In search of perfect small carry-on for women

I am again in the market for a carry-on bag for flights. I am willing to pony up $$ but have been researching what's out there and it seems like many of the best (e.g., highest-rated) bags were designed for MEN who are business travelers.

Here's what I am hoping to find:

-- a small, wheeled bag that will fit over the handle of my 24" suitcase when necessary.

-- will be used mainly for air travel; prefer that it be small enough to fit under the seat if necessary but certainly not larger than the maximum accepted carry-on size for international flights (e.g., SMALL size)

-- don't need lots of pockets or dividers. I am not a businessman and don't travel with a stack of folded dress shirts. I just want a big, usable space to pack at least two days' worth of clothes, one pair of shoes, assorted small electronics (netbook, camera, etc.) and several folders worth of either work files or travel files. And my 3-1-1 bag, of course.

My favorite carry-on for the last 5-6 years has been this Baggallini model.

http://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-Rolling-Tote-Apple-Size/dp/B00L57GIW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434028527&sr=8-1&keywords=Baggallini+wheeled+tote

I have been very happy with it and may just buy another one. The only issue I have with it is that when I piggy-back it on my suitcase handle, the height is just a little too high and it scrapes my knuckles when I grab the suitcase handle. So, something similar but just less than 14.5" in height would be perfect.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

-- a small, wheeled bag that will fit over the handle of my 24" suitcase when necessary.

-- will be used mainly for air travel; prefer that it be small enough to fit under the seat if necessary but certainly not larger than the maximum accepted carry-on size for international flights (e.g., SMALL size)

Any recommendations or thoughts?

There's a big difference between what will fit under the seat and the max carry on size! And a bag that is maximum carry on size likely won't fit over the handles of a 24" suitcase, as it could be almost as big as the suitcase itself, LOL. Not to mention that max carry on size varies as to what airline you are talking about. US airlines tend to have larger allowances than some European airlines, especially the budget European airlines.

Anyway, I don't use a bag like you're talking about but have had good luck finding everything from tote bags to suitcases on ebags.com. The site lets you use assorted parameters to narrow your search, and will give dimensions of bags so you can hopefully find a bag that suits you.

I keep eyeballing this one

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Round-About-Wheeled/dp/B005S8YCBW/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1434030364&sr=1-1&keywords=eagle+creek+rolling+tote

But then I think, 'why do I need two bags going on to the plane with wheels?' If I am carrying on a 22", I'm not going to wheel them both, so I just use my Kipling bag that goes over the handle. If this is going to be your only plane bag though, might as well go a little larger. I like the idea of a rolling cabin tote, I'm just not sure it fits the way I usually travel. And the wheels take up room under the seat.

Edited by sr4mjc

waterbug -- I don't want a large tote. This is mainly for European cruises/land travel. I take a 24-25" suitcase (checked) and a small tote. I need to be able to handle my own luggage for pre- and post-trip travel (sometimes by train).

sr4mjc -- hmm, that Eagle Creek tote does look pretty nice. I have several Eagle Creek pieces already and I really like them. I'm a little concerned, though, that the dimensions seem to be a tad larger than the Baggallini bag. I wonder if that's accurate....

Hold off buying anything new....just read in the paper where they may be changing the size of carry-on rules...gonna make it smaller, so every passenger can fit their bags in the overhead bins. The article said by the end of the year, new carryons will say if they are "airline approved".

Take a look at the IT 11" carry on. It weighs nothing and is more streamlined than the others mentioned. Available at Amazon.

I don't see any 11" wheeled tote by IT on Amazon. Can you provide a link? Looks like most are 22".

Hold off buying anything new....just read in the paper where they may be changing the size of carry-on rules...gonna make it smaller, so every passenger can fit their bags in the overhead bins. The article said by the end of the year, new carryons will say if they are "airline approved".

What I'm looking at is waaay less than current size regulations and would not be a problem with the proposed new ones either.

I didn't see a passthrough strap for holding it on top of another rolling bag, but the ebags version (that they so helpfully advertised abovet the Atlantic one when I went to look at it;)) does show that strap. http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/kalya-rolling-tote/227653?productid=10217028&rlid=DETAIL_AI

I don't have this bag, but the ebags brand bags I've had have been well made and held up fairly well over time.

http://www.amazon.com/Delsey-Quilted-Rolling-UnderSeat-EXCLUSIVE/dp/B00BRK3VUS

I have this one and I LOVE it! Holds a lot....I've actually had a weeks worth of clothing in their for me. It has many compartments...I love the fact that my iPad mini will slide into one of the small compartments where I can get to it easily during a flight. It's very well made.

waterbug -- I don't want a large tote. This is mainly for European cruises/land travel. I take a 24-25" suitcase (checked) and a small tote. I need to be able to handle my own luggage for pre- and post-trip travel (sometimes by train).

I didn't say you did. Just said I've had good luck finding an assortment of bags at ebags.com, ranging from tote bags to full size luggage. :)

Re-read what you read. The IATA is simply PROPOSING a unified set of carry on dimensions. Their proposal has not been adopted and would continue to be voluntary as to whether individual airlines agree to adopt the proposed standards.

Thanks to everyone who posted pics. I may look into some of these. I would like to get a wheeled carryon that can go under the seat. Getting older and having a not so great back, these would be perfect.

http://www.travelsmith.com/travelon-underseater-carry-on-bag/10927

I received this one as a gift. It actually does fit under the seat if needed…I tried it at Southwest. There is a strap on the back which fits over your regular luggage handle and an included other tote bag which also has a strap.

They also make a "spinner" which is new I think.

Happy shopping!

Melissa

The Kalya bag from brags does have a passthrough strap for holding it on another bag. It fits easily under the seat or in the overhead compartment on an airplane.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Edited by bbeltmom

We have this in a hunter green colour and find they hold a lot of things. DH carries his tux, shoes and accessories in his, as well as shaving kit, extra unders, reading material, etc., and you should see what I can load into mine!

http://www.amazon.com/London-Fog-Luggage-Chelsea-Computer/dp/B0074Y2RM4/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1434063208&sr=8-15&keywords=London+Fog+Luggage

It fits under the seat without any difficulty and in a pinch, you can use it as a foot rest on long flights.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Under the seat storage is so dependent on the airline and the plane as well. I was recently on a new AA plane that had the entertainment in the seat backs. Well the under the seat storage on the aisle seat was about 2/3 of what it was in the middle seat due to an entertainment box. None of these bags posted with wheels would have fit there. My bag without wheels I just smooshed in.

Edited by sr4mjc

Under the seat storage is so dependent on the airline and the plane as well. I was recently on a new AA plane that had the entertainment in the seat backs. Well the under the seat storage on the aisle seat was about 2/3 of what it was in the middle seat due to an entertainment box. None of these bags posted with wheels would have fit there. My bag without wheels I just smooshed in.

Very true; I've seen the same thing on some flights.

Since this bag would be (in most cases) my only carry-on, I would generally plan to stow it above the seat anyway. I just like to know that in case the bins are full, I can put it under the seat rather than having to check it.

Trust me, I've found ways to get my current Baggallini bag with wheels under the seat in some tight configurations, usually by putting the handled in first so the wheels stick out a bit. No one has given me a hard time.

The Baggallini wheeled tote isn't too rigid -- some of the models recommended look like they are more so. Another reason why I want to see them in person, if possible.

Well, I looked at a couple of bags but I'm still undecided.... I don't like the ones that are very "square-ish" and structured.

On the other hand, I got an email this morning from Sherpani on their luggage sale and bought a really cute 22" ultra-lightweight carry-on bag. Yes, I know they are considering changes to the carry-on rules, but this bag looks to be on the smaller side. And very lightweight. I'm sure one of the Sherpani totes I already have will fit on top. This would be primarily for US travel (business & other).

It's the Nuage: http://sherpani.com/limited-edition-collection.aspx

Slidergirl, if you're reading this, I blame you for my growing Sherpani collection! :p

Edited by cruisemom42

Well, I looked at a couple of bags but I'm still undecided.... I don't like the ones that are very "square-ish" and structured.

On the other hand, I got an email this morning from Sherpani on their luggage sale and bought a really cute 22" ultra-lightweight carry-on bag. Yes, I know they are considering changes to the carry-on rules, but this bag looks to be on the smaller side. And very lightweight. I'm sure one of the Sherpani totes I already have will fit on top. This would be primarily for US travel (business & other).

It's the Nuage: http://sherpani.com/limited-edition-collection.aspx

Slidergirl, if you're reading this, I blame you for my growing Sherpani collection! :p

Because it has one handle the bag on top might slip around the pole.