sea days and Sundays.

It used to be all cruises 10 days and over, now we are assigned only on the Grand cruises, and selected Holiday cruises. We have been treated with so much respect by the HAL staff, and always given incredible support. Hope to meet some of you along the way!!

It is so appreciated when we have services such as your husband provide and you as a musician on board. It really adds to the cruise experience :D

HAL's call centre is not that different - phone 3 times and whichever answer you get twice must be the correct one :rolleyes:

I'm with you. I've had far more reliable information on these boards and from helpful CC members than from Seattle.

I've had enough examples of contradictory info here versus what I got from HAL. Guess who was right?;):hearteyes:

I've learned a lot over the years from these boards and happily share what I KNOW and what is my experience.:D

Just last week a HAL representative told me on the phone bottled water is not included in the Signature drink package. I am thankful I double-checked that answer here on the CC HAL board where I received the correct answer. It has been a few years since I cruised HAL, so I find the helpful information here invaluable.

Where does one buy a bottle to keep in the cabin? Is there a website that shows prices? Thanks.

The bottles and pricing are available for purchase online when you log into your booking. Someone else can confirm (because I have never bought liquor for my room) but I am pretty sure I have seen them listed in the room service book when onboard. I have also seen bottles in the onboard shops.

Where does one buy a bottle to keep in the cabin? Is there a website that shows prices? Thanks.

Here is a list that I compiled from the HAL website:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Spirits-and-Beer-for-Stateroom.pdf

You can buy bottles in the Shops but cannot claim them until the last full day of the cruise.

Just think that if you took a 6-star cruise line, like Regent, you wouldn’t have to be concerned about beverages, tips, tours, business class air fare, etc. Might save money, not have to sign for everything, wear a lanyard around your neck, and get superb service all the time.

I'd love to know about the formal/elegant nights on board? We're doing a 7-night cruise, so I assume there will be two formal nights? Will these be on sea days or not necessarily? How dressy does the Holland America crowd get? I love dressing up!

Gala Nights, formerly called Formal Nights, are usually on sea days or port days that leave mid-afternoon. With extremely rare exceptions, Gala Nights will never be on the last day, never be on Embarkation Day, never be on late port nights, and not on Le Cirque nights. With the latter, you can predict what nights they will be. Most cruises are repeated season and after season with the same itineraries and the Gala Nights should be the same.

If we knew what cruise you were taking, someone could probably tell you what nights to expect.

Gala Night attire for men is a collared shirt and slacks as a minimum. The level of higher formality is up to you. On seven-night cruises, tuxedos are rare and jackets/ties are predominant. In any case, dress as formal as you wish but do not expect others, including those potentially sharing your MDR table, to be as formally dressed as you choose to be.