San Juan Hotel

sprout76

Does Sea Dream dock in Old San Juan or is there another dock that they use? I'm looking at hotels for our trip in February. I was initially looking at St Regis, but that seems to be too far away for just a pre-night stay. I can get a pretty decent military rate with the Ritz Carlton, but I also have a bunch of Hilton points. Just curious if anyone can suggest a good area to focus on. We've been to San Juan on two previous cruises, but they've always been stops, we've never embarked/disembarked there.

Thanks for any info you may have.

We stayed once at the Sheraton. Location is great - hotel is so-so. Small elevator that seemed to take forever, especially when people were just getting off of a mega-ship. And if you have more than two rolling bags, you may still want to take a taxi to the cruise terminal across the street. I've seen some people from SD recommending the Hotel El Convento in the old city. It gets pretty good reviews. You might want to check it out. Last time in SJ we stayed at the Hilton in Condado, probably on points. It was nicer than the Caribe and has a very nice restaurant, the one that used to be in the art museum. Condado has a number of acceptable restaurants within walking distance, but if you want to go to the old city you will want to taxi.

We stayed once at the Sheraton. Location is great - hotel is so-so. Small elevator that seemed to take forever, especially when people were just getting off of a mega-ship. And if you have more than two rolling bags, you may still want to take a taxi to the cruise terminal across the street. I've seen some people from SD recommending the Hotel El Convento in the old city. It gets pretty good reviews. You might want to check it out. Last time in SJ we stayed at the Hilton in Condado, probably on points. It was nicer than the Caribe and has a very nice restaurant, the one that used to be in the art museum. Condado has a number of acceptable restaurants within walking distance, but if you want to go to the old city you will want to taxi.

Thanks everyone for the information! Very helpful. I was a little put off by the Caribe, so good to know my thoughts were correct on this one.

The Sheraton Old San Juan is a 3 minute walk to the Sea Dream terminal. Plus you walk right by a CVS Pharmacy so you can grab last minute items. We have run into several crew members in the CVS prior to boarding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always stay at Sheraton as well. Hotel itself is nothing to rave about but location is perfect.

We have a ritual. We unpack and then walk up the hill to the Toro Salao restuarant and have a toast with their white sangria while enjoying the patio. Been doing it for years and vacation truly begins once we have done that ;-)

Thanks everyone for the information! Very helpful. I was a little put off by the Caribe, so good to know my thoughts were correct on this one.

The Caribe has lovely public spaces - the beach, ocean with swim up bar, the pool - all are great. The guest rooms, however, are 1950 era Holiday Inn style rooms. I found the Condado public spaces to be somewhat shabby but the rooms were better. We've yet to find anything in SJ which isn't a compromise.

We always stay at Sheraton as well. Hotel itself is nothing to rave about but location is perfect.

We have a ritual. We unpack and then walk up the hill to the Toro Salao restuarant and have a toast with their white sangria while enjoying the patio. Been doing it for years and vacation truly begins once we have done that ;-)

Funny thing... we also do the same.. We always arrive two days before departure, stay at the Sheraton in Old San Juan and then Toro Salao.... Patio Seating... People watching.. and their sliders... And we will be there next spring prior to the eastbound TA.

And always have dinner at Carlo's on night 1 and Marmalade on night 2.