Wondering about Hermosa Beach pre-cruise?

EllaBee

Hello. We will be sailing out of San Pedro in December and we were looking for a nice relaxing place to stay for a few days pre-cruise. We wanted somewhere where we could walk, rent bikes, not rely on a car. Previously, we have stayed pre-cruise in Santa Monica and Venice Beach (very enjoyable) but this time we wanted to try somewhere a bit different.

We have read quite a bit about Hermosa Beach (and Redondo and Manhattan Beaches) and the whole area sounds so nice, a great place to stay. However, I have searched the boards but it doesn't appear that anyone thinks about staying in this area before or after a cruise. I am just wondering about the reasons why this might be. One reason that comes to mind is maybe most cruisers think it is too far away to get to San Pedro on embarkation day? If anyone has any insights or comments, I would really appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

For a long time the only hotels in MB/HB/RB were on or east of Sepulveda Blvd., quite some distance from the downtown and beach areas. This has changed - a little - but there still aren't many places (aside from Airbnb and the like) close to the beach. So I think it's more a case of limited supply and next to no advertising for the places that are there, rather than people not wanting to stay there for some other reason.

I think HB is a terrific place to stay - walk on The Strand (beachfront pedestrian/bike street) while you decide which bank to rob so you can buy a house there; eat what I think is southern California's best breakfast at Martha's on 22nd, go to the Lighthouse on Pier Avenue (as featured in La La Land) for terrific jazz...

I grew up in Manhattan Beach and it's still my favorite part of greater LA.

Since you're open to ideas, let me also suggest you look at the Belmont Shore and Naples area in Long Beach. This is somewhat closer to San Pedro, but if you liked Venice I predict you'll LOVE Naples, particularly around Christmas when there are boat parades through the canals and around the bay. This is a VERY under-the-radar part of LA, and it's nothing short of fabulous.

11431171276_238fd06541_b.jpg

Thanks very much for the reply. We will be staying very near the Strand on Hermosa Beach and are hoping for sunny weather for walking and biking. Thanks, too for the information about Naples and the Belmont Shore. We had never heard of these areas before, but now they are definitely on our radar!

For a long time the only hotels in MB/HB/RB were on or east of Sepulveda Blvd., quite some distance from the downtown and beach areas. This has changed - a little - but there still aren't many places (aside from Airbnb and the like) close to the beach. So I think it's more a case of limited supply and next to no advertising for the places that are there, rather than people not wanting to stay there for some other reason.

I think HB is a terrific place to stay - walk on The Strand (beachfront pedestrian/bike street) while you decide which bank to rob so you can buy a house there; eat what I think is southern California's best breakfast at Martha's on 22nd, go to the Lighthouse on Pier Avenue (as featured in La La Land) for terrific jazz...

I grew up in Manhattan Beach and it's still my favorite part of greater LA.

Since you're open to ideas, let me also suggest you look at the Belmont Shore and Naples area in Long Beach. This is somewhat closer to San Pedro, but if you liked Venice I predict you'll LOVE Naples, particularly around Christmas when there are boat parades through the canals and around the bay. This is a VERY under-the-radar part of LA, and it's nothing short of fabulous.

11431171276_238fd06541_b.jpg

Is the Sea Sprite Motel still there? I think it was in Redondo or Hermosa Beach last stayed there in 1975