Stylish people please help!!!

sprint180

I am 47, 5'1" tall and weigh about 180 lbs. Larger chest and belly. Can someone tell me what kind of dress would look ok with this frame? I need to order offline so trying on isn't going to happen. Not soon anyway. I was thinking a wrap dress, am I wrong about this or is a wrap dress for skinny people.

I would suggest a dress with an empire waistline. This is the one with the band just under the boobs. The skirt is loose over the tummy and can be flattering for all sizes I will see if I can find a picture.

You may have to take the hem up as I find they make dresses for Amazon women 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I would probably avoid a wrap dress. They tend to gap open in the bust area and/or around the thighs, on all but the slimmest of figures.

I'd look for a "fit and flare" style, which has a fitted or semi-fitted waist and then flares out below into an A-line or semi A-line skirt silhouette. One with a higher waist line, or an empire waist line as someone mentioned, might be best. The "flare" part will avoid a snug fitted dress over parts that might not be flattered by a snug fit, while the "fit" part still gives it some shape and structure that you won't find in an A-line dress that has no waist line at all.

I would also go with a 'fit and flare' as opposed to an empire waistline or wrap (although you may be able to find something that works). I think empire waist dresses can look extremely unflattering on people with larger bustlines (but again, depends on the dress, the person etc).

I personally love wrap dresses and don't have a problem with gaping...I have a 34DD bustline but a small waist, so they're pretty easy to wear for me. I normally can't do an empire waist dress - they just look like maternity frocks on me. Just my experience though!

You may just need to order a bunch of different styles and see what works - try to find a retailer with free returns :).

How formal of a dress are you looking for? Banana Republic has a lot of dresses on sale right now (free returns by mail) and they always have great sales. Their dresses are typically business casual/date night/cocktail style dresses.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=1014739&sop=true

Are you Pear or Apple shaped? Makes a difference. What neckline? V neck is usually flattering.

Hopefully you'll be buying several different styles to choose from.

Wrap dresses are the most figure flattering but they can gap. Faux wrap dresses won't untie ;). Also look at A Line (skater, fit and flare ) dresses. These will give you an illusion of a waist.

http://www.citychiconline.com/product-124559BLACK-pretty-bow-fit-flare-dress

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm 48 and not thin. I wore a basic black sleeveless dress every night with a variety of tops, mostly long. The two layer look was good and this saved room in my luggage. I hate the tight girdle style underwear, so I prefer layers, the outer one looser.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

You might also check out Steinmart. I stopped by there Monday and they had a ton of dresses on sale. I picked up this one for our December cruise. The price on another website was $178. I paid $40 Monday.

As far as style, I'm a big fan of the sheath dress right now. I find if it fits in the bust it will pretty much skim the rest of me and no girdle kinds of undergarments necessary.

4130295950006_001_b?$a15-pdp-detail-shot$&hei=900&fit=constrain

Spaghetti strap is not traditionally a friend to the large of bust ;-) (it's nigh impossible to find a good strapless bra...)

I have an hourglass figure (extra "time") and find a knit sheath or a slight flare/a-line to work with my figure. With my large bust, empire waist rarely works - the line ends up midway through my boobs and I look pregnant as the dress or shirt flares at the boobs and never comes back in to my waist. For work, I have a couple knit Misook, St. John & Semplice. Pack great, throw on a cardigan or jacket, flexible if I gain or lose a few pounds ;-) I also have a few Eileen Fisher dresses (mostly a-line or shift) that I love. With my boobs, I tend to wear knits- easier to fit.

Spaghetti strap is not traditionally a friend to the large of bust ;-) (it's nigh impossible to find a good strapless bra...)

I have an hourglass figure (extra "time") and find a knit sheath or a slight flare/a-line to work with my figure. With my large bust, empire waist rarely works - the line ends up midway through my boobs and I look pregnant as the dress or shirt flares at the boobs and never comes back in to my waist. For work, I have a couple knit Misook, St. John & Semplice. Pack great, throw on a cardigan or jacket, flexible if I gain or lose a few pounds ;-) I also have a few Eileen Fisher dresses (mostly a-line or shift) that I love. With my boobs, I tend to wear knits- easier to fit.

I'm a 36D -- not sure where that falls in the "large bust" range. I'm 56 but never had kids so the "girls" still hold up fairly well. ;) This dress has a built in shelf bra that will be fine for me. I did get a very good and comfortable strapless bra at Soma before our last cruise. I wore it all day and evening on several days and it never budged!

Hey there! Check out "Jessica Simpson Halter Dresses" on Amazon. I have several - love the ones with metallic chain or jeweled neck. There is also a blouson fit that sounds great for you! They pack easily and look expensive - but quite reasonable. They highlight your shoulders and forgive the rest;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

have you heard of a Carly dress from Lularoe? They are very flattering to what it sounds like might be your body shape. Here is a picture. They are available from discount sites like Poshmark or Mercari or direct from a distributor as well... they run big so if you are usually a size Large you may wear a small. I am a size 8 and I wear a XS.

LulaRoe%2BCarly%2BDress%2BLulaRoe%2BJane%2B%252818%2Bof%2B22%2529.jpg

I am a larger size and love wrap dresses, they create a waist and give the hour glass figure. Also check out Ralph Lauren dresses, several at great sale prices on Amazon, alot of knits with rouching across the belly that is very forgiving. Also the knits are great to pack and if you are between sizes from top to bottom. I also veto the empire waist as I think it makes a top heavy gal look larger and the gathering adds to the round silhouette. (but with everything there are exceptions.)