Entertainment on Seabourn

SLSD

Could we have a discussion on the merits of the entertainment aboard Seabourn cruises?

Some years ago, we took a Silversea cruise and I remember being truly appalled at the quality of the entertainment.

So--on our recent Seabourn cruise (Encore) I had very low expectations. In fact our expectations were SO low that we didn't even attend the evening show for the first couple of nights.

When we finally did attend, we were pleasantly surprised to find that even a somewhat hokey English comedian (with a great singing voice) was enjoyable. But, beyond that, we heard a fabulous classical piano concert, a memorable one woman show by the assistant cruise director, a roundly appreciated musical program by Seabourn singers/dancerts, and some enjoyable guest lecturers. There were programs that we regrettably missed.

So--my question is this: What has been YOUR experience with entertainment aboard Seabourn ships? (And would you kindly describe the entertainment and which ship you were on). Also, have you sailed Silversea and can you offer a ocmparison?

Finally, is shipboard stage entertainment important to you?

I apply the stand or sit at the back method.

If the entertainment is good then I stay,if it is bad then I creep out quietly and not offend the act.

I am a bit spoilt by living in London and having access to the best theatre,opera and concerts anywhere in the World.

I do not go on any ship for the entertainment,or funnily enough for the itinerary,I go because I just love being at sea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nor do we sail for entertainment. Which is why we didn't even bother with it for several days. We were pleasantly surprised it was a good as it was. So, I am interested in what others have seen/heard.

I'm not a big fan of musicals, classical music or opera. We came to Seabourn from Royal Caribbean where a combination of ship size and number of passengers mean entertainment is on par with top land based venues.

So we weren't holding out much hope. But I always give things a try and I'm glad I did. I think Seabourn pitch things at just the right scale. Large enough to put on a show, small enough to be intimate. We also enjoy the interaction between guests and performers.

On our last cruise aboard Encore we previewed the latest round of shows and felt the bar had been raised a rung higher. I particularly liked the move away from solely relying on hits from the musicals. Bizzarely I realy enjoyed the evening with Sir Tim Rice, good use of technology.

There is a good blend of guest entertainment - I even gave an impromptu talk on how to make better holiday videos one cruise !!!

The one thing I do think might work and I haven't seen it yet is a debating / discussion group. Pre-determined topics, a host to start things off and balance things out where necessary then free debate amongst guests. I would envisage several sessions per voyage.

Henry :)

Could we have a discussion on the merits of the entertainment aboard Seabourn cruises?

Some years ago, we took a Silversea cruise and I remember being truly appalled at the quality of the entertainment.

So--my question is this: What has been YOUR experience with entertainment aboard Seabourn ships? (And would you kindly describe the entertainment and which ship you were on). Also, have you sailed Silversea and can you offer a ocmparison?

Finally, is shipboard stage entertainment important to you?

I have sailed Seabourn, but have mostly sailed Silversea. SS entertainment mostly consists of the Silversea Voices, a group of singers that can be very good, but that tend to offer repetitive programs. Of course, there are no dancers nor comedians in most cruises. The singers, however, interact with the passengers in many ways and one gets to know them as persons and like them very much. However...how many times am I supposed to sit through the London based music program "Mind the Gap"? I think I've "enjoyed" it at least five times. The three cruises I had on Seabourn had more varied entertainment.

We just completed an 18 day cruise on the Odyssey. We were really surprised and pleased with the entertainment. The "guest" entertainers were good and what really surprised us the most were the onboard singers and dancers.

A lot of interaction with the guests by the singers and dancers was enjoyed by all.

The Club featured a trio from a South Africa that played great dance and listening music. The observation lounge featured a piano player that kept the mood just right and interacted with the passengers.

Overall, I would say the entertainment was just right and made the cruise!

Thank you Tripacian for mentioning other entertainers aside from those on stage. On the Encore (September/Early October 2017), we especially enjoyed Suzanne Jade in the Thomas Keller Bar. She is a singer/pianist who is quite accomplished. We also enjoyed a duo in the Obersvation Bar whose names I do not recall unfortunately. What we did NOT enjoy was a musical group named Soundscape who played in The Club. The fact that they were playing in The Club kept us away from that venue.

Thank you Tripacian for mentioning other entertainers aside from those on stage. On the Encore (September/Early October 2017), we especially enjoyed Suzanne Jade in the Thomas Keller Bar. She is a singer/pianist who is quite accomplished. We also enjoyed a duo in the Obersvation Bar whose names I do not recall unfortunately. What we did NOT enjoy was a musical group named Soundscape who played in The Club. The fact that they were playing in The Club kept us away from that venue.

I agree, Susan is excellent and so is Joe and Megan (I think that’s her name) in the Obs Bar, loved their music. Didn’t go to the club (other than trivia) so can’t comment on the entertainment there.

The band who play in the Club at night have to be something of a one size fits all solution. Different people want differnt things. For some a Filipino band who can throw their hand to anything is the answer, for others a band who have more honed talents in fewer areas is the ideal.

I have to say we have had fun with both. A few drinks, a bit of singing along to some well know tunes and a few shapes thrown on the dance floor.

People cruise with Seabourn from all corners of the world, cover a diverse age range and musical taste. What one person deems perfect another finds annoying.

Given the size of ships and resource available I think SB do a pretty good job.

I apply the stand or sit at the back method.

If the entertainment is good then I stay,if it is bad then I creep out quietly and not offend the act.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I totally second your approach, we do that same as you never know and you don't want to sit in the front row and walk out if it is bad....

The on ship stage shows are extremely repetitive and a bit kitsch so we generally give them a miss these days unless someone decides to put on a breakout show for one night only. We've seen too many young troupes get up and do the same thing. The kids try hard, some are good, others we hope have a few other "irons in the fire". Same for us with "guest" artists. We try the stand at the back approach. Many we have seen the same show previously as they do the rounds from ship to ship - the better ones are worth repeat viewing.

We have found the club band, duos, trios and pianists all very good and enjoy the many and varied styles to suit all tastes. They could expand the offerings on board by perhaps tapping into the talent of these people more and doing some one-off nights to showcase particular talent or a theme - particularly when you are on for the longer voyages!

The on ship stage shows are extremely repetitive and a bit kitsch so we generally give them a miss these days unless someone decides to put on a breakout show for one night only. We've seen too many young troupes get up and do the same thing. The kids try hard, some are good, others we hope have a few other "irons in the fire". Same for us with "guest" artists. We try the stand at the back approach. Many we have seen the same show previously as they do the rounds from ship to ship - the better ones are worth repeat viewing.

How wonderfully patronising :)

I'm sure all the "kids" training hard in Northampton will appreciate your comments. There was a new round of shows launched just under a year ago, we had Belinda King onboard with us aboard Encore as they were rolled out and I thought it was a significant step up.

Obviously people cruising several times per year will see the headline shows several times before they are changed all be it with different performers. The cast alternate between Seabourn and Holland America. It's important to take what a battle hardened regular cruiser says with a pinch of salt and this doesn't just relate to the entertainment. Someone trying Seabourn for the first time or cruising once a year / once every couple of years will have a very different take on things.

The guest performers are intended to add variety around the set headline shows. Christmas & New Year will see special one off shows which are arranged on board utilising the specific talents available.

For what it's worth we haven't had a bad cast yet.

Thanks Henry. You always put things in perspective. One of my closest friends is a several times a year cruiser---usually on Silversea. At lunch recently, she told me that she realizes that she has become jaded and even though a cruise is wonderful, it just doesn't have the wow factor that it used to have for her.

The original post queried the merits of entertainment on Seabourn. Like everything in life there are good performers, bad and those waiting for something else to come along. We have struck all on Seabourn and on other lines.

Henry we agree about the regular vs the newbies in terms of expectations and do try to be fair. However, we don't cruise every few months, but every 12 months for about 6 weeks. Our comments about repetitiveness are on this basis - from cruise to cruise - not in relation to the period of time on board as of course there will be repetition. We've seen the new shows you mention and our comments stand in terms of replying to the original post. We do think there could be more freestyle shows which at no cost could add to the entertainment offerings and showcase more appropriately the talents of the entertainment troupe, after they have met their obligations to whatever demographic and cultural background the staged shows are aimed.

I think after 14 or so years of listening to "Sara Lee" after dinner we have an opinion. :D

Bottom line - they are given a set format regardless of their voices, talents or vocal abilities. Ok we have to cop that, but give them a chance to show their real stripes! Thank heavens for Handre and David E with their own shows.

We interact quite a bit with the "kids" and have had many in our town to show around over the years or to stay with us so we know their own trials and tribulations with the format. They do rail themselves against some of the rigidity, but until we as the cruiser audience start helping out with our comments change will be very slow.

Cheers

Handre gave a performance on our last cruise and whilst not normally my thing I found it deeply moving. He opened up on stage as a human being rather than a cheesy performer and touched hearts.

There were however some guests who moaned about his piano playing ability saying they or people know to them were technically more competent. So you can't please all the people all the time.

Arranging one off performances requires quite a lot of work and there is a worry that head office loses control. They are ultra conscious of not wanting to upset customers.

I do think that hosted group debates amongst guests covering a variety of topics would be easy enough to organise and fun. I can imagine some very opinionated individuals livening things up :)

Might need security standing by just in case :)

Henry

What kinds of topics would you suggest Henry? Surely not the dreaded politics--(lol)

Where to start?

Does capital punishment work?

Can we ever achieve world peace?

Is free movement of people around the world a good thing ?

Why are people still starving in the world?

Do elections in the free world work?

Proportional representation or first past the post?

Why do we spend so much money on the military, is there an alternative?

How can god exist when there are so many gods around the world?

Does tourism help or hinder poorer countries?

Is the Internet a good or a bad thing?

Are we slaves to technology?

Why do,we work so hard only to spend our retirement enjoying the simple pleasures in life?

Free market or the state?

Are engineers or artists more important?

Is sport the new religion?

Is the media too powerful?

And so the list goes on....

Please...no more debates!!! There are more than enough on CC already.

Only a tiny proportion of people cruising visit cruise critic.

There is a huge difference between discnussing topics in person and discussing them behind an anonymous facade. I may not even be married or male!

You don't have to turn up to the Club if you don't want to have a debate.

It's a great way to break the ice, far better then standing around outside your cabin door wearing just a towel.

It allows guests to participate rather than just spectate thus promoting mental stimulation.

I do grant you it requires a skilled host to spark up the conversation, fill in the gaps, balance the argument and ensure everything stays on a friendly footing. No more so than the Trivia quiz where competition can become fierce if left unchecked.

At least there are no valuable prizes being competed for in the daily debate :)

Only a tiny proportion of people cruising visit cruise critic.

There is a huge difference between discnussing topics in person and discussing them behind an anonymous facade. I may not even be married or male!

You don't have to turn up to the Club if you don't want to have a debate.

It's a great way to break the ice, far better then standing around outside your cabin door wearing just a towel.

It allows guests to participate rather than just spectate thus promoting mental stimulation.

I do grant you it requires a skilled host to spark up the conversation, fill in the gaps, balance the argument and ensure everything stays on a friendly footing. No more so than the Trivia quiz where competition can become fierce if left unchecked.

At least there are no valuable prizes being competed for in the daily debate :)

You completely misunderstood the intention of my post. The topics you suggested for onboard debates are wonderful. I was referring to more debates about the usual topics which are debated nonstop here on CC such as dress codes etc.

Another excellent topic.

Genuinely I think this would be a valid activity. Easy to organise - I would gladly host it on Sojourn this Dec and I'm happy that I'm conscious of the boundaries and need to keep the peace.

What I don't want is anything related to Seabourn. It isn't intended to stir up unrest about smoking, the Retreat & so on. Rather to exploit the wealth of cultural diversity and life experiences on board.

They did hold a couple of discussions aboard a Royal Caribbean ship we were on once and it was really interesting discussing Capital punishment / the penal system with a guest who was a former prison governor !

I think Seabourn needs to explore activities where guests participate rather than just spectate. Look at the popularity of Trivia, it's because guests are actually doing something rather than just watching others do or speak.

A sweeping generalisation but Seabourn has some of the most educated and qualified clientele on the high seas, its what makes small talk in the various bars so interesting. Exploit it.

Mr. Luxury, As a Texan, I am so saddened by the recent tragedy near San Antonio. What you will find on the issue of gun laws is that most people are for more stringent laws. Unfortunately, it is lobby money carrying the day, so perhaps campaign finance laws should also be strengthened.

Yes, I would enjoy debate/discussion on important topics of the day.