Luggage/Baggage Maximum Width For Cruise Scanners/X-ray Machines

N41T

I'm interested in learning the maximum baggage/luggage width a cruise port scanner/X-ray machine can handle. I'm unconcerned about airport scanners (even though they may be the same) due to the fact most people will respond with carry on sizes and individual airline requirements. This is not the question. Depth and length are not an issue here, (within reason, such as a normal roller bag). I understand this subject has been somewhat addressed in previous posts, however the conclusions were not applicable to the question. I look forward to the responses.

Edited by N41T

I usually leave from Galveston via RCCL. The company which provides security is contracted by RCCL, so RCCL would not know the answer to my question. Obviously, the security company will not divulge the brand of scanner, or the dimensions of their hardware.

The scanners in the terminal are usually owned by the Port Authority, who normally contract for the operators. The Port Authority is usually some part of the local government (although often allegedly independent) and pretends to be responsive to the public. It's a simple enough question, it's within the realm of possibility the Port Authority might give you an accurate answer.

I finally found the proper information and copied it directly from Carnival.com.

"Checked baggage service is only available until 2 hours before the ship's published departure time. Guests arriving after this time will be responsible for taking their bags on board.

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked. Oversized luggage and locked luggage may cause delivery delays."

This indicates that the passenger security screeners will accept a width of 24 inches, and a height of 16 inches as well, since the passenger will be responsible for "taking their bags on board".

Hopefully this will work at the Galveston port. I have a cruise coming up in about two weeks and I will try it with my bags. I'll post the results.

I may contact the port director as well. If I get any further information from him, I'll pass it along.

Additional Information.

I spoke with the Port Director at Galveston and he indicates the security service, American Guard Services, is contracted by the cruise line itself, not the port authority.

After speaking with RCCL concerning luggage size issues at cruise terminal number two, in Galveston, he sent me the mail below;

"Thank you for your inquiry on luggage sizes allowed onto the ship. The scanning machines used when screening luggage taken on to the ship is standard industry wide. As you stated you found 24" was noted on a web site. I do not have any exact measurements on our web site, but luggage being loaded onto the ship can be larger than what you might bring on yourself as carry-on. If a suitcase is larger than a scanner, they do have an alternative method of scanning that particular piece."

This in not an exact measurement, but it does provide some guidance as far as passengers tanking their bags onboard themselves, at least from the RCCL perspective.

I'll pass along more information as it becomes available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I did take note of the size of the scanner on my last cruise from Galveston. The scanner appears to be 24 inches wide. My luggage is 21 inches wide and 16 inches deep, I had room to spare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm interested in learning the maximum baggage/luggage width a cruise port scanner/X-ray machine can handle. I'm unconcerned about airport scanners (even though they may be the same) due to the fact most people will respond with carry on sizes and individual airline requirements. This is not the question. Depth and length are not an issue here, (within reason, such as a normal roller bag). I understand this subject has been somewhat addressed in previous posts, however the conclusions were not applicable to the question. I look forward to the responses.
t

I just returned from a cruise leaving NYC terminal. Any bag larger than standard airplane carry on was stopped and sent to be checked. I did see only two people with those long and skinny in width style duffle bags that managed to get through. All the rest were very small carry on size. Cruise was with NCl. Hope that helps.

• 2 months later...

The "port authority" (e.g. rent a cops) try every time to make us check our bags and I have to argue with them every time advising tgem they will fit through the scanners as we go out of that port all of the time ... even though length doesn't matter, but most people identify luggage by this number .. we carry a 25" and 26" and have always had plenty of room going through the scanners ...

With the statement above (have to check 2 hours before departure, otherwise guests will have to carry on) ... then obviously large or larger bags will fit or the bags WILL be hand searched ... no biggie . .. I don't understand why the port authority folks get so worked up and make guests check their bags, unless it's a control thing.

Soooo, above it was stated that the checked bag scanners are different or bigger ... is this really true or are all port authority scanners the same whether they are inside (for carry on) vs outside (checked) ... I'm really thinking these are the same scanners ... if the bags are bigger than 16x24 (laying flat), the alternate screening would be hand searched ... thoughts?