Currency for a Danube river cruise

Hawaiiatheart

We will be doing a Christmas market cruise with a few days in Budapest prior to our cruise, then doing a post stay in Prague. It seems that Euros are widely accepted in Hungary, as well as on our cruise stops, is this also the case with Prague? It would be much easier to use one currency than two or three. Also, will the ATMs dispense the local currency or Euros? I imagine the market vendors will require cash, so are there banks or ATM machines accessible in those areas? Thank you so much for any help you can give us!

Used ATMs in Prague for their local currency. Easy. If you want to pay extra for purchases in the Czech Republic & Hungary you can find people willing to take your Euros. I've done that too.

If I go on a 3 currency trip, I get my currency from AAA and bring 3 envelopes clearly marked and leave them in my safe until needed. Yes, I will likely end up with unspent currency which probably exceeds the amount I'd overpay using Euros in non Euro countries.

ATMs will dispense local currency. 1. Some machines will let you chose small denominations which small shop keepers prefer. They may not have enough to break a large denomination.

2. If given the choice by the ATM, choose to have bank do the conversion to get better exchange rate.

3. Check if your hotel had an ATM in the lobby. Or go online to your card provider and look for "Locations" to find nearby ATMs in your network.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi H,

Charge everything you can, in the local currency, on a CC that doesn't charge a "conversion fee" - eg CapitalOne.

Get small amounts of local currency from the local ATMs.

Enjoy your visit.

Ira

We will be doing a Christmas market cruise with a few days in Budapest prior to our cruise, then doing a post stay in Prague. It seems that Euros are widely accepted in Hungary, as well as on our cruise stops, is this also the case with Prague? It would be much easier to use one currency than two or three. Also, will the ATMs dispense the local currency or Euros? I imagine the market vendors will require cash, so are there banks or ATM machines accessible in those areas? Thank you so much for any help you can give us!

We used Forints for our 2 days in Budapest following our riverboat cruise. While I believe you're right about them taking euros, it was sort of fun to get 60,000 forints (300 forints to approx. one euro). Besides, how often do you get to have a bill that says 10,000 on it? LOL Seriously, though, my wife and I are not terribly fond of having to work with different currencies on a trip, which is why the use of euros is so nice for quite a few different countries. As to ATMs around Budapest, I seem to recall a good number.

Please post back as to how you enjoyed the Christmas market! One of those is definitely on our list.

I found bank ATMs (not the small private ATMs) in Budapest, Germany, Austria and Prague for small amounts of local currency. I used my Schwab ATM card because Schwab reimburses ATM fees and they gave me a great exchange rate.

But the best deal was using a credit card, which was accepted everywhere. I used a Citi Mastercard that charges no foreign exchange fee, but the best part is they send me a text message that I receive immediately (even in Europe) that tells me the amount of US dollars charged on my card. The exchange rate was always mid market, and far better than what any vendor would give me. Most credit cards now can be set up with this text message feature. I love it!

I did not find Euros to be widely accepted in Budapest, especially at small shops and by street food vendors. I exchanged a few dollars for forints, and used my Capital One Quicksilver card.

Roz

We did the Danube last year & used the ATMs to get local currency in Budapest & Prague. Both countries are very friendly & safe, so no worries while using the ATMS.

The ATMs will give you several options, but do not take the option where you withdraw the local currency & the ATM does the conversion for you right away so you would know how much money you just took out from your account at home. Just take out the local currency & let your bank at home do the conversion for you. There's a terminalogy for this, but I just can't remember it right now. Does this make sense? Hope it helps.

Enjoy.

I found bank ATMs (not the small private ATMs) in Budapest, Germany, Austria and Prague for small amounts of local currency. I used my Schwab ATM card because Schwab reimburses ATM fees and they gave me a great exchange rate.

But the best deal was using a credit card, which was accepted everywhere. I used a Citi Mastercard that charges no foreign exchange fee, but the best part is they send me a text message that I receive immediately (even in Europe) that tells me the amount of US dollars charged on my card. The exchange rate was always mid market, and far better than what any vendor would give me. Most credit cards now can be set up with this text message feature. I love it!

Agreed on using credit cards. I'd much rather do this than have to work with local currency, but sometimes for smaller purchases it's probably just easier to have the cash. I'd think most vendors probably prefer that anyway, especially in consideration of incurring fees for credit card sales. The foreign cash situation can get a bit crazy at times though, especially on cruise ships. Before arriving in St. Petersburg during a Baltic cruise, it was pure insanity with everyone scrambling to get their hands on the ship's limited supply of rubles. We got our share but really didn't need to use them much anyway - gave most to our Alla guide as part of his tip.

I did not find Euros to be widely accepted in Budapest, especially at small shops and by street food vendors. I exchanged a few dollars for forints, and used my Capital One Quicksilver card.

Roz

We shopped in the Great Market Hall, and it did seem like much of the merchandise was priced in both euros and forints, but since we had the forints we wanted to use them all up anyway before going home. Unlike euros, which can be saved and easily used during another international trip, it is far less likely that we'll be getting back to Budapest anytime soon. I did take a picture of one of my 10,000 forint bills though......just sort of cool to have that 'large' a currency denomination!

Agreed on using credit cards. I'd much rather do this than have to work with local currency, but sometimes for smaller purchases it's probably just easier to have the cash. I'd think most vendors probably prefer that anyway, especially in consideration of incurring fees for credit card sales. The foreign cash situation can get a bit crazy at times though, especially on cruise ships. Before arriving in St. Petersburg during a Baltic cruise, it was pure insanity with everyone scrambling to get their hands on the ship's limited supply of rubles. We got our share but really didn't need to use them much anyway - gave most to our Alla guide as part of his tip.

Credit Cards (IMO) are best for purchases but some places in Budapest did not take credit cards. Vendors wanted to be paid in local currency.

We did the Danube last year & used the ATMs to get local currency in Budapest & Prague. Both countries are very friendly & safe, so no worries while using the ATMS.

The ATMs will give you several options, but do not take the option where you withdraw the local currency & the ATM does the conversion for you right away so you would know how much money you just took out from your account at home. Just take out the local currency & let your bank at home do the conversion for you. There's a terminalogy for this, but I just can't remember it right now. Does this make sense? Hope it helps.

Enjoy.

Yes. Almost always, the term is "BAD DEAL" (for you)! ;) The actual term is "Dynamic Currency Conversion" though.

Merchants started this years ago so that they could offer the "convenience" of charging you in your own home currency. The exchange rate for DCC which they offer is (IME) never as good as the bank rate. So if, for example, today's Euro rate is $1.1792 (ouch BTW; the USD is tanking).

If you are in Germany and you buy something for 100 Euros, your choice might be to pay 100 Euros, or $122 up front with DCC. It is better to pay 100 Euros. Your CC will charge you something near $117.92 depending on the actual exchange rate when the conversion hits. It will be less than $122, for sure. The merchant will make an additional 4-5% on your transaction if you choose the convenience of paying in Dollars. It's not a terrible gouge, but there is no need to pay it.

Now, for the last year or so, I am seeing this option on ATMs for cash withdrawal. Once I was too tired to notice, and I fell for it because it was totally unexpected. Not the next time!

You'll go to withdraw xxx Koruna, or Forints. The machine will ask you if you want to be charged in local currency, or in US Dollars. Pick the local currency!