Vancouver - Sunset Inn & Suites

Has anyone here stayed at this hotel?

I am looking for affordable accommodations for a family of 4 adults for 2 nights prior to a cruise next year, Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, so we are coming in Thursday night and staying until Saturday. We are willing to stay in one room for the two nights. I've looked on travel websites and found availability at Sunset Inn & Suites which looks close to the port but can't find anything on CC about this hotel. Any thoughts? Robson suites is also available. Can anyone compare the 2? Both look like efficiency apartments with kitchens, which is not our preference. We would not use the kitchen, so the savings benefit from having a kitchen is not a factor for us.

Thanks!!

Sorry, I can't give you exactly what you're after as living downtown I never need to stay in hotels, but in terms of location I'd be inclined to favour Sunset over Robson - the latter is on top of several small popular businesses so you'll get more street noise, while the former is still close to restos etc. but a block back from the main street (Davie) in the area. Robson Suites is closer to the park - especially the main entrance/totem poles side - but Sunset is closer to Yaletown and Granville Island and a little closer to Chinatown/Gastown (although if you were planning to use transit, there are more bus services running along Robson than Davie).

I do recall a few folks asking about Sunset before - they're one of very few places that offer free parking so for folks driving into town that's a big plus. Try Searching the phrase "Sunset Inn" with quotation marks and change the default search setting to 'Any Date' and you'll get plenty of hits - there are other folks staying this summer who won't be much use for reviews until after they've left but there are hits from last year, year before etc.

Sorry, I can't give you exactly what you're after as living downtown I never need to stay in hotels, but in terms of location I'd be inclined to favour Sunset over Robson - the latter is on top of several small popular businesses so you'll get more street noise, while the former is still close to restos etc. but a block back from the main street (Davie) in the area. Robson Suites is closer to the park - especially the main entrance/totem poles side - but Sunset is closer to Yaletown and Granville Island and a little closer to Chinatown/Gastown (although if you were planning to use transit, there are more bus services running along Robson than Davie).

I do recall a few folks asking about Sunset before - they're one of very few places that offer free parking so for folks driving into town that's a big plus. Try Searching the phrase "Sunset Inn" with quotation marks and change the default search setting to 'Any Date' and you'll get plenty of hits - there are other folks staying this summer who won't be much use for reviews until after they've left but there are hits from last year, year before etc.

Thanks for your advice about searching. Will try now.

Won't have a car will use transit but also usually just pack comfy shoes and plan on lots of walking!:D

"I am looking for affordable accommodations for a family of 4 adults for 2 nights prior to a cruise next year, Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend so we are coming in Thursday night and staying until Saturday. " According to my calendar that would be May 24-26 2018.

Cheers!

Dennis

Looking at Booking.com for 2 adults for your 2 days in USD.....

• $286 Barclay
  • $355 Days Inn » 3 blocks from cruise terminal. Check review for potential concerns.
  • $422 Sunset » what you have suggested
  • $593 Auberge » 3 blocks from the cruise terminal
  • $656 Delta
  • $709 Bayshore
  • $815 Hyatt Regency
  • $1103 Fairmont Waterfront
  • $1224 Fairmont Pacific Rim

I think we are too early as hotels may not have their 2018 rates set yet. One other place to check is the YWCA in the coming months.

• 2 weeks later...

If I can pick your brain...We will get off of the cruise and spend the day the night and leave the next day...where would you tell us to go and enjoy the day since we only have the one...We have decided to stay in Vancouver area and not head to Victoria...what is the one thing or two that you would say go do this...we will be there in Sept. 2018..thank you in advance.

If I can pick your brain...We will get off of the cruise and spend the day the night and leave the next day...where would you tell us to go and enjoy the day since we only have the one...We have decided to stay in Vancouver area and not head to Victoria...what is the one thing or two that you would say go do this...we will be there in Sept. 2018..thank you in advance.

Honestly I'd tell you to either give me more info about you & yours - things you (dis)like to do, any mobility issues, and a ballpark budget for tours/sightseeing options - or point you to Tripadvisor which is great for ranking Things To Do as voted on by Joe Q Public. With only a day prioritization is an absolute requirement, and what I think is the best thing to do may be wildly different than what you would actually enjoy most!

A very short list of Stuff You Can Do here that is unique or at least very hard to do anywhere else:

• Parks & gardens - Stanley Park regularly ranks as the best urban park on the planet, with several specialized gardens within it; Dr Sun Yat-Sen Chinese garden is the best example of it's type anywhere outside Suzhou; Queen Elizabeth Park has the best views in the city, a couple of quarry gardens for a free Butchart-esque experience, an arboretum and a tropical conservatory chock full of exotic birds; the Seawall is not just a tidal/storm defense here, but a park in its own right with miles upon miles of walking/cycling and great views along pretty much the entire thing.
  • Museums & galleries - we've got dedicated Maritime, Police, Biodiversity, Anthropological, Mineral, and Space museums as well as more general regional/local ones, plus First Nations/modern/more general art galleries. Depending what you have access to at home and on your other travels, any or all of these could be a new experience for you.
  • More Outdoorsy Nature Stuff - plenty of free hiking & biking routes, two very close suspension bridges (Capilano is pricey as heck but has a free shuttle from downtown; Lynn Canyon is much less developed, has educational Ranger programs, and is free but is a hassle to get to without a car)
  • Food/drink - if you're all 'food is fuel' people then your dollar will go very far at fastfood spots, but if food & drink is part of a vacation for you then we are possibly the single best non-Asian city for Asian food you could visit. Izakayas - Japanese 'tapas pubs' - for example are plentiful here and very rare on the rest of the continent, and given the huge number of Chinese immigrants you can track down some pretty obscure regional cuisine as well as the more common Cantonese/Szechuan. We have an actual First Nations resto in the city - almost none of them anywhere else - that's well worth trying if you enjoy game meat & fish. The locavore food movement is also huge here, as is good seafood. Really the only stuff I really enjoy when done well and cannot find a genuinely great version of locally is BBQ and I'm sure as a Floridian you have easy access to that at home! Craft beer is big - we're at the point where so many new breweries have opened that some of them are distinctly Meh, there aren't enough good brewmasters available - and the local cocktail scene is also very strong, with many bars making their own bitters/shrubs. While technically there are some wineries in the Lower Mainland (the urban areas in and close to Vancouver) the best grape growing areas are up around Kelowna - so do try drinking BC Wines, but I wouldn't recommend vineyard tours as good value for time or money on such a short stay.

Hopefully that screed shows I'm trying to ensure you get the best use of your time rather than just blowing you off with my request for more info if you want targeted advice!

Honestly I'd tell you to either give me more info about you & yours - things you (dis)like to do, any mobility issues, and a ballpark budget for tours/sightseeing options - or point you to Tripadvisor which is great for ranking Things To Do as voted on by Joe Q Public. With only a day prioritization is an absolute requirement, and what I think is the best thing to do may be wildly different than what you would actually enjoy most!

A very short list of Stuff You Can Do here that is unique or at least very hard to do anywhere else:

• Parks & gardens - Stanley Park regularly ranks as the best urban park on the planet, with several specialized gardens within it; Dr Sun Yat-Sen Chinese garden is the best example of it's type anywhere outside Suzhou; Queen Elizabeth Park has the best views in the city, a couple of quarry gardens for a free Butchart-esque experience, an arboretum and a tropical conservatory chock full of exotic birds; the Seawall is not just a tidal/storm defense here, but a park in its own right with miles upon miles of walking/cycling and great views along pretty much the entire thing.
  • Museums & galleries - we've got dedicated Maritime, Police, Biodiversity, Anthropological, Mineral, and Space museums as well as more general regional/local ones, plus First Nations/modern/more general art galleries. Depending what you have access to at home and on your other travels, any or all of these could be a new experience for you.
  • More Outdoorsy Nature Stuff - plenty of free hiking & biking routes, two very close suspension bridges (Capilano is pricey as heck but has a free shuttle from downtown; Lynn Canyon is much less developed, has educational Ranger programs, and is free but is a hassle to get to without a car)
  • Food/drink - if you're all 'food is fuel' people then your dollar will go very far at fastfood spots, but if food & drink is part of a vacation for you then we are possibly the single best non-Asian city for Asian food you could visit. Izakayas - Japanese 'tapas pubs' - for example are plentiful here and very rare on the rest of the continent, and given the huge number of Chinese immigrants you can track down some pretty obscure regional cuisine as well as the more common Cantonese/Szechuan. We have an actual First Nations resto in the city - almost none of them anywhere else - that's well worth trying if you enjoy game meat & fish. The locavore food movement is also huge here, as is good seafood. Really the only stuff I really enjoy when done well and cannot find a genuinely great version of locally is BBQ and I'm sure as a Floridian you have easy access to that at home! Craft beer is big - we're at the point where so many new breweries have opened that some of them are distinctly Meh, there aren't enough good brewmasters available - and the local cocktail scene is also very strong, with many bars making their own bitters/shrubs. While technically there are some wineries in the Lower Mainland (the urban areas in and close to Vancouver) the best grape growing areas are up around Kelowna - so do try drinking BC Wines, but I wouldn't recommend vineyard tours as good value for time or money on such a short stay.

Hopefully that screed shows I'm trying to ensure you get the best use of your time rather than just blowing you off with my request for more info if you want targeted advice!

Thank you...We are 63 and run Marathons...and we are from KC and go back Often and so we will stay away from the BBQ...LOL...you were a huge help We will not have a car so we will head to the suspension bridge...thank you.

• 4 months later...

We stayed at the Sunset Inn And Suites few years ago before cruise. it was very nice comfortable we had a little one bedroom kitchenette. they served continental breakfast in the morning. it's very close to Granville Island and you could walk down to the water and catch the boat over. A block of from hip section of stores and restaurants. you would need a cab to get to the cruise port

Sent from my iPad using Forums