Favorite cruise directors and why?

Horsegrl

I thought John Howell was a great CD - he reminded me of a young Jack Nicholson. Great sense of humor. Shocked and sad to learn, while looking him up on Google (to check spelling of name), that he passed this May at the early age of 57.

Wow! Had no clue about John. Sad!

CD is a crew slot in which I have zero interest. The only reason I would leave a comment on this thread is because Handre is a truly remarkable human being and I would never pass an opportunity to give him a plug.

Long working history between John and Handre.

Life sometimes gets in the way of what you love to do best, so we have not sailed on Seabourn for five years now but are in a position to resume doing so next year. So, I am not sure what CDs we missed, but I certainly remember several cruises with David E who was a good friend to us. I also wanted to mention over-the-top Nick Hale. I was sure that Nick was going to explode into little pieces several times as there seemed to be no limit to his energy and enthusiasm. I believe that he is with Viking now.

John Howell was a great CD. We were on the sailing where he left ill mid-cruise and Sophie replaced him. He will be missed. We have also had Jim Cannon recently and Jan a while back, both also great. Haven't had a bad one yet.

Handre is exceptional.

This gentle man is not just a fine CD he is a man with special gifts as a leader, a talented artist, a great communicator with warm and kind attributes . Seabourn is so blessed to have Handre as he is a perfect fit for Seabournian style.

Jan is also fantastic and has influenced many other Cruise Directors with her natural style. It is great to hear that she is still sharing her expertise. Jan is another Seabournian gem.

Edited by koalapanda

We enjoyed having Jim Cannon as our Cruise Director recently. He told us that he got his start on cruise ships as a singer/dancer and had a duo with his wife. He sang an old Elvis song (Fools Rush In) at Rock The Boat. So much fun. He can still sing!

Handre by a mile. He is talented, unassuming, and kind - maybe qualities which particularly appeal to Brits? But we have also enjoyed travelling with David E, Jan and Sophie.

Totally agree, Handre. He has made our cruises memorable each time we have sailed with him (hope he is on the Ovation next year).

Another vote for Sophie. Also enjoyed travels with David E, Jan (I think Sophie was Asst CD on that trip) and Heather. On Cunard and Crystal the CD was relatively remote and unimportant to us day to day. On Seabourn, esp with itineraries with many sea (trivia!) days, much more interaction.

I vote for Sophie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Handre is indeed an amazing human being in so many ways. I've witnessed umpteen acts of kindness that were above and beyond his remit as Cruise Director.

Sophie has also filled the CD boots with a natural and unassuming style which makes her popular across the board.

Henry :)

A name from the past came to me overnight, although I only took shorter cruises with him, I very much liked John Barron also. He went off to pursue a career on tv and lately has been on Regent's new ship. Seabourn's loss is Regent's gain!

We had 24 days with Handre, Antarctica cruise finding him way up the top compared to other CDs we have meet on different cruise lines over the years. Then we spent 28 days with Sophie on another cruise, had diner with her on the first night which I don't know if that made a difference, but I would have to give Sophie the edge over Handre. Also both these cruise were of an entirely different style of cruising which may have a different way CDs preform. Antarctica was a kind of "learning" cruise compared to a "holiday" cruise around Asia

I think we will meet Handre next month on the Encore which will be a "holiday" cruise so see if he is different on a normal cruise