American Cruise Lines - Columbia & Snake Rivers

cmpcruise

Hi there. Could anyone speak to the quality of the ACL Columbia and Snake River cruise? I've read mixed reviews so far and am having trouble getting a handle on the quality. We also have two kids, ages 7 and 9, along with a range of adults up through 85. I know there will probably not be other kids on board, but would this cruise be kid-appropriate anyway?

This is a relatively new company.

I have it booked for a trip in a couple months. I'll post a review. We chose this particular trip because it met our needs and they have a elevator. We booked directly with ACL and found them very kind and easy to work with. http://www.americancruiselines.com

As you have young children, I assume that our trip will be completed before you head out for yours. This trip is for my husband's retirement celebration so we are likely on the upper middle range of your travelers.

I would telephone ACL to have info sent out to you.

Some of the old reviews on this trip with the Queen of the West (boat had a slightly different name prior to purchase by ACL) are form a now defunct company that didn't do very well.

Cruise Critic posted some brand new information on American Cruise Lines a few days ago. http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=57

Edited by PennyAgain

We saw one of their ships on the east coast in 2006 ... the passengers were well over 55 so not sure if it would be a good ship for children

The West coast trips I think are new to ACL

cmpcruise,

I´ve done a Columbia river cruise back in 2005 with my then 5yo daughter. It´s been on a different ship (Columbia Queen) and I only saw the Queen of the West passing by back then. We´ve continued our trip on another vessel of the company which owned the Queen of the West back in 2005 (ACL bought it after the next owner went bankrupt).

Sure there is not much entertainment for kids onboard. But it´s doable. You might find some board games and cards but that´s it. But you will be on tours during daytime (most of the time). So there is a lot of action for the kids. Not sure what tours ACL includes but our daughter´s favorite was the Mt. St. Helens tour (although it was a long bus ride). She also liked the visits with the native Americans at Pendleton. We also had a jet boat ride into the Snake river(Hells Canyon) with a BBQ. And a train trip to Mt. Hood with the Mt. Hood Railway. You can read my old review here. But be aware it was a different boat and a different cruise company (not existant anymore). But maybe some of the tours are done by ACL too.

steamboats

steamboats, thanks for that link! A help for us.

We are a settled couple and likely will not do all the tours offered on an pay as you tour basis. That is they are not included on the standard ALC fare. Some tour groups like Smithsonian sell complete tours on Queen of the West that include tips, tours and transfers, but when we put a pencil to it, it was better for us to pay for what we really wan.

Queen of the West basic fare does include wine and beer with lunch and dinner and a cocktail reception as well as all the food a person could possibly want.

The Queen of the West does not use zodiaks as does the Lindblad boat.

The customers of the Queen of the West have been described as a 'Rotary Club meeting'. Not that that is a bad thing, but it is not a party boat.

Many of the ACL passengers say they are weary of overseas travel, long flights etc. We are in that catagory. I hope this will be the first of many trips for us with ACL.

• 4 years later...