Customs & Immigrations on Amsterdam - Norway cruise

colinla

Traveling on the Koningsdam, Amsterdam to some Norway ports and back to Amsterdam. Upon arrival back in Amsterdam at 7AM, will the boat and passengers have to go through any customs, immigrations, or border controls?

Both the Netherlands and Norway are Schengen.

Perhaps Dutch authorities consider the ship to have been in international waters and thus require international border procedures?

Trying to decide how aggressive I will be on the flight timing home.

I did that cruise last summer and I don't recall any procedures in Amsterdam that might have held us up. I was off the ship by 7:30 and on my way to the airport shortly thereafter. Do allow a fair amount of time for the airport. It took me over an hour to check my bag and then I had to walk a few miles to security and then a few more miles to the gate.

I wouldn't make the flight timing too tight. The cruise port should not be an issue, but the airport can be a big one.

Security is very tight at this airport, taking some time to get through and, if your destination is out of the Schengen area you will have to go through passport control which can be a long wait and very time consuming.

Plan many hours to get through security at Amsterdam airport - did this in September post an Oceania cruise.

They have the most complex and thorough screening I have experienced at any airport. The lines are long. Every suitcase is examined well and they take many off the belt to do a second check. Every person goes through the 360 body scan and there is a pat down afterwords for everyone.

The customs at the Amsterdam pier was a non issue but did take 20 minutes of time.

On our Amsterdam--Norway cruise in August, we self-disembarked and were out the front door of the cruise terminal by 730. No customs or passport control whatsoever.

We didn't have significant issues with the departing customs/passport control/security at AMS. However, YMMV, as seen by the above posts.