Collecting for a Cunard Memory Box

EastCoastLilac

Thank you EastCoastLilac,

photos can be found here:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/albums/72157624111745617

or via the link below,

I hope you like the model.

Amazing, Pepper! What painstaking detail! What a treasure to have, not only for the excellent model of a ship meaningful to you, but because your father made it.

Kudos to him!

Ricki

My travel boxes are filled to overflowing, but here's what I try to save from a cruise:

1. Maybe one menu, otherwise you just end up with one too many.

2. A postcard of the ship.

3. The itinerary page, either printed from the internet, or in the cruise line newsletter, or clipped from a glossy brochure.

4. A cocktail napkin (from the first cruise on that line.) Ditto, a swizzle stick, if they are still using them.

5. Invitations.

6. Note pad from the cabin, and the stationary with our name on it, if it is provided.

7. The first and last cruise daily program.

8. Handouts from the tours on the ship (first time only) galley tour, behind the scenes, etc.

9. Lots of photos! New friends, favorite crew, staff and officers, etc. I always try to take a photo of the cabin before we start living in it, with the cabin number. I especially take a photo of the bathroom and closet space for my reference and to help someone out who is curious about size and storage.

I'm sure I have gathered more...

Hope this helps.

Ricki

My Mum immigrant on the Queen Mary in 1948. She still has her memory box full of menus and alike. The food has changed a lot since then.

I can imagine ! That must be an amazing part of your family history, how lovely that she kept things.

Cunard used to send out Berlitz guides for the particular cruise and during the cruise for each passenger a Rosenthal dish with a map of the itinerary. On one occasion we even received on our return home a ship in a bottle. We still have maps of the Amazon which the Captain on one cruise sent to our son as he had to give a presentation to his class about his cruise. We had left the ship in Manaus and they needed them for the return, but when we arrived home there was a message from the Captain to say they were on their way.

Cunard used to send out Berlitz guides for the particular cruise...

I'd forgotten about them. We still have lots of them filed away somewhere.

...a Rosenthal dish with a map of the itinerary...
and a few of those as well.

When Vistafjord was being converted to Caronia we were told to help ourselves to the big leather information folders from the cabin. They were even giving away brand new ones still in their wrapping if you wanted one. Leather wine list folders, silver NAC cruet sets, if it said Vistafjord or NAC you could have it. Logo items in the shop were mostly $1. I think all our relatives got a Vistafjord watch that year:D.

It was a similar story when Caronia was going to Saga. Anything that said, or had the Cunard logo was going in the skip when we reached Southampton. Having done six cruises in the same cabin over the years, I came home with the cabin number from the corridor wall. It's now mounted on our bedroom door.

And, yes, there are boxes in the attic filled with menus, daily programmes, port info sheets, receipts............

Regards, Colin.

Back in the 1950's my Mother sailed on Cunard and I have her Passenger List. Times have changed from when all passengers were named in a booklet for everyone else to peruse.

I have a couple of those from the 90's and one from 2004. So they didn't disappear as long ago as most people think.

They were really handy if you have a memory like mine for names.

Regards, Colin.

I have a couple of those from the 90's and one from 2004. So they didn't disappear as long ago as most people think.

They were really handy if you have a memory like mine for names.

Regards, Colin.

That's interesting, I did think passenger lists were a thing of history. They are handy for people researching ancestry, seeing lists on who came over on which ship from a century ago.

The Captain's welcome reception is open to everyone but I don't think invitations are generally sent. The World Club parties do have invitations but you don't get one first time round.

They do not collect your cruise card anymore you are free to keep it.

I generally keep everything, I have a slightly overflowing wooden box which needs a serious tidy up !

I don't know why, but we were invited to both reception and party on the first and subsequent crossings, it was a nice surprise.

I kept the cruise cards, too.