Day of disembarkation?

BCSmallTownGirl

We are cruising next March for the first time :D

What I would like to hear from seasoned cruisers is this: if you have to fly home, do you do it the same day you arrive at your last port of call? Or do you like to get a hotel and fly home the next day? Why?

Trying to decide when to book our flight home (luckily, not a really long flight, but a 3 hour drive from the airport to home) - and whether to get the hotel in our last port of call, or after our flight. ;p

Thanks!

I used to get depressed when having to leave the ship to go home. Discovered that if we take another day or two of vacation, it makes leaving the ship much more pleasant! And after that, usually ready to go home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What I would like to hear from seasoned cruisers is this: if you have to fly home, do you do it the same day you arrive at your last port of call? Or do you like to get a hotel and fly home the next day? Why?

Trying to decide when to book our flight home (luckily, not a really long flight, but a 3 hour drive from the airport to home) - and whether to get the hotel in our last port of call, or after our flight. ;p

Thanks!

Next day, it later.

Kick back relax, if I must fly the same day (don’t fly at all anymore, but when I did) as late as possible, who wants stress over getting to the airport etc.

I also usually fly in before a cruise. With the exception of Europe, Asia, and Alaska, I catch a mid afternoon flight home the day of disembarkation. The one thing I wouldn't do is stress myself on catching a morning flight home on disembarkation. Regardless, the choice is your and wishing you an enjoyable cruise.

It sounds like the drive is of more concern than the flight. Staying an extra day does change the fact that you will be flying and driving. Since you have to be up and out of your cabin early anyway, you might as well book a late morning flight and get the drive over with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We like to fly in early and fly out the day of. By the end of the cruise we are anxious to get home. Stayed overnight once due to logistics and that night was a complete waste for us. Though, in your situation it’s a toss up. Assuming you are flying east. So you’ll get in really late with your drive, but it won’t feel that late with the time change.

Thanks!

We usually spend a week or so or even more on a land trip after the cruise so it is not an issue.

DON

I lean towards a hotel after your flights . You pay in Cdn $, you know the area, and having your car gives you choice.

I prefer not to stress on debarkation day, so I allow for being one of the last off the ship, for slow Customs, and traffic delays to the airport, which gives an afternoon flight time. Leave the high-risk morning flights to the gamblers.

I used to get depressed when having to leave the ship to go home. Discovered that if we take another day or two of vacation, it makes leaving the ship much more pleasant! And after that, usually ready to go home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This ^ Plus in my experience I’ve found the air fares to be much higher the day we debark so it’s like getting an extra day of vacation for free.

Depends on the debarkation port. If it's an interesting one in a foreign country, we will extend our stay for several days. If it's just a Florida port, we catch the earliest possible flight home.

That is what we do too.

Thanks!

thats really a very tough question to answer. if debarking in FL, general rule of consensus is to not book anything before noon. but if the only flight out is at like 7 am, or 7 pm, then it just makes sense to get a cheap hotel and fly out the next morning.

we try and plan our arrival at home to be no later than mid afternoon. getting back at 11 pm is just too much effort

No matter where we disembark, we have no choice but to stay in a hotel before flying home. Our first flight is always around 7 AM and then we have to change planes in another city -- thus a lay over. Second flight lands late from some connecting airports. So we have to book a hotel for that night and then drive home the next day -- 2 hours. Also have to do all this for embarking a ship.

thats really a very tough question to answer. if debarking in FL, general rule of consensus is to not book anything before noon. but if the only flight out is at like 7 am, or 7 pm, then it just makes sense to get a cheap hotel and fly out the next morning.

we try and plan our arrival at home to be no later than mid afternoon. getting back at 11 pm is just too

We jjust about always stayed over one or two, or more nights post cruise. in disembarkation port. We enjoed y not having to rush rff to the airport and having a few more days vacation. :)

thats really a very tough question to answer. if debarking in FL, general rule of consensus is to not book anything before noon. but if the only flight out is at like 7 am, or 7 pm, then it just makes sense to get a cheap hotel and fly out the next morning. we try and plan our arrival at home to be no later than mid afternoon. getting back at 11 pm is just too We jjust about always stayed over one or two, or more nights post cruise. in disembarkation port. We enjoyed not having to rush off to the airport and having a few more days vacation. :)

I am not sure what I would do, but if you stay in Los Angeles for the day, rent car and visit something you haven't seen before to make the day worthwhile. Or at least pick a hotel with a nice pool. When you arrive at your home airport, will it be dark and snowy?

If you have the same route on your way to the cruise, I would definitely fly in the day before and stay overnight in Los Angeles.