Antarctica kayaking

Keithb

You don’t have an itinerary for the “Antarctic Experience” part of your Seabourn trip. If you read through my thread and those of others recounting their Seabourn Antartica cruise you will see that when and where the ship goes during this part of your cruise is not determined until just beforehand and subject to changes day by day and hour by hour. As such there is no way to determine the best day to kayak. Best thing to do is just sign up for a day or two “blind” and see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are the kayaks 1 or 2 person?

I assume they are the same as what we used on Sojourn in Alaska and they are two person kayaks. If you were solo they would pair you with someone. The Venture guides who accompanied us used single kayaks.

Julie

We have booked the Antarctica Cruise on Quest next November. Do you have a scheduled landing every day while in Antarctica? Are those landings included or are they considered excursions at an extra charge.

What other excursions are included and which are extra for the Antarctica experience.

I understand that everything in Antarctica is subject to change depending on weather etc...

Again no “scheduled” landings in Antartica. Whether you can land during the 5 or 6 days you are “scheduled” to be there can and will change day by day. There is a briefing every day before dinner to go over “plans” for the next day. And even at that there were often changes the next morning. There was one day on our cruise where we were in the first color group to go out in the zodiac in the morning (this rotates every day in an effort to be fair) but when we returned the Captain suspended the zodiac rides for the remainder of the day due to safety concerns. Landings are site specific and again whether you can land depends on the sea state and weather conditions. One day in South Georgia we were unable to do landings but did get to go on zodiac rides to views the king penguins. No charge for zodiac rides/landings but there is a charge for kayaking. Just keep remember don’t get hung up up any schedule and be flexible. Just sit back and accept whatever happens and I can assure you it will be wonderful. The Seabourn crew and Ventures staff are terrific and no one wants to make you trip more memorable than they do!

• 2 weeks later...
Again no “scheduled” landings in Antartica. Whether you can land during the 5 or 6 days you are “scheduled” to be there can and will change day by day. There is a briefing every day before dinner to go over “plans” for the next day. And even at that there were often changes the next morning. There was one day on our cruise where we were in the first color group to go out in the zodiac in the morning (this rotates every day in an effort to be fair) but when we returned the Captain suspended the zodiac rides for the remainder of the day due to safety concerns. Landings are site specific and again whether you can land depends on the sea state and weather conditions. One day in South Georgia we were unable to do landings but did get to go on zodiac rides to views the king penguins. No charge for zodiac rides/landings but there is a charge for kayaking. Just keep remember don’t get hung up up any schedule and be flexible. Just sit back and accept whatever happens and I can assure you it will be wonderful. The Seabourn crew and Ventures staff are terrific and no one wants to make you trip more memorable than they do!

Thanks Chairsin! Useful info for an Antarctic newbie!

If the weather and seas are perfect for each and every of the 6 days you are in Antarctica, would everyone on the ship have the opportunity to go ashore once each day?

I assume they are the same as what we used on Sojourn in Alaska and they are two person kayaks. If you were solo they would pair you with someone. The Venture guides who accompanied us used single kayaks.

Julie

Thanks for your reply!

If the weather and seas are perfect for each and every of the 6 days you are in Antarctica, would everyone on the ship have the opportunity to go ashore once each day?

We were on one of the first trips to Antarctica and Seabourn just kept on sending the Zodiacs ashore taking people and bringing people back to keep the one hundred ashore at one time I presume. I didn't see any staff member sending people back to the ship when you time was up meaning that maybe one could stay a little longer if one wished. We weren't rushed at all being very happy with the time we spent ashore talking to Happy Feet. You could watch the penguins all day. They are funny. We also went ashore everyday we were there but we did have magic weather.

We were on one of the first trips to Antarctica and Seabourn just kept on sending the Zodiacs ashore taking people and bringing people back to keep the one hundred ashore at one time I presume. I didn't see any staff member sending people back to the ship when you time was up meaning that maybe one could stay a little longer if one wished. We weren't rushed at all being very happy with the time we spent ashore talking to Happy Feet. You could watch the penguins all day. They are funny. We also went ashore everyday we were there but we did have magic weather.

Thanks. We have read that the stench from thousands of penguins can be almost unbearable. Did you experience any of this? If so - was it really that bad?

Thanks. We have read that the stench from thousands of penguins can be almost unbearable. Did you experience any of this? If so - was it really that bad?

Not that I remember

I would love to do this cruise again but with our luck we wouldn't get the same good weather we had and that would ruin the fond memories of our trip. Seabourn really do it well

Roxburgh made an excellent blob of our cruise

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1966337

Edited by Thecat123

No. You really get quite used to it. Also I haven’t really encountered any of this ruining your clothes problem that I read about. This comes from 2 week long Falkland visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums