Captain's Voice from the Bridge, Can people be quie for ten minutes??

sail7seas

Does it annoy you?

fFOR YEARS, i have strrained during Lunch in lido to listen to the Captain's Voi ce from tthe Bridge announement but people have no sense of respec for the Captaini, or their fellow guests and cannott sttay quiet or at least lower their screamingg voices for a few minutes so we can listten to what the Captain has to say Do they not know bettter but do not care to bother with courtesy? i ddoubt I am the only one who wants to listen to the Cpttain and cannot. Any suggestions how to 'gently' get hem to let us listen?

I don't think you're ever going to be able to get *everyone*(well not everyone but enough people that you can hear it) to be quiet for long enough to hear the announcements.

#fightingalosingbattleimafraid

Sadly, you are likely right. When did we become such a rude society?

Very easy solution. Captain "Speaking" happens same time each day at sea. Find a quiet place like lounge, Crows Nest or ship that still has a library or in your stateroom. Many options.

This is what we do.

This is a universal issue onboard

I suspect that many, if not most, people are not interested in the Captain's daily update. For those that are, it should be their responsibility to be in a place where they can hear the announcement. I don't find this issue is one of courtesy. The update is given for those who are interested. If people should be quiet every time an update is given, the next demand will be for quiet during the CD's announcements. That would really be over the top.

Stateroom makes the most sense.I know some think that the announcements are muffled but I rarely if ever have trouble hearing them.

The biggest issue I have is when I'm watching TV and the announcements interrupt it!!

Captains daily announcements are broadcast in public areas only, not in staterooms. Only announcements in a stateroom are those of an emergency nature, at least that’s our past experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that many, if not most, people are not interested in the Captain's daily update. For those that are, it should be their responsibility to be in a place where they can hear the announcement. I don't find this issue is one of courtesy. The update is given for those who are interested. If people should be quiet every time an update is given, the next demand will be for quiet during the CD's announcements. That would really be over the top.

LOL. So true.

I honestly haven't found it noisy for the Captain's announcement. In fact on the P'dam on my cruises, many do listen because they are interested.

There are lots of places to go to though if you need to hear them and want to be assured of silence.

Captains daily announcements are broadcast in public areas only, not in staterooms. Only announcements in a stateroom are those of an emergency nature, at least that’s our past experience

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that you can get any public area announcements on one of the ships TV Channels or maybe over the in room ceiling speaker.

Planning becomes a problem if Captain is more random with his daily. I’ve had that happen several times. Often I will try to record the updates so I can use it for “ voice over” in my videos. So I try to get under a speaker where there is less noise.

It’s definitely hard to hear the captain, sometimes. God forbid he make an announcement during an actual emergency. Some people wouldn’t even know the ship was going down until they went back for thirds at the buffet and noticed the dessert station taking on water.

To those folks who want to hear the announcements, the Lido is the worst place to be. As others have said, find a quiet space somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/q

yes, of c ourrse, People have spent the morning at the pool, come to Lido for lunch wifth their swimsujit and cover up. You expectthey should either skip lunch orgo shower Andd dress so tthey can go to MDDR IF IF it is even open?? Creative. Lido is the place for casual lunch, as you well know. How about a suggestion that such rude, loud people learn and use a few manners?S ttrange concept? Good idea? , perhaps you might give my comment a second thought and think maybe I have a point? Oops, I forgot anoth r option. they don't need to go to the pool in the Caribbean. No reason to be in a swimsuit at lunchttime.

Edited by sail7seas

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that you can get any public area announcements on one of the ships TV Channels or maybe over the in room ceiling speaker.

We tried that on our last cruise and nothing, even asked the Front Desk and they said only emergency announcements, if you can trust their advice [emoji17]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time it bothered me happened one time at dinner in the MDR. The Captain made an announcement explaining something that had happened that day--something I had wanted explained. But I couldn't hear anything other than the subject of the announcement. This was a random announcement not the daily noon announcement. People all around us never stopped talking loudly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, another person who thinks those who wish to hear their Capain speak, should skip lunch, or change out of the swimsuit they wore all monring at the pool, shower and change , inorder to go to lunch in mDR< Oh but wait, ,,,,,,,,,, it is often not open......... So, skip lunch or dont' hear what the Captain feels is worthy of him say ing to us , I do NOT equate a captain with any CD nor do I know anyone who does

No responsibility for adults to use some manners?

To those folks who want to hear the announcements, the Lido is the worst place to be. As others have said, find a quiet space somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/q

yes, of c ourrse, People have spent the morning at the pool, come to Lido for lunch wifth their swimsujit and cover up. You expectthey should either skip lunch orgo shower Andd dress so tthey can go to MDDR IF IF it is even open?? Creative. Lido is the place for casual lunch, as you well know. How about a suggestion that such rude, loud people learn and use a few manners?S ttrange concept? Good idea? , perhaps you might give my comment a second thought and think maybe I have a point? Oops, I forgot anoth r option. they don't need to go to the pool in the Caribbean. No reason to be in a swimsuit at lunchttime.

I for one, have never worn a bathing suit in the Lido at lunch and I have seen very few others who do.

I for one, have never worn a bathing suit in the Lido at lunch and I have seen very few others who do.

Thank you :). I was thought it was just me.:confused:

Where does all this malarky about swim suits emanate from?

ANYONE who haS SAILED the Cabbean has been joined in LIdo for lunch , quite properly by Pax who wear nice cover ups over their swimsuits. Where do you suggest all those guests who were at tthe pools all morrnig eat their lunch? It is HIGHLY unlikely they shower and change if tthey intend to retturn to the pool after lunch. tthey cannot plant to go to MDR as it is often closed for lunch.

ANYONE who haS SAILED CAREIBEAN HAs BEEN JOINED quite properly by Pax who wear nice cover up over their swimsuits. Where do you suggest all those guests who wer at tthe pools all morrnig eat their lunch? It is HIGHLY unlikely they shower and change if tthey intennd to retturn to the pool after lunch. Tthey cannot plan to go to MDR as it is often closed for lunch.

On the ships/cruises we have been on the captain's talk is only on sea days and is at 1 PM -- maybe 5 minutes early or 5 minutes late. It has been years since it was at noon on HAL ships.

By 1 we have eaten our lunch and are on our verandah reading. When we hear him come on, we just go inside and open the door so that we can hear him.

Our last 21 day cruise was very port intensive, so it was rarely that we heard him.