Ladies how is this possible? Using carry on only...

Halo19

I over pack. I take pretty much everything but the kitchen sink with me.

We go on 7 night cruises and I told myself I would try for just a carry on this time around (help save a little money.. we are Canadian, and easier to travel with smaller luggage) but then we went and booked a 9 night.

Has anyone done it on a 9 night? Do you wear something twice? 3 times? Are you in a bathing suit during the day? Or what you wear during the day, is that what you wear to dinner also?

My problem is I like to have choices. And I wear one thing out on excursions, then change and dress a little nicer for dinner and then change after dinner to jeans/hoodie because I find the ships so cold!

My boyfriend didn't think I could do it for a 7 night and definitely doesn't think I can for a 9 night. I think he may be right lol

Edited by Halo19

I highly recommend

Dr. T is a doctor, but perhaps more impressively, a master-packer. I used her technique to pack a carry on for a 7 day trip to Italy, in the spring, when I needed a pretty wide range of outfits and shoes. I basically got everything in the bag, and had room to spare. So try this and see if it works for you-

I have done 10 nights in Europe, including hiking gear, from a carry on and school book sized backpack.

Wear your heaviest clothes and shoes to travel in. Bring light weight, crushable clothes. I had 4 black bottoms and one black dress, multiple brightly colored tops that were easily washed and hung to dry. Everything was mix and match. I had a shawl and shrug to dress up my outfits, wore sparkly jewelry for fancy nights. The hardest thing was limiting my footwear to hiking boots, walking shoes and one pair sandals. My DH was super impressed, as I am generally the queen of overpacking.

I can go 2 weeks in a carry on. my travel outfits are mix and match. 3/4 bottoms with about 7-10 tops that go with at least 2 of the bottoms. my chosen skivvies are of a fabric that dries quickly overnight so I can rinse out in the sink using provided goop( the stuff in the shower works great on clothes, certainly better than it does on you)

my 'formal' outfit is either a plain black knit maxi dress which I can 'bling' up with jewelry and a pretty shawl, or an actual knit gown with the bling permanently attached

shoes:

one pair of slip ons for beach, general walking around the ship

one pair of every day sandals for dinner

one pair of dressy shoes for formal nights

oen pair of walking shoes/sneakers which are worn on board.

oh, yeah and I do NOT wear a bathing suit all day, nor do I wear shorts and tee shirts all day. my outfits all transition very easily from day to dinner with a minimum of fuss( change the shoes, add a shawl/pashmina etc)

Last 8 day cruise I took I actually ended up with one top that never got worn at all....

Did a month in Australia, 2 weeks in the Galabagos, will do 9 days in New England soon. - all with carry-on only.

My husband and I don't want to risk checking luggage that could be misdirected or lost. Also, we love the freedom of our growing minimalistic ethos.

I take clothes that do double duty, all organic cotton, that does not smell like polyester when sweaty. I take one pair of running shoes, one pair of flip flops and a pair of black flats for dining room, if we eat there. I mix and match and take just enough for the days of vacation, including just one swimsuit.

I sometimes do 5 minutes of hand laundry with the ship's shampoo and it is clean and dry by the next morning. I have plenty of choices and will wear clothes twice if no odor. I am not a big perspirer so that helps a lot.

I take no electronics as I won't use them. That saves a lot of room in a carry-on. Books I take with me in a small backpack will be read and left on the ship or at a Little Free Library in places visited.

For me, Traveling light (and not just when traveling) is a conscious mindset and a real joy. I think anyone can do it if they truly want to and don't have to habve medical equipment with them, etc.

As someone who is still learning how not to overpack, the key question in my mind is: how many times are you wearing stuff before it is washed?

Unfortunately I am very aware of stuff like restaurant smells on my clothes.

I've gotten the hang of hand-washing things and buying fast-drying fabrics (no laundry facility on NCL, for example), but it does mean I'm spending X amount of time on my "vacation" hand-washing clothes.

Edited by AdoraBelle

I am also a carry on person (longest was a 6 week trip). I never wear clothes more than once (it's a weird quirk). I use the ship laundry service or hand wash. Takes a few minutes of my time.

I have free checked luggage due to status and credit cards, but I don't like being burdened with it.

You can do with a lot less luggage and packing if packed RIGHT with the right type of clothes. Yes you will wear the same clothes more than once, no one will mind or know except your self.

Having said that many cruisers like to DRESS to the nines, NO PROBLEM with that, I guess it is a take back to the earlier years of cruising or like us, only a few places in Florida can a person dress to the NINES and not look out of place. I still like the Evening Chic dress code which can be easily achieved by shopping at TJ MAX or similar places and most of the clothes will look good any where. Heck my wife just bought another simple dresser outfit that is wrinkle free, easy wash, takes up LITTLE room and LOOKs great for the so called "FORMAL NIGHT"

Edited by north29

When DH was with an airline, we traveled (stand-by) all over the world with 1 carryon each. Could not check luggage. No problem. I pair walking shoes, 1 pair dress sandals/shoes and 1 jeans, 1 black slacks, shorts and multiple tops works great. Not trying to impress anyone or win best dressed, just trying to see the world and enjoy life. Make a packing list and determine what you must have and leave the rest at home. We use ship laundry service if traveling for more than 7 nights. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the replies guys! Wasn't sure about washing some things. I always found on Carnivals ships that it would take like 2 days for a bathing suit to dry, so I figured clothes would take alot longer. Def don't have a problem washing a few things!

I'm going to say it's doubtful, if you like having your own toiletries (hair products and lotions). When I go to the beach (or on a cruise), I pack almost nothing in the way of clothes and shoes; mostly my bag is filled with bikinis and 2 or 3 very lightweight cover-ups for the walks in between room and beach.

However, most times I need at least one formal dinner dress and a pair of shoes, which then means I also have to get dressed up, which requires doing hair and make-up, which means I'm packing all my toiletries. My toiletries bag actually takes up more space than everything else I bring, and makes it so I can't do a carry-on (also because I can't usually make do with only 3oz of shampoo, conditioner, lotion or sunscreen...or bug spray, or medicines for in case we catch a stomach bug).

This is why I hate formal night :)

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Thanks for the replies guys! Wasn't sure about washing some things. I always found on Carnivals ships that it would take like 2 days for a bathing suit to dry, so I figured clothes would take alot longer. Def don't have a problem washing a few things!

After you rinse out or wash your bathing suit, roll it in a clean, dry towel to get out all the excess water. That will cut your drying time down a lot.

As someone who is still learning how not to overpack, the key question in my mind is: how many times are you wearing stuff before it is washed?

Unfortunately I am very aware of stuff like restaurant smells on my clothes.

I've gotten the hang of hand-washing things and buying fast-drying fabrics (no laundry facility on NCL, for example), but it does mean I'm spending X amount of time on my "vacation" hand-washing clothes.

On vacation, I will wear the same sun-dress 2, 3 or even 4 times if it isn't all gross and sweaty. I don't really wear my sundresses for the daytime though, so they aren't getting a full days use. Most of the time im wearing a bikini with a cover-up, and the cover-up doesn't have the same standards as a real sundress for me. I don't care if it's wrinkled, or if it's been wet, smells like sea water or chlorine, has been laying in the sand, or is otherwise not laundry-fresh. I never feel like I'm offensive or that I smell bad, but I really don't care if I look dressed up or fancy, or if someone sees me repeat an outfit when I'm on a beach vacation. I still can't pack a carry-on though, because of the toiletries.

Have contributed to several similar threads over the years; I am usually in the minority.

I appreciate all the people who say they travel with carry on only; however, as a person who flies frequently I wish the airlines would enforce their own rules. Anymore so many people carry on a couple of bags (obviously over legal limits), tote bags, backpacks, etc. Flying on small commuter jets usually requires me to gate check my carry on anyway; not the same as having to "full check" but still checked.

Also, cannot handle only having 3 oz. sunscreen, bug spray, etc., and with no car not always possible to buy at destination.

Not suggesting people on this thread are over stuffing overheads, but it does happen. Personally travel with a checked suitcase and no carry on other than a large purse/tote for valuables.

No way could I pack with only a "carry-on"...unless it was a 36 inch suitcase! I have no desire to even try!

Yes..you can wear things more than once. Yes...swimsuits/shorts are the outfit of the day!

BTW, 3oz of sunscreen is only 3 applications...no where NEAR enough for even a 3 day trip!

What I have started to do, is print out a Calendar for that month, if you attend the formal nights, plan your attire for those two nights, rest will be casual. If you will be dining in the main dining, then plan your slacks for the remaining evenings or dress and repeat during the week. for a 7 day cruise, I have a pair of black slacks and then 3 other slacks which I will alternate throughout the cruise and a change of tops. I bring two pair of evening shoes that will go with my evening clothes.If your cruising to colder ports, then I will bring a paif of jeans or different pants for the day.

My Toiletries will be mainly travel size. I plan to take a carry on next July for our 7 day Caribbean with friends.

Last Oct going out of Quebec, I had a carry on and my 25 " We went from 30 degrees back to 80.

No way could I pack with only a "carry-on"...unless it was a 36 inch suitcase! I have no desire to even try!

Yes..you can wear things more than once. Yes...swimsuits/shorts are the outfit of the day!

BTW, 3oz of sunscreen is only 3 applications...no where NEAR enough for even a 3 day trip!

Of course to each their own but I'm with you. I love an excuse to dress up. I need my makeup, lotions, potions and jewelry. I don't like to be practical when I'm on vacation as I must be every day. Of course it helps that all the NY ports are less than an hour away. Now my DH, he could pack in a gym bag! We never quite look like we're going to the same place.

Have contributed to several similar threads over the years; I am usually in the minority.

I appreciate all the people who say they travel with carry on only; however, as a person who flies frequently I wish the airlines would enforce their own rules. Anymore so many people carry on a couple of bags (obviously over legal limits), tote bags, backpacks, etc. Flying on small commuter jets usually requires me to gate check my carry on anyway; not the same as having to "full check" but still checked.

Also, cannot handle only having 3 oz. sunscreen, bug spray, etc., and with no car not always possible to buy at destination.

Not suggesting people on this thread are over stuffing overheads, but it does happen. Personally travel with a checked suitcase and no carry on other than a large purse/tote for valuables.

These are my feelings exactly. I also check my luggage and only carry on a large purse that goes under the seat in front of me. I never put anything in the overhead. I joke that if everyone were like me, the boarding process would be so much smoother. Our airline status allows us free checked luggage but even if we didn't have it, I'd still pay the fee. It's just so much easier to check your luggage. Then you have all the clothes and everything you want for your vacation. I'm in awe of everyone who can stuff everything into a carry-on for a week(s) long vacation. I wouldn't know how to have my favorite toiletries and make-up in 3 oz sizes. That's too much work.

I have to admit that one of my biggest pet-peeves about fellow travelers is all the carry-on luggage on the plane. Even with the constant on-board announcements that you are allowed one piece of luggage in the overhead, people ignore it. I really wish the airlines would enforce it.

I highly recommend

Dr. T is a doctor, but perhaps more impressively, a master-packer. I used her technique to pack a carry on for a 7 day trip to Italy, in the spring, when I needed a pretty wide range of outfits and shoes. I basically got everything in the bag, and had room to spare. So try this and see if it works for you-

I would like to know the size of that rolling carry-on....no way will it fit under the seat....unless she's going first class :cool:

I'm going to try this for my next cruise, but my rolling carry-on looks much smaller than hers and I've had issues in the past trying to get it under the seat, and I know it will be too heavy for me to lift up into the overhead bins. :o

For some reason, my 25" suitcase is half full of "stuff" before I even start putting clothes in :p...so it's the "stuff" that I have to cut out :o

Hi Halo 19

You must remember that although some people have given you great ideas. We are only allowed a 20lb limit for Carry on & up to a certain dimensions plus they weigh it. So we would never be allowed to take everything that the US allows.

Edited by If only

As noted above it can be done and is well worth the effort.

I second many of the suggestions here: I wear my jeans, walking shoes and carry/wear a black sweater that works for day or eve. I pack evening shoes and water shoes. Yes - you can go a week with 3 pair of shoes if they are comfortable! One swim suit - a tankini with swim shorts that count as my second pair of shorts. Add tees and slinky tops and a pair of navy pants and a pair of slinky black pants and that is it for clothes. I obviously wear most things -but not usually the tops - more than once. There are always little pockets of space in the suitcase for socks and underwear. I can usually fit a few "extras" too.

All my liquids are in tiny travel sizes. I also carry my "pharmacy" in a small shaving kit that has all the essential over the counter stuff including bandaids.

My purse is not large and I wear it cross shoulder. I carry a larger bag on the plane and put my purse in it so that counts as my personal item for under the seat. That bag is what I take to any beach excursions. For the plane it has a change of clothes, makeup, glasses etc. My iPad mini (books!) and phone are my only essential electronics and they don't take up any room.

Hi Halo 19

You must remember that although some people have given you great ideas. We are only allowed a 20lb limit for Carry on & up to a certain dimensions plus they weigh it. So we would never be allowed to take everything that the US allows.

Ah, didn't even think of that! Hmm... regular suitcase usually runs me around 43 pounds...

I highly recommend

There is nothing impressive about that video, all that she shows is basic, common sense. There is no way that the rolling carry on she packs fits under any seat on an airplane, including first class. If you are only going to wear a couple of dresses and then leggings and the same tops the rest of the trip, you should be able to fit in a carry on.

All of these "this is how you pack" videos have people wearing the same clothing repeatedly. If that is what people want to do, have at it, but I have no desire to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation just to end up doing hand laundry every night in my cabin.