Passport card or book ?

CheifM

We have our first cruise in April to the Bahamas on the Elation. I don't want to carry birth certificates and I don't see us doing international travel anytime soon. I have to get 4 of either the card or book so I was wondering does anyone use just the passport card on a cruise and have any issues? Should I just pay for the book and be done with it?

We have our first cruise in April to the Bahamas on the Elation. I don't want to carry birth certificates and I don't see us doing international travel anytime soon. I have to get 4 of either the card or book so I was wondering does anyone use just the passport card on a cruise and have any issues? Should I just pay for the book and be done with it?

If you aren't doing any international travel any time soon just take the birth certificates. The passport card is primarily designed as a document for those who frequently cross the land border and the only advantage that it gives to a cruise passenger is that it may be used on open jaw sailings within the Caribbean, Bermuda, Canada and Mexico. If something goes wrong and you have to return early the card does have the benefit of already having your confirmed information in the State Department database. You would of course experience some delay in flying home if you don't have a passport but how much delay is very much open to question. We have used Enhanced Drivers Licenses to cruise before which are similar to passport cards and had no issues (but then we didn't have issues when we used birth certificates either).

Been using a passport card for 7 Years with no problems yet. The advantage to getting the book is if the ship has problems sometimes they will fly people with passport books back to port. the ones without it have to stick with the ship.

You might save time during embarkation if you bring your passport book. With a BC and passport card, they have to take the time to take a picture of you. We had to wait for a line with a working camera to open up before we could proceed, and they said it was because my husband needed to get his picture taken since he brought only his passport card.

You might save time during embarkation if you bring your passport book. With a BC and passport card, they have to take the time to take a picture of you. We had to wait for a line with a working camera to open up before we could proceed, and they said it was because my husband needed to get his picture taken since he brought only his passport card.

The time saved isn't worth the price of a passport so for me it wouldn't be a deciding factor.

We are traveling to Aruba, Bonaire, and Grand Turk next year so we went ahead and got passports for the trip. Yeah it sucks that it cost us $300 but I rather CYA just in case something bad happens. I did some international travel before getting married but since we do have passports now, we will do more.

In case you didn't know, the passport card is a passport for land crossings and closed loop cruises. You don't use a BC and passport card together. You would save no time for embarkation, and they scan the card the same way, as the book.

If you aren't doing any international travel any time soon just take the birth certificates. The passport card is primarily designed as a document for those who frequently cross the land border and the only advantage that it gives to a cruise passenger is that it may be used on open jaw sailings within the Caribbean, Bermuda, Canada and Mexico. If something goes wrong and you have to return early the card does have the benefit of already having your confirmed information in the State Department database. You would of course experience some delay in flying home if you don't have a passport but how much delay is very much open to question. We have used Enhanced Drivers Licenses to cruise before which are similar to passport cards and had no issues (but then we didn't have issues when we used birth certificates either).

We did this for our first 4 cruises, but having the Passport book makes things so much easier!

I suggest you get the passport book. Yes, it does cost money. But it is good for 10 years, and can serve in many ways as official government issued identification. And, as others have pointed out, it is a CYA in case of problems. In a number of ports, Customs and Immigration has a special line for US issued passports, and it moves much quicker than those using birth certificates and other forms of identification.

To me, I just think everyone should have a passport. It can makes things so much easier.

If someone gets hurt in Bermuda or onboard and needs to get home, you’ll need a passport book. To get the book you need to go to the closest Embassy or Consulate that issues passports (not all do).

Since the cruise is in April, you could spread out the purchasing of Passports. To, say, one every month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suggest you get the passport book. Yes, it does cost money. But it is good for 10 years, and can serve in many ways as official government issued identification. And, as others have pointed out, it is a CYA in case of problems. In a number of ports, Customs and Immigration has a special line for US issued passports, and it moves much quicker than those using birth certificates and other forms of identification.

To me, I just think everyone should have a passport. It can makes things so much easier.

I think that everyone should have the documentation they need for their travel plans. Saying "everyone should have a passport" is very insular thinking and it's thinking even the US government doesn't endorse since they offer so many alternatives. In some instances one could save a little time in line by having a passport but again that's not something that should be a deciding factor.

If someone gets hurt in Bermuda or onboard and needs to get home, you’ll need a passport book. To get the book you need to go to the closest Embassy or Consulate that issues passports (not all do).

Since the cruise is in April, you could spread out the purchasing of Passports. To, say, one every month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One doesn't necessarily need a book, the State Department does have the authority to waive the passport requirements in an emergency or for humanitarian reasons, either of which can be done by a Consulate that doesn't issue passports.

The card will get you on the ship. The book will get you home if something were to happen.

Exactly-

For the most part, the whole purpose of getting a passport for a closed loop cruise is "what if". You are not yet required to have it at all. So to go to the added expense of purchasing the card only for boarding purposes when it doesn't help you in the event of an emergency seems futile to me.

In case you didn't know, the passport card is a passport for land crossings and closed loop cruises. You don't use a BC and passport card together. You would save no time for embarkation, and they scan the card the same way, as the book.

I didn't say we did use the BC and passport card together. I said "my husband needed to get his picture taken since he brought only his passport card."

They did not scan my husband's passport card. They had to take his picture. He didn't even bring a BC. So YES, we would have saved time if he would have brought his passport book, and the staff at the port advised us of that as we were waiting for a line to open up to accommodate us.

The time saved isn't worth the price of a passport so for me it wouldn't be a deciding factor.

The OP said they don't want to bring their BCs. Nobody even considered what you would want in formulating their replies to OP. If someone had asked, "What is cheaper: taking my BC, my passport book, or a passport card," I'm sure you would find answers that satisfied the actual question asked.

As it is, the OP asked whether or not to bring a passport book or passport card. I was only telling them that by both of us bringing our passport books we would have saved time because with both the card and also those only bringing their BCs, it takes time to take their pictures. That's it. So what if it doesn't mean anything to you. I think we can all imagine how long it takes to wait for a special line to open up, then get a picture taken, that doesn't take a genius to figure out.

Obviously passports have uses beyond saving small amounts of time, which others have kindly suggested.

The OP said they don't want to bring their BCs. Nobody even considered what you would want in formulating their replies to OP. If someone had asked, "What is cheaper: taking my BC, my passport book, or a passport card," I'm sure you would find answers that satisfied the actual question asked.

As it is, the OP asked whether or not to bring a passport book or passport card. I was only telling them that by both of us bringing our passport books we would have saved time because with both the card and also those only bringing their BCs, it takes time to take their pictures. That's it. So what if it doesn't mean anything to you. I think we can all imagine how long it takes to wait for a special line to open up, then get a picture taken, that doesn't take a genius to figure out.

Obviously passports have uses beyond saving small amounts of time, which others have kindly suggested.

I apologize if I ruffled your feathers, I was giving the other side of the argument, nothing more and nothing less. I feel anyone making this decision should have all of the information they can get and that includes looking at everything from multiple points of view.

And now that this thread has moved from the Carnival board to the Ask a Cruise Question board I will also add that the book or card question also depends upon the cruise line you are using since some of the more upscale lines require them on all sailings even if the government doesn't.

Thanks for all the replies!!. I was going to go cheap and just bring the BC's.I then though about just getting the cards but I will more than likely just get the books. I guess it's better to have them just in case something does happen. I hope to visit Europe sometime in the near future and that would be one less thing on that checklist.

I agree 100%. I would not travel with someone in my party without a passport book.

OP, when I first started cruising, I carried my state issued ID, my official birth certificate, and the required bridging document, my marriage license. I was worried about them getting damaged or lost, and it was cumbersome to carry all of it. A passport book is much easier for me.

One doesn't necessarily need a book, the State Department does have the authority to waive the passport requirements in an emergency or for humanitarian reasons, either of which can be done by a Consulate that doesn't issue passports.

But you’d still have to find and take time to get to that office.

We have friends that travel with the passport card but the do not travel or cruise internationally except the 3day cruise out of Los Angeles. Ensenada is a 4-5 hour drive from Los Angeles.

Based on your comments, don't get either, just cruise using birth certificates and photo IDs. You have to have the birth certificates to get either a passport or a card, so you have them. Probably 35 % of the passengers will not have passports of either variety (the card is not really a passport).

I didn't say we did use the BC and passport card together. I said "my husband needed to get his picture taken since he brought only his passport card."

They did not scan my husband's passport card. They had to take his picture. He didn't even bring a BC. So YES, we would have saved time if he would have brought his passport book, and the staff at the port advised us of that as we were waiting for a line to open up to accommodate us.

Why did they have to take his picture? Isn't there already a picture in the passport card?

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app