Captain's Voice from the Bridge, Can people be quie for ten minutes??

sail7seas

Does it annoy you?

fFOR YEARS, i have strrained during Lunch in lido to listen to the Captain's Voi ce from tthe Bridge announement but people have no sense of respec for the Captaini, or their fellow guests and cannott sttay quiet or at least lower their screamingg voices for a few minutes so we can listten to what the Captain has to say Do they not know bettter but do not care to bother with courtesy? i ddoubt I am the only one who wants to listen to the Cpttain and cannot. Any suggestions how to 'gently' get hem to let us listen?

I think a good idea would be for the daily announcement to ALSO be video recorded and played back on a loop on a TV channel in stateroom, that way NO interruptions whatsoever and won't miss a thing.

As to public areas, lunch in the lido I do not think you can expect it to go quiet for that duration of time.

I think It would be better adjusting the volume of the PA system and not trying to silence the majority :eek:

It's a long thread but I'm not sure if anyone is saying there should be silence, or thinks that is even a possibility.

Imagining someone else's viewpoint to be extreme wouldn't be new on these boards.

I think a good idea would be for the daily announcement to ALSO be video recorded and played back on a loop on a TV channel in stateroom, that way NO interruptions whatsoever and won't miss a thing.

As to public areas, lunch in the lido I do not think you can expect it to go quiet for that duration of time.

That would be an excellent idea and one that would solve the problem. Just run it on the navigation channel and loop it say every half hour. This way everyone will be happy.

That must be why I don't recall anyone suggesting in this thread that 600+ people stop talking.

;)

My mistake I guess but I equate “be quiet” with “stop talking” and OP specifically did say “be quiet” or stop screaming during the announcements. I’ve really never heard the screaming but I certainly have heard the “noise” of conversations. So whatever.[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In simplest terms:

-- You cannot change the behavior of others, only your own response, and

-- Don't complain about the problem, find a solution.

There's no way I could impose my wishes on everyone dining at the Lido -- even if I wanted to (which I don't). Contemplating ways to do that is an exercise in futility. So if the Captain's message is that important to me, I would find somewhere where I can listen to it in (relative) quiet and then I would dine afterwards. If the captain is one who addresses passengers at 1:00 rather than noon I would adjust my plan accordingly and dine first. One has choices....

You are my kind of person! Amen!!

You can hear the captains announcement in your cabin. It is either the navigation channel or the bow cam channel. Emergency announcements go everywhere including through a speaker in your cabin, and there is no way to suppress it. The call for boat drill is usually piped through your cabin too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Several thoughts on thread topic:

Many posters will remember the "good old days" (LOL), when folks were quiet, either silent or talking in whispers, during the Captain's announcements at lunchtime. Usually this means "sacrificing" conversation for 2 minutes, and basically all eating in the Lido respected it. So - it IS possible or shall I sat WAS. Sadly - that consideration of others seems to have "gone by the wayside" as my grandmother would have said.

Also, where has compromise and consideration of others gone? A number of posters have said in so many words something like "I would never impose my views on others", but this is EXACTLY what the loud talkers are doing doing the announcements. It leaves very few choices for the others. The announcements are usually timed to match the "activity down time" so that folks can have time for lunch.

I know that a wish for compromise (at least talk very quietly) for the few minutes is hopeless and a waste of time - but I do wish people (including cruise passengers, neighbors at home, elected government folks at all levels, etc. would still give compromise a serious try. (Yes I know that this is hopeless wishing.)

Many posters will remember the "good old days" (LOL), when folks were quiet, either silent or talking in whispers, during the Captain's announcements at lunchtime. Usually this means "sacrificing" conversation for 2 minutes, and basically all eating in the Lido respected it. So - it IS possible or shall I sat WAS. Sadly - that consideration of others seems to have "gone by the wayside" as my grandmother would have said.

Also, where has compromise and consideration of others gone? A number of posters have said in so many words something like "I would never impose my views on others", but this is EXACTLY what the loud talkers are doing doing the announcements. It leaves very few choices for the others. The announcements are usually timed to match the "activity down time" so that folks can have time for lunch.

I know that a wish for compromise (at least talk very quietly) for the few minutes is hopeless and a waste of time - but I do wish people (including cruise passengers, neighbors at home, elected government folks at all levels, etc. would still give compromise a serious try. (Yes I know that this is hopeless wishing.)

Wander, Please, keep wishing, it is a nice wish. and yours is a very nice post. Thank you for it.

Totally agree!

Don't think it is "hopeless wishing" though. Sooner or later, common sense will return; I believe in the "cyclic" nature of history. (Or, maybe that is a hopeless belief.)

Totally agree!

Don't think it is "hopeless wishing" though. Sooner or later, common sense will return; I believe in the "cyclic" nature of history. (Or, maybe that is a hopeless belief.)

I agree so much ab out life is cyclical........ hopefully, this phase will pass quickly. :)

Sail, I get that this is important to you, and to others. The only thing I can suggest - because we cannot control or expect fellow pax to quieten down if they don`t feel so inclined - is to take a deep breath and relax. This is your cruise, your vacation. If you know the captain speaks at noon - be somewhere away from the Lido. If at 1 o`clock, eat first and then find a quiet spot so you can listen. Just don't allow it to spoil your day.

The above quoted words from an AA prayer can be very useful for individuals in certain situations. However. being presented as is was here I looked at it as a real "put down" to folks who were expressing their views on a topic. I for one certainly realize I cannot change the behavior of hundreds of people on a ship, nor do I plan to try, but I hope I am still allowed to wish for change. If we limited CC discussion to only topics we as individuals can change - I do believe that over 50% (not a scientific number) of comments on CC would be eliminated. How could we complain about HAL changes we do not like, or pool chair hogs, or the way crew were treated by passengers, etc???????

The above quoted words from an AA prayer can be very useful for individuals in certain situations. However. being presented as is was here I looked at it as a real "put down" to folks who were expressing their views on a topic. I for one certainly realize I cannot change the behavior of hundreds of people on a ship, nor do I plan to try, but I hope I am still allowed to wish for change. If we limited CC discussion to only topics we as individuals can change - I do believe that over 50% (not a scientific number) of comments on CC would be eliminated. How could we complain about HAL changes we do not like, or pool chair hogs, or the way crew were treated by passengers, etc???????

Excellent post. Thank you.

It seems to me it is quite a leap from wishing people show more c ourtesy and respect in Lido when th e Captain is speaking, to equating them with persons with addictions who need a many step program such as AA? ReallY? I've read some strange leaps on this forum but I think this one may take the prize. Anyone w ish to walk that one back?

Edited by sail7seas