Which U.K. Port?

sjde

so many Scandinavian cruises leave from British ports and I know nothing about any of them.

Dover

Southampton

Liverpool

Newcastle

All I know is that Liverpool is working class. ( because of the Beatles!).

Which do you prefer?

Depends what flights are available from Denver.

London Heathrow or London Gatwick + train or bus transfer for Southampton or Dover, Manchester + train or bus transfer for Liverpool, can't help with Newcastle.

And depends which cruise line. Major cruise lines use Southampton and Dover, whereas Newcastle & Liverpool tend to be the smaller Brit cruise lines like Thomson / TUI, Fred Olsen and Cruise & Maritime.

Most folk crossing the Pond use Southampton or Dover - wider choice of flights, choice of Brit & US cruise lines, and the opportunity to spend pre / post- cruise time in London.

You also have the choice of cruises starting in Copenhagen and Amsterdam, and a few from places like Oslo and Stockholm - cruises from the UK tend to include an extra sea-day

Your "Liverpool working class" comment just might attract some hoots of derision - best put your tin helmet on ;)

JB :)

Hah! :). I didn't say it was true. I said that's what we've heard in the U.S. Though admittedly , that was years ago.

We are looking at Fred Olsen and they offer all of those for a Norway cruise.

We've been to Norway from both Southampton, with RCI, and Newcastle, which is much closer to our home, with Fred O. From NC it's only a short journey, so we could see the coast in the afternoon of the sea day; The ship was small, so we went to some of the less visited ports... not as much to do as on the vast RCI (Independence), but each day was a new fjord, so we really didn't want much activity on board- the views were enough. The food was the best we've ever had at sea.

But Newcastle is a long train ride from Manchester airport, and I don't know whether you could get flights to Scotland- Glasgow or Edinburgh; lots of people from Scotland were on board because of good train connections to Newcastle.

I have only used Southampton and Dover, both relatively easy for us to get to once we are in the UK/Europe. I haven't investigated anything out of the other ports as yet but would be interested in Liverpool as I want to go back and spend more time there and also the lakes district.

BTW, I have supported Liverpool FC since 1981 as a teenager when a Aussie (Craig Johnston) started playing for them.

I have only used Southampton and Dover, both relatively easy for us to get to once we are in the UK/Europe. I haven't investigated anything out of the other ports as yet but would be interested in Liverpool as I want to go back and spend more time there and also the lakes district.

BTW, I have supported Liverpool FC since 1981 as a teenager when a Aussie (Craig Johnston) started playing for them.

You can fly from Oz to Manchester, then it's a short train ride to Liverpool; for the Lake District, you can take a train to Penrith or Oxenholme, hopefully on one of Richard Branson's Pendolino trains. There's a station at the airport, but you may have to change trains en route.

We've been to Norway from both Southampton, with RCI, and Newcastle, which is much closer to our home, with Fred O. From NC it's only a short journey, so we could see the coast in the afternoon of the sea day; The ship was small, so we went to some of the less visited ports... not as much to do as on the vast RCI (Independence), but each day was a new fjord, so we really didn't want much activity on board- the views were enough. The food was the best we've ever had at sea.

But Newcastle is a long train ride from Manchester airport, and I don't know whether you could get flights to Scotland- Glasgow or Edinburgh; lots of people from Scotland were on board because of good train connections to Newcastle.

Your best bet for Newcastle is fly into London Heathrow then fly British Airways to Newcastle where there are several flights per day.

Taxi to Royal Quays North Shields terminal is only around 20 minutes from the airport.

You can fly from Oz to Manchester, then it's a short train ride to Liverpool; for the Lake District, you can take a train to Penrith or Oxenholme, hopefully on one of Richard Branson's Pendolino trains. There's a station at the airport, but you may have to change trains en route.
Cheers, we would likely fly into Heathrow and then get a train (trains) up to Liverpool before hiring a car for the lakes district.

so many Scandinavian cruises leave from British ports and I know nothing about any of them.

Dover

Southampton

Liverpool

Newcastle

All I know is that Liverpool is working class. ( because of the Beatles!).

Which do you prefer?

Princess operates Scandinavian cruises from Southampton, we are on Sapphire Princess ex Southampton next year.;p Actually Liverpool is a great city, we have been there a couple of times. A lot of redevelopment and the Royal Albert Dock area is fantastic, some great museums, including museum of slavery, where the slave ships left for Africa/America and the Beatles museum. As for working class, every city has working class does it not? Sydney certainly does.:rolleyes:

Liverpool is a great mix of new development and grand old warehouses and docks. Both Liverpool and Newcastle will present a whole new version of English! Scouse:

“Eh, dey do doh, don’t dey doe!”

(I’m married into the twang)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good man....fellow LFC fan, and Craig was one of my favourite Liverpool players.

When we left Liverpool on Crown Princess in 2009, Gerry Pacemakers hit 'Ferry Cross the Mersey' was played throughout the ship, so appropriate as we navigated the Mersey.:') Followed by 'You'll never Walk alone.' That would be MicCanberra's favourite, being a Liverpool Fan. You should go visit Anfield if you are in Liverpool.

Good idea, a pint of Newcastle Brown Ale, or a Boddingtons ? A great array of amber fluids available in merry olde England.[emoji813]eyes:
Not Boddingtons, it's gone down hill since they were taken over by the multi nationals and moved the brewery.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

When we left Liverpool on Crown Princess in 2009, Gerry Pacemakers hit 'Ferry Cross the Mersey' was played throughout the ship, so appropriate as we navigated the Mersey.:') Followed by 'You'll never Walk alone.' That would be MicCanberra's favourite, being a Liverpool Fan. You should go visit Anfield if you are in Liverpool.
I intend to next visit, my first visit was on a tour and I didn't have the time to get there.

Liverpool is a great mix of new development and grand old warehouses and docks. Both Liverpool and Newcastle will present a whole new version of English! Scouse:

“Eh, dey do doh, don’t dey doe!”

(I’m married into the twang)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why eye man gan doon to the toon.

Good man....fellow LFC fan, and Craig was one of my favourite Liverpool players.

Local Sunderland lad Jordan Henderson at Liverpool and local Sunderland lad Jordan Pickford at Everton.

Everton contributed £100,000 to the Bradley Lowery fund and are in my opinion the best after my beloved Sunderland.

When we were on Harmony last year Gerry(or one of the pacemakers not 100% sure) sang songs on Central Park and was delighted when we asked him to sing Ferry across the mersey.

Not Boddingtons, it's gone down hill since they were taken over by the multi nationals and moved the brewery.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Old Speckled hen in bottles is best and is 5% Newcastle brown was 3.4% when i drank it in bottles not sure if it is any stronger now.