clarification on batteries in luggage (camera and phone and ipad)

creel5857

reading over the American airlines information about luggage it referenced something about taking batteries out of items and lithium battery issues.......do I need to take out my batteries in my camera, smart phone and ipad ??

sorry for crazy question but couldn't find clarification anywhere on this site

All batteries and electronics should be stowed in your carry on. The rule is no Lithium batteries in checked luggage,

The rule is no uninstalled or spare lithium batteries in checked baggage. Batteries correctly installed in their device are OK in checked baggage.

The FAA FAQ on this subject is HERE . The second page of this link has a nice table that shows all the rules.

Applicable paragraph here:

Q2. What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in checked baggage (including gate-checked bags)?

A2. Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered devices—particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up—must be protected from accidental activation. Spare lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage—this includes external battery packs. Electronic cigarettes and vaporizers are also prohibited in checked baggage. “Checked baggage” includes bags checked at the gate or plane side.

ok.....to make sure I understand this correctly......I can take my small camera with battery in it and the extra battery as well as long as extra battery is secured and covered and not floating around loose......I can keep my ipad and phone just the way they are with the battery inside them since I don't have any extra batteries.......and all of this can stay in my carry one going through security ......(..we have tsa precheck and global entry)

ok.....to make sure I understand this correctly......I can take my small camera with battery in it and the extra battery as well as long as extra battery is secured and covered and not floating around loose......I can keep my ipad and phone just the way they are with the battery inside them since I don't have any extra batteries.......and all of this can stay in my carry one going through security ......(..we have tsa precheck and global entry)

Everything you described is OK for your carry on.

With the exception of your extra Lithium battery (assuming your spare battery is a lithium battery) you can put your Ipad, Iphone and camera in your checked baggage if desired. Only spare (uninstalled) LITHIUM batteries are prohibited in checked baggage.

Uninstalled (Spare) Lithium batteries are OK in carry on luggage.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Don't you think your question is best addressed directly to the specific airline you will be flying? Or, better, yet, to the federal authorities?

The spare battery restriction is on large lithium ion batteries. The cut off is 100 watt hours, which is a pretty big, honking battery.

The 100 watt hour limit applies to carry-on lithium ion batteries. For checked batteries the limit is more restrictive.

Q2. What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in checked baggage (including gate-checked bags)?

A2. Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered devices—particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat up—must be protected from accidental activation.
Spare lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggage—this includes external battery packs. Electronic cigarettes and vaporizers are also prohibited in checked baggage. “Checked baggage” includes bags checked at the gate or planeside.
[FAA's emphasis]