Paying off the balance - travel agents have changed the amounts

jessicat

I called my TA to pay the balance of the cabin and was told that a new balance had been applied, bringing our total down by £386. I confirmed that this was correct and paid it off in full. I've now been invoiced for the £386. My question is, as they confirmed the new amount before I paid it, do they have to honour it? Or can they revert back to the original amount anyway?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suppose it all depends on the paperwork that you have, if you have it in writing that the full amount is paid for then I would be questioning an extra. If you don't, then the original price is what you will need to pay.

I suppose it all depends on the paperwork that you have, if you have it in writing that the full amount is paid for then I would be questioning an extra. If you don't, then the original price is what you will need to pay.

We got an email confirming that the final payment has been applied and the balance is clear.

We got an email confirming that the final payment has been applied and the balance is clear.

At the outset you contracted to pay at a price that was £386 higher than you've paid, and now you've been invoiced for that £386.

Clearly someone screwed-up regarding the "final balance" (perhaps they overlooked an item?) but I'm pretty certain that the original contract price is the one you're obliged to pay - especially since you don't mention any reason why the total demanded went down.

Worth querying, but I suspect the best you can expect is a complicated and mumbled apology for the misleading balance that you'd been quoted.

JB :)

(barrack-room lawyer ;))

Who knows what the legal niceties are here. £386 won't pay for much legal advice.

It seems a mistake was made and that has been corrected. I would pay the extra as we all make mistakes and you want to keep the cruise booking. Particularly if this was a company who has treated you fairly in the past. Ryan Air or Parking Eye might be a different approach.

I would expect a meaningful apology. A little gesture from the company would be nice. I find a bottle of wine helps smooth thing over.

Best wishes, Stephen.