Sold Out Cabanas on HMC--What are the odds of any availability?

mom58

Hi! I snoozed and lost on a cabana for my upcoming December 3 cruise forHMC.

Has anyone ever had any luck grabbing one on embarkation, or the days before?

I wish there was a wait list!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

When you board the ship go directly to the Excursion desk. I got one this way a few years ago due to last minute cancellation I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any ideas?

Thanks!

There is a waitlist. Email Carnival shore excursions (shoreexcursions@carnival.com ) and ask to be put on the waitlist for a cabana. Of course give them all you cruise info in the email, including booking number. Visit the shore excursions desk first thing and should most likely get a cabana. YMMV

On my first cruise there, all the cabanas were sold out when I looked. However, there were two villas left. If there are villas left on your cruise, I suggest you do what I did. I booked one of the villas. I then went to roll calls for the cruise on this site and others. I offered to sell each of the remaining 6 spots in my villa for 1/8th on the villa's cost. I said that to avoid the hassle of sending money around, we would settle up once we got on the ship. I also said that I would only drop people from the list if other family members of mine decided to sail with us. I had 7 people sign up in 2 days. A little while later, 2 family members decided to join us and I let the family of 3 who were the last to sign up know that I could not give them spots. Once I got on the ship, I found that family and bought them a couple of drinks. They were not upset because they knew what to expect and it happened with more than enough time to book another excursion. All is well that ends well.

OP, go to Shore Excursions as soon as you board and ask to be put on the waitlist for a cabana. This is done on a first-come basis so try to get there quickly. There have been numerous reports here on CC of people doing this, and getting a cabana.

On my first cruise there, all the cabanas were sold out when I looked. However, there were two villas left. If there are villas left on your cruise, I suggest you do what I did. I booked one of the villas.

This is also a possibility if villas are available and you think you can recoup the cost of the extra "slots," either from friends on the cruise or from members of your roll call.

I do not recommend waiting until embark to collect the money, however; there's a fair chance you might get stuck "holding the bag" money-wise.

Or you could go whole-hog and book the Private Oasis, like I did once. Hey, it's an open bar! And it will be super un-crowded. :D

Last 2 times I went to HMC, the cabanas were sold out and I emailed Carnival to put myself on the waitlist. I received the cabana both times once I boarded. (on the Sunshine in August I was told I was 1st on the waitlist and that 1 guest had not yet checked in and he had a half hour left - felt kind of guilty I was hoping that person would show up late) I am on the Glory 11/25 and of course is waitlisted once again. So good luck to us both .

This past December we surprised friends by booking a B2B on the Fantasy out of Mobile on the second leg of their B2B2B. We had tried to get a Cabana at HMC as a further surprise. All sold out. :(

When we boarded we went to the Excursion Desk to give it one last try and low and behold they had 3 vacant. We got one and said HOORAY! :) At dinner we surprised them with the excursion. On the morning of arriving at HMC, we were assembled in the waiting area for the tender when an announcement was made that due to weather we would not be going to HMC after all. :loudcry:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Wake up next time ;)

On the morning of arriving at HMC, we were assembled in the waiting area for the tender when an announcement was made that due to weather we would not be going to HMC after all. :loudcry:

Story of my life. I'm 2-for-5 in actually getting to HMC...one cancellation was a cabana, one was a villa...and one was the Private Oasis. :o

Safe to say I was the most disappointed guy on THAT ship, who suddenly (and briefly) had $1,500 cash in his pocket. :)

I hope that you are able to reserve a cabana.

Having said that, we have cruised a fair amount of times during those first two weeks after Thanksgiving, up until about December 10 - and have a 50/50 track record for being able to port in HMC. Good luck getting there!

I do not recommend waiting until embark to collect the money, however; there's a fair chance you might get stuck "holding the bag" money-wise. :D

If people back out, there is no money to refund. If this happens the only problem is if Half Moon Cay is the day after embarkation. If it is after that, and some or all of the people drop out, you can tell the remaining people that the price has gone up, or you can just cancel the villa 24 hours before the excursion starts.

If people back out, there is no money to refund. If this happens the only problem is if Half Moon Cay is the day after embarkation.

And it often IS the day after embark, since it's commonly used as a "waypoint" on the way to Eastern Caribbean ports like Grand Turk or Amber Cove.

If it is after that, and some or all of the people drop out, you can tell the remaining people that the price has gone up, or you can just cancel the villa 24 hours before the excursion starts.

Neither one of those is very palatable. "Hey, people dropped out so YOU get to pay more for the villa!" is a lousy way to start a cruise off. And cancelling outright isn't much better.

My advice, based on booking the Private Oasis:

1) use Paypal.

2) have people send you the money as a "gift" to avoid any fees

3) If a cancellation due to weather occurs, take the refund IN CASH at Guest Services and promptly deposit it when you get back ashore, then refund everyone's payments on Paypal (it's pretty easy and automated). Otherwise, Carnival will send you a check, and it may take weeks to settle with everyone.

And it often IS the day after embark, since it's commonly used as a "waypoint" on the way to Eastern Caribbean ports like Grand Turk or Amber Cove.

Neither one of those is very palatable. "Hey, people dropped out so YOU get to pay more for the villa!" is a lousy way to start a cruise off. And cancelling outright isn't much better.

My advice, based on booking the Private Oasis:

1) use Paypal.

2) have people send you the money as a "gift" to avoid any fees

3) If a cancellation due to weather occurs, take the refund IN CASH at Guest Services and promptly deposit it when you get back ashore, then refund everyone's payments on Paypal (it's pretty easy and automated). Otherwise, Carnival will send you a check, and it may take weeks to settle with everyone.

And that is your opinion. My approach works very well for me with a lot less messing around with money. People respond to it very well since they do not have to pay upfront. It's called marketing and simple management. If you explain all the details to your audience when you place your plan, you will have more response than you can accept. You do it your way, and I will continue to do it my way with a lot less administrative interaction and a lot less hassle since once you are on the ship and have to cancel the cabana, Carnival will refund your fee to your sign and sail card and you do not have to refund anyone's money or lie to paypal with your "gift" dodge.

I agree with what has been posted above. Email the Carnival Excursions Desk ASAP and get yourself put on the wait list ahead of time. I did that for my cruise back in July and when I got on the ship I went directly to the Excursions Desk. I was third on the list...other folks had emailed ahead of me! Luckily, it worked out because we got word a couple hours later that we had a cabana. I rushed down to the Desk and there were still several open so I was able to pick cabana #10, very close to the restrooms and far enough away from the crowded part of the beach that we had no issues and it felt rather private.

Over two cruises with HMC on the itinerary, I'm batting 1.000 on getting a cabana after embarkation, but only .500 on actually getting to HMC (went this July, canceled because of weather in OCT 2016). Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I just read on carnival that there are not waitlists for excursions. I don't know if this is something they recently added or if it's always said that.

Should I still send an email to try and get a cabana at HMC?

Thx