How do you label your luggage?

brell

Usually when we travel abroad we mark our luggage with the address of the hotel where we will be staying (+ our permanent address). Now we are flying out to meet our cruise ship. In the case of lost luggage, isn't it wiser to label it only with our permanent address and simply buy what we need (of course our luggage is insured)?

We include our cell phone number and the ship we are sailing with the dates.

Having our cell phone number on the luggage was a big help one time when we had shipped luggage and the luggage tags were removed by customs and federal express was trying to verify what to do with it. Same would apply if we had it with us and say the airline temporarily lost if. The phone number would be very helpful.

Keith

Dear brell,

To travel and label is well and a personal choice.

If I may suggest as we do too;

Having Xeroxed copies of Insurance Policy Number, Passport..etc.. helps as if the outside Tags are dammaged, taken and/or the poiece too they have records of who they belong to too.

Keeping Xeroxed Copies of your passports , credit cards helps as well in case of losses.. and going ashore leaving the Original Passport/ Passport Cards etc.. in the Safe.

Usually when we travel abroad we mark our luggage with the address of the hotel where we will be staying (+ our permanent address). Now we are flying out to meet our cruise ship. In the case of lost luggage, isn't it wiser to label it only with our permanent address and simply buy what we need (of course our luggage is insured)?

I'm with David Owl and 2irisheyes on not putting my home address on my luggage tags.

A while ago, I bought some plastic tags from REI (US chain catering to those doing outdoor pursuits) which cable to the handle of the suitcase. Using a labelmaker, I put on strips with my phone number (I have a UK number that I use abroad, and a US number that I use on homebound flights), e-mail address, and the name of the hotel to which I am going.

I am more concerned about the luggage reaching me before the cruise than on the way home, since I can easily replace anything in the suitcase.

Hi Brell,

We have permanent luggage tags that hold our business card, which also displays our cellphone numbers and email addresses. This number can save a lot of aggravation as Keith noted.

We tape an itinerary on the inside of our luggage in case the luggage has a misadventure. In the case of the WC, we just include the first two weeks.

Looking forward to meeting you on board!

Ricki

I also have three luggage tags per piece, luggage strap and Flyertalk tag. At least our luggage is easy to see., bright colors and duplicate tags.

Take pictures of it so if it comes up missing you can show what pieces you are looking for. This has been an assistance at two airports.

Howdy,

Labelling is so vital and a personal choice.

EG:

My elderly MIL we took her and my FIL on a few cruises.

Twice her luggage was stuck through .."harpooned" by a Fork Lift .

Each time we put her ID and a copy of her Cruiseline/Travel Agency given Luggage tags inside each piece.

Finding her was then easy aboard. So yes guess who had to handle these ?

Once when her luggage bag was destroyed in Florida I had already rented a vehicle and I went to a Walmart near the Saint John river and afyter putting it in my rental we went to the advenyture my MIL/FIL had never been on an AirBoat ( Fan Propelled) and they saw all those Black Gators too.. one even bit thewater- airship//