What Do You Like Best About Cunard

robbie_3

After receiving a recent feedback questionnaire we had an opportunity to prioritise what best we enjoyed about the cruise line.

I have to say Cunard's friendly staff is way up there along with the ambience and dress code.

We love the formal nights and dress code on board. If you want casual, use another cruise line.

The ability to bring on board your own champagne to enjoy on the balcony at sailaway - no, we don't abuse the policy and still drink in the bars.

The fact that there's no rowdiness on board even on the short cruises.

The staff on board, who always make you feel welcome.

• Her (QM2) elegance (I've only sailed on QM2, but I'm going to bet that the other two queens are just as elegant)
  • Her sophistication, without being snooty
  • Her decor. Beautiful artwork, art deco, fresh flowers.
  • Beautiful music. Quartet, Harp.
  • Her passengers.
  • Her lovely shape. I mean really, isn't she just stunning when she's docked and you look up at her bow from below?
  • Educational/enrichment series.
  • Wow, there's just so much to list....

I especially love that there are no hairy ankle contests; no loud music; no annoying announcements; no animal shaped towels; no garish brass, mirrors and colors; no plastic palm trees; no climbing walls or ziplines.

• Her (QM2) elegance (I've only sailed on QM2, but I'm going to bet that the other two queens are just as elegant)
  • Her sophistication, without being snooty
  • Her decor. Beautiful artwork, art deco, fresh flowers.
  • Beautiful music. Quartet, Harp.
  • Her passengers.
  • Her lovely shape. I mean really, isn't she just stunning when she's docked and you look up at her bow from below?
  • Educational/enrichment series.
  • Wow, there's just so much to list....

I especially love that there are no hairy ankle contests; no loud music; no annoying announcements; no animal shaped towels; no garish brass, mirrors and colors; no plastic palm trees; no climbing walls or ziplines.

All excellent points. Most everything on the list is a consequence of the dress code and formal nights. If that went away Cunard would start attracting people who would demand a hairy ankle contest.

Quiet: no blaring Musak on the open decks or public rooms, no loud talking (thanks to the percentage of British passengers usually aboard), no endless announcements. You can actually hear the sea.

Traditional: wood steamer chairs on a proper boat deck promenade, traditional shipboard deck sports, no amusement park features, outdoor video boards and trendy nonsense

Dress code: the only line left with proper standards. Tee shirts and flip-flops on "formal" night... not on Cunard.

Consistency: of cuisine and service in the MDR even with open sitting for breakfast and lunch

Cocktails: pricey yet but good value with exceptional bar service, nibbles, extensive drinks menu

Library: best on the high seas. Not everyone wants to spend a cruise looking at a little computer screen. Real books. And a huge assortment of them with a proper librarian, too.

Itineraries: proper "no fly" cruises: from Southampton and New York

We took our very first cruise with Cunard this year on QM2

Things we really enjoyed:

1)Ambiance

2) How uncrowded ship felt

3) Ship is almost like a museum with so many interesting stories on the walls

4) Planetarium is a great feature. Went twice in 5 days

5) Musical clubs.

6) Cozy cabins with teapots

7) Ballroom dancing and high tea

8) Food in buffets was mostly high quality, especially in Asian corner

9) Nice pools including covered. Loved towels there

10) Enjoyed interesting conversation with Captain who was invited to our cc gathering

11) There was so much to do, we had one day rainy and haven't noticed it. :)

Cons: we were expecting better food in mdr. Celebrity, Holland and Princess bit Cunard in this department, and Royal in some regards.

We experienced a bit better entertainment in main theater with some other lines

Dress code, quiet, refinement, etc as already mentioned - plus the ability to go Grills and have dining (and lunch and breakfast) that is truly flexible with our own dedicated table, with the same staff; walk in at any time and there it always is. Some people prefer alternative arrangements, but it's there as an option if you want (and we do!).

Wonderful speakers have always been number one for DH and me.

Then, the ambience: less frenetic and more relaxed. Live classic music instead of something blasted on loud speakers.

Comfortable chairs in public spaces. (Boy, are the chairs on the Celebrity Equinox uncomfortable for sitting and reading!)

Good service. Good food.

Oh, and the LIBRARIES! Love the wealth of reading matter, particularly on a longer voyage.

And, if the QM2, the most magnificent passenger ship on the sea!

This would have been a much more difficult thread, if it had asked "what don't you like?" I'm not sure I could have answered that :)

Happy Sailings to you all.

Jimmybean

In addition to most of the previous -

Very few children on board (at least on the QM2) and those are usually well behaved. I remember once seeing a very young boy wearing an immaculate tuxedo (complete with patent leather shoes ) walking along with his parents on formal nights.

Dear Robbie_3,

It is inasmuchas not only the Shareholder Benefit from the Parent CCL/CUK :NYSE/LSE,

but having the only Ocean Liner, the only (24) Kennels too.

FYI:

Did you know that the AKC show of the Westminster Kennel Club, held annually, in NYC, NY is awarded to the Best in Show winner ( Owner and Cannine) now as of A.D. 2017 a Gratis voyage on the QM2 too? It is a Breed Ring Show.

Those in summary are what I like best on the Cunard ships and Oceanliner, besides all the other great attributes.